• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Zoning out

jade gamble

Hi yesterday when I was at cadets I had a lot of stress to the point that at one time I was sat on a chair staring at one single point on the floor and everything was very quiet and mumbled and I felt like I was just trapped I couldn’t speak and someone had to help me move. I could hear my friend repeatedly saying my name but my head wouldn’t let me respond to him. Is this normal for people with aspergers. Because it was very scary to say the least.

I believe it's called a "shutdown".

From the Inside Out: An Autistic Shutdown

"In example, during my shutdown:

• I am unaware that I am in shutdown at the starting stage. Usually a part of me knows, but the most of me feels confused and off-balance. At this point I can do nothing but be. I have not an ounce of energy or thought process left to help myself or anyone else. I am literally a computer unplugged. (non-responsive, unaware of surroundings, lost somewhere)
  • I might be unable to form complete thoughts or talk aloud.
  • I spend the majority of time alone, in isolation and away from people. However, I could be sitting in the same room as someone else, but be lost in my mind.
  • As a result of little to no energy whatsoever, I skip showers, don’t brush my hair, stay in my pajamas, don’t eat. (This is different than depression. I am too tired to do anything, even if a part of me wants to.)
  • I finally feel like I can breathe and not think.
  • I curl up into a ball and sleep."
I've often lost the ability to speak, think coherently, and function, but I've never lost the ability to move.

Welcome to the Site! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process :)

I too was in Cadets at one point; left because I felt it was interfering with school and time to spend with my family

Hi I go through this too and had people repeat my name to me or say hi and I litterally couldn’t hear them,I find I am worse when I’m out somewhere though it does happen at home aswell.

What or where is 'Cadets'? All I can think of is this. And I don't think that's what you mean.

cadets.jpg

I’ve zoned out before.
Not to the extent of not being able to move, just not able to hear...it’s pretty unfocused and tuned out the world. I’m not quite sure why I do it or if there are any triggers but it can be embarrassing, confusing and upsetting when it happens.

Yes, I go non-responsive if under a lot of stress or upset by something, or too much going on at once - exactly as you describe - I can hear someone trying to get me to respond but my head won't let me, and I stare at a spot on the wall or something. I need a while to reset and it's best that people leave me alone.

What or where is 'Cadets'? All I can think of is this. And I don't think that's what you mean.

View attachment 49603

Cadets is a fundamental thing kids between the ages of 12 to 17 or 18 can attend. It's basically Military things (Drills, Marksmanship w/ air rifles and Exercises along w/ Outdoors things along w/ being given and maintaining a Uniform). There's also a similar thing for the Navy (generally called the Sea Cadets). If you do well enough in your duties and performances you also get promoted.

It can also help if one wants to join the Military when they're older as well. (My one friends brother was in Cadets with me and after he was done school and done w/ Cadets where I was, he was able to join the Canadian Forces easier I'm sure since he had experience)

I was given a Marksmanship Badge/Patch prior to leaving due to how well I did at that. Even got a C.O's Choice Award too

Oh my god so many replies. I had one today and my friend thought I couldn’t hear him. When I was half out of it he got me to get my headphones out and put on some music as he knows it helps me. I also get very shaky like my leg or hand begins to shake uncontrollably when I come out of it or just because of stress without shutting down. Yes I’m in the air cadets it’s really good.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom