• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Crazy sleep patterns.

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
My sleep patterns have been all over the place for nearly 2 years now, for the last month or so I’ve been getting better. It’s still fairly mixed up but more often I’m sleeping regular hours, eg: 10:00 pm to 6:00 am.

The last couple of days were fairly mixed up for me, yesterday I didn’t go to bed until 7:00 in the morning and woke up mid afternoon. Today I had to attend a doctor’s appointment so I knew I needed a decent sleep last night. I wasn’t very tired because I only woke up mid afternoon but I made myself go to bed at 2:00 am.

I had a fantastic sleep, so restful. I woke up and the sun was shining and the birds were singing. Then I looked at the clock.

It was 10:10 and I had a doctor’s appointment at 10:30. I made it on time but it was one hell of a rush. When I got there the girl behind the front desk told me that the doctor was running 15 minutes late, I said “Thank god, I can go and get a coffee.”.

You are talking in a past tense so i assume it is fixed now?
Still a fair bit mixed up at the moment but improving. I might get 4 or 5 days in a row where I sleep normal hours and then it starts to get silly again.

I sleep very well normally, I have no trouble getting to sleep, but sometimes I will wake up again after just a few hours and when that happens I'm wide awake and can't go back to sleep for several hours.

I take no drugs or supplements for this, I'm just trying lots of little ways to reinforce what used to be old habits.

everyday i fall asleep one hour later than the previous day.

First time I've heard of someone else going through this.

I have this as well, and I've seen it referred to as "non-24 sleep-wake syndrome". There are articles about it, if you havent seen them.

I personally just sorta roll with it. I used to have terrible insomnia as a kid, but I realize now that the reason is because I was just forcefully going against this sleep schedule. Since I started just letting it happen, I get perfect sleep pretty much every day/night/whatever.

Anxiety and stress are major factors in sleep problems, trying to tackle those might be more productive for you. I tend to be a very calm and relaxed sort of person and I think this is why I sleep so well normally.

Lately for me it has been pleasant daydreams that are interfering with my sleep, and my concentration with video games etc. My future is looking pretty bright at the moment and I have a lot to look forward to.

@Au Naturel mentioned having this as well. He said melatonin works for him, but it doesn't do it for me. When i take it it makes me super sleepy for about 4 hours, but it doesn't always make fall asleep. If it does make me fall asleep i tend to wake up at 5 am, with a lot of anxiety. Even without melatonin i experience a lot of anxiety when i am close to falling asleep or when i am waking up.

Yeah, meds of any sort have no effect on me either.

I'm lucky in that I dont work any sort of traditional job, so no forced schedule that I have to adhere to. I cant imagine what it must be like for someone to have this particular condition, but be forced to work a 9-5 every day regardless of that.

I cant imagine what it must be like for someone to have this particular condition, but be forced to work a 9-5 every day regardless of that.
Having to work used to enforce good sleep habits on me. Sometimes I'd wake up at 2:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep again, so I'd be exhausted all day at work, but being forced to push through like that meant I would certainly sleep well the next night.

Now that I'm retired I no longer have any formal routine and it doesn't really matter all that much if I decide to sleep during the day, but life is a lot more convenient if you're up and around during normal business hours.

Schedules are really stressful, even depressing. I have a very disorderly sleep pattern. My circadian rhythm is broken and it's hard to fix it.

My circadian rhythm is a night owl.
Now that I'm retired, I don't have a regular schedule and only have to go with the
ways of the world when I have an appointment for something.
I always try to make doctor's appointments in the afternoon.
Sometimes early can't be avoided and I do it if I have too, occasionally.

My sleep rhythm is regular unless I have to break it for a reason.
I like to sleep in the mornings after 5 am. Get up at noon.
No problem sleeping, just a different time to do it is natural to me than most others.

New Threads

Top Bottom