• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Zoloft withdrawal...

Ameriblush

Violin player.
Even though I set constant reminders for myself, I get chided by my parents, and I have a pill tray, I keep forgetting to take the zoloft I was prescribed. On several occasions, including last night, I went through mood swings, hatred, exhaustion, depression, and violent behavior with no idea what it was until recently.
It's driving a rift between me and my family and ruining my schoolwork. I'm afraid to tell my parents by myself because they'll just yell at me and say "do better" but I'm trying my damndest to Remember to do things on time, but I'm so confused and frustrated with school I keep forgetting to, and I feel like the just try harder message is driving me insane when I can't rely on myself. What do I do?

If you have a smartphone, you could get an app that beeps you a reminder when it's time to take the next dose. I used Medisafe when I had to manage about 10 meds at once when I got really sick last year. The reminder sounds like someone shaking a prescription bottle, which is kind of cute. But you could also use Evernote to remind you to do any thing at any time.

If you don't have a smartphone, you could stick a note on your bathroom mirror.

Last edited:
Wonderfully effective, try a special pill bottle with a beeping reminder cap. The pharmacist sells those, or can order one for you. :)

I remember Zoloft withdrawls. It's an incredibly effective medication, but oh man if you forget to take it! I like some of the suggestions above, and even use some of them. I've finally, and reluctantly, started using my smartphone to help me organize myself a bit, and it really does help. It's like utilizing an external harddrive, but for your brain. When you realize you don't have to use up so much of your brainpower just to remember little things, it frees up space to concentrate on things like school, and general executive functioning.
As for you parents, maybe write a letter describing your feelings of being overwhelmed. Make them aware of how their 'advice' just makes these feelings worse. Tell them what is helpful and what is not, and lay it all out as diplomatically as possible. If your parents don't heed your words than they have no one to blame but themselves when things don't get better. It's not all on you to fix everything, you're bound by limitations just like the rest of us are, and none of that is your fault.

In my opinion it would have been a lot better not to be put on a highly addictive medication to start with, I see these drugs as a "quick fix" instead of giving people proper support to deal with their issues and anxiety, but unfortunately in the long term they can in my opinion cause more damage than good. If I was you I'd be trying to gradually come off them while looking for real support, perhaps a charity for instance.

I suffer from memory problems, especially short term memory and I also sometimes forget to take my medication since I have an underactive thyroid (it's not a drug in my case). If you must keep taking the drugs you have already been given some great suggestions and you would still need to take them for a while anyway even if you wanted to reduce.

Last edited:
Not sure how many times a day you have to take your Zoloft but I got into the habit of taking my daily meds at the same time I brush my teeth in the morning, something I always do. So you could try linking it to something you do regularly at about the same time every day. Another thing that's helped me, as I can be forgetful, is using those weekly pill box dispenser thingys. There's a compartment for each day so if I can't recall taking my meds I can check the pill box and if today is empty then I know I've remembered to take them. I use one box for am meds and one for pm meds. Drug stores sell these and they are cheap. Hope you find something on this site that works for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom