• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Eating corners of books

Kayla55

I'm not sure if this is red flag but as child from nervous anxiety I would eat the corners of my books. Not whole page, I'd just nimble pieces of corner pages.

I don't think it's a "red flag" at all. I have definitely heard of other autistic children doing this. Chewing pencils and eating ice cubes are also super common.

When I was a kid, I was denied food for long periods of time, so I developed a habit of eating pencil erasers, and it was hard to un-learn that when I was older.

I'm not sure if this is red flag but as child from nervous anxiety I would eat the corners of my books. Not whole page, I'd just nimble pieces of corner pages.
That is ok. Lots of kids eat pva glue.
I still chew pens and accidentally eat lead off pencils, it is so gross.
I always hate the taste but very easy for me to want to put things in my mouth.
As a child I licked the salt lick my dad had for the horse and kind of wondered what the bran pellets tasted like as well as the molasses but I thought they'd be disgusting.

I don't think it's a "red flag" at all. I have definitely heard of other autistic children doing this. Chewing pencils and eating ice cubes are also super common.

When I was a kid, I was denied food for long periods of time, so I developed a habit of eating pencil erasers, and it was hard to un-learn that when I was older.
As a child I used to tear page from dictionary and decorate it with hearts, smudge colours....cut out magazines pics and place this over my favourite subject book that was covered in newspaper...I was so creative and I wonder when that part of my spirit died?
I get so tired of fancy bag wrappers nowadays, I use brown paper to look recycled and use this to wrap up my crunches and goodies, then use beige string to tie closed.
We invited our friend to sons party and she gave us used gifts, but nice stuff, a good old collect comic, abacus....it was amazing gift. Mostly people don't do this.
I had my hand made jewellery and she sells quality used clothes and it's fun, but I've become so down with bills and quiet season my sales only covered cost of my stall....lost motivation as really need money and not hobby and masking for female image is overload.
More creativity dies.

As a child I used to tear page from dictionary and decorate it with hearts, smudge colours....cut out magazines pics and place this over my favourite subject book that was covered in newspaper...I was so creative and I wonder when that part of my spirit died?
I get so tired of fancy bag wrappers nowadays, I use brown paper to look recycled and use this to wrap up my crunches and goodies, then use beige string to tie closed.
We invited our friend to sons party and she gave us used gifts, but nice stuff, a good old collect comic, abacus....it was amazing gift. Mostly people don't do this.
I had my hand made jewellery and she sells quality used clothes and it's fun, but I've become so down with bills and quiet season my sales only covered cost of my stall....lost motivation as really need money and not hobby and masking for female image is overload.
More creativity dies.
I hope u get back. What u do sounds amazing, why do u not start to try again drawing in books and things. I love doodling too.
And u could just try wrapping random presents with pretty paper and just try to tie a bow.
I believe you can do it, never let ur creativity die, u are probably a cool person.
U inspire me to do some doodles, I love journalling as well.

Sounds understandable to me. Corners are perfectly spots for nibbling. Anxiety drives us to be creative in our attempts to alleviate it.

I used to nibble on books too, but now it's much more difficult. Have you tried nibbling on an iPad or any reading device? It takes a lot more effort and it gets so expensive. :)

I chew on remote controls still, particularly when I'm feeling anxious. I've done this since I was a kid. Clicky pens too! I activate the click with my teeth and it feels super comforting still. I used to really like pens that you clicked with a button on the top but on the side there's a small button to unclick them.

I'd click the top button with my teeth and push my lip against the side button. I could do this very fast and used to get told off at school for doing this! Click click click click click click! Eventually I'd bitten the top button so much it would break. But that didn't stop me, I'd use my incisor to push it in and continue as before!

New Threads

Top Bottom