• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

YouTube video on Asperger's: Not a disorder? Seems minimizing.

Neonatal RRT

V.I.P Member
Curious about everyone's thoughts on this. Mark Hutton, M.A. has put out several short videos on dealing with the Asperger's condition, especially from a relationship perspective (NT-ASD couples relationships, etc.). I think his heart is in the right place with this, perhaps trying to allow neurotypicals to be more accepting of the neurodiversity associated with ASD-1/Asperger's individuals. I believe this is in reference to some statements made by Cambridge University autism researcher, Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen. For frame of reference, Dr. Baron-Cohen is a bit "hit and miss" with his conclusions.

At any rate, the video starts out basically pointing out that,...paraphrasing,...individuals with Asperger's have a different way of thinking and perspective,...and that because of this,..."typicals" call this a "disorder". Whereas, many folks with Asperger's are just fine with who they are and do not see themselves with a disorder. It's the "typicals" that are owning the word "disorder". Sounds noble and "woke",...but misses the mark by a long shot.

My problems with this video is that people (neurotypicals) who are seeking information about Asperger's may view this and receive the wrong message. (1). The video is too brief to the point where there are partial truths and inaccuracies. (2). The way it was presented makes no mention of all of the signs, symptoms, traits, neuroanatomy, and physiology that make Asperger's part of the autism spectrum, and makes it significantly more than just a "neurodiversity" condition. It sends the wrong message that autism is a psychological or psychiatric condition,...when we all know that it is also much, much more than that. (3). Makes no mention of the Asperger's/ASD-1 experience. (4.) Once again, we have researchers, who despite their knowledge on the topic, still appear to lack perspective and overlook the ASD-1/Asperger's experience. (5.) It seems quite minimizing to the point where,...obviously,...I am quite concerned that well-meaning, but ignorant people, are going to view this, receive the wrong message, and make things a lot worse for the autistics in their lives.

We have all had people in our lives that have minimized us in one way or another. This doesn't help, especially when he does quite a few videos on NT-ASD relationships.

Last edited:
How many with ASD would watch one video and give up? I think, when it becomes an interest, people probably invest time and effort into many online tests, reading websites, videos etc.

Now, some might then be of the opinion it's not a disorder and collect evidence that supports their theory. We live in a day and age with the internet where you can pretty much filter your view of reality to suit your own needs and wants.

I think each article with regards to ASD probably has points that people might relate to, and others that don't fit them. After all, it's a spectrum. One video, or article will never be enough to describe everyone's experiences on the spectrum.

Ed

I started listening but became very frustrated with it right from the start. My frustration starts with "object oriented". This over simplifies autisim and misidentifies autisim right from the start. One might as well say "robots vs humans".

I appreciate the idea of the message in general; that disorder is perspective. But I can't get past the robots vs humans thing. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Curious about everyone's thoughts on this. Mark Hutton, M.A. has put out several short videos on dealing with the Asperger's condition, especially from a relationship perspective (NT-ASD couples relationships, etc.). I think his heart is in the right place with this, perhaps trying to allow neurotypicals to be more accepting of the neurodiversity associated with ASD-1/Asperger's individuals. I believe this is in reference to some statements made by Cambridge University autism researcher, Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen. For frame of reference, Dr. Baron-Cohen is a bit "hit and miss" with his conclusions.

At any rate, the video starts out basically pointing out that,...paraphrasing,...individuals with Asperger's have a different way of thinking and perspective,...and that because of this,..."typicals" call this a "disorder". Whereas, many folks with Asperger's are just fine with who they are and do not see themselves with a disorder. It's the "typicals" that are owning the word "disorder". Sounds noble and "woke",...but misses the mark by a long shot.

My problems with this video is that people (neurotypicals) who are seeking information about Asperger's may view this and receive the wrong message. (1). The video is too brief to the point where there are partial truths and inaccuracies. (2). The way it was presented makes no mention of all the signs and symptoms that make Asperger's part of the autism spectrum, which makes it significantly more than just a "neurodiversity" condition. (3). Makes no mention of the Asperger's/ASD-1 experience. (4.) Once again, we have researchers, who despite their knowledge on the topic, still appear to lack perspective and overlook the ASD-1/Asperger's experience. (5.) It seems quite minimizing to the point where,...obviously,...I am quite concerned that well-meaning, but ignorant people, are going to view this, receive the wrong message, and make things a lot worse for the autistics in their lives.

I do like the chart (people and object orientation).

It might be simplified but it aims to give the audience an overview. That was probably his intention. You don't need a video with tons of information, several short tracks with digestible amounts of information are better at reaching an audience and promoting awareness.

As a sidenote, I also dislike the common trend of sugarcoating conditions, disabilities etc. It belittles the struggles of affected people. I'd like a more factual approach based on research.

How many with ASD would watch one video and give up?
Ed

Not really my point with this. I am far more concerned about the neurotypical viewing this, looking at a person with an ASD, and saying, "See, it's just neurodiversity." "Everyone's brain is different." Meanwhile, someone with an ASD is being, once again, minimized and shut down.

He poses this as a question. "Is it neurodiversity?" Then goes on to discuss the topic with interesting "talking points". This is the same tactic used to spread disinformation on those political op-ed programs.

I do like the chart (people and object orientation).

It might be simplified but it aims to give the audience an overview. That was probably his intention. You don't need a video with tons of information, several short tracks with digestible amounts of information are better at reaching an audience and promoting awareness.

The problem is that short, brief videos, text, etc. can easily be taken out of context,...and becomes false information.

I also get tired of people pretending that the mild end of ASD is just a gift and a personality trait and a quirk. For me I have no gifts and I will always be stuck with dead end jobs. AS is more than just being brilliant and a different way of thinking. If it didn't cause any impairments, you wouldn't have autism.

Why not just say "I do not see my autism as a disability because I feel it has no affect on me and it's the world that makes it be a problem because it is not built for me. I am lucky to have this skill because without it, I would not be as successful and I would be stuck with being on disability and welfare benefits. Because of my skill, people are able to overlook my problems and just accept me." That way they are speaking of themselves and only talking about their experience and not speaking for others.

Then people wonder why others say online that others are faking being autistic and think it's some sort of quirk and that autism is cool. I have also found activists to be one of the most toxic groups out there because usually they are closed minded and not open to different perspectives and they pretend it's all one size fits all.

Tony Attwoood, ugh, I had to leave in the middle of his speech because he wouldn't stop talking about how logical aspies are and how they are great at math. It just made me feel dumb and wonder "what do I have then, why hasn't my disorder been described yet?"

And I didn't watch the video so my comment is just based off of what I have seen in general from autism supremists and activists. I also feel this is a form of gaslighting as well for those on the autistic spectrum. A way to question yourself and your diagnoses because you are not like those aspies they are describing who are successful and so smart and so logical and you must not have tried hard enough and must be making excuses.

. For me I have no gifts and I will always be stuck with dead end jobs. AS is more than just being brilliant and a different way of thinking. If it didn't cause any impairments, you wouldn't have autism.

This is me too! The sterotypes kept me from investigating a.s.d. and identifying myself earlier. I can be really smart in some subjects but not math. The autist as a "robot" is a trope that needs to die. I am not "object oriented". I am, instead, a great philosopher on the human condition and with a degree of alexythemia, I find myself focused more on emotions rather than less.

I also didn't connect with the idea that Aspies are "object-oriented." It's almost as if he's suggesting that people on the spectrum just don't care that much about others. We're.just so.focused.on.our.objects. -___-He phrased it as a question rather than a conclusion, but if he's really asking, the answer for me is, "No." The effort to destigmatize autism is a noble one but I guess it's a bit like vision. Some people have vision deficits that are solved by wearing glasses or contacts. Others have vision problems so severe that it's a disability. I would imagine that someone wearing glasses would not consider themselves disabled, whereas someone who needs a cane, screen reader, and support dog would. For some of us, being on the spectrum might just be like wearing glasses. You definitely have deficits but you can pretty easily navigate the world around you. While for others, it's a serious disability.

I also shudder at some of the attempts to play up our "strengths." They don't apply to everyone and it comes across as a little patronizing. "Hey, you may never have close friends or romantic relationships but at least you're good at math! Oh, you're not good at math? Well...you're definitely still going to struggle with relationships but at least you've got your objects!"

Last edited:
Aspergers/asd 1 completely ruins your life, and there is no real fix. The entire neurodiversity movement, autism acceptance, most of the things tony attwood says are just a band aid. A lot of us have family that wouldn't want to see us commit suicide, so they say all these things to keep us sticking around. It really doesn't matter how many theories or takes on autism you read, nothing changes our reality.

The good at math and object oriented stereotype seems to be true for me, but it doesn't really make anything better. I think autism can just amplify already genetically existing strengths/preferences, but it doesn't cause them. Without autism Temple Grandin would have been a regular person with above average visual thinking, but not as exceptional and one sided as she is with autism, that's my theory on it anyways

But if you believe in "don't let perfect be the enemy of good"
Many aspies don't
than it would make sense to encourage some of us who can possibly get a good career in stem to focus on that. When people say that some aspies are good at math/logic they are trying to make the most of what we have, not fix autism.

Last edited:
He's not hit and miss he's very!neurotypical .

He did some good work with presenting the imaging studies of autistic neurons,...I was giving him some credit for that. Of course, difficult to argue and have an opinion about images of neurons,...pretty obvious,...a "no brainer".

You're correct though about many autistic psychological researchers,...they tend to come at their job from an unsympathetic and disconnected perspective,...almost like they were studying a different species during their lectures. Which seems a bit odd given that they are psychologists,...and should know better. I tend to put my mental energy into learning the medical model, imaging, etc,...and those I find more useful,...but when they try to come up with some explanations for certain behaviors and ways of thinking,...it becomes a bit degrading and not-at-all how I would characterize things. It's sort of this weird, almost Freudian school of thought, that can come off as a bit bizarre at times.

It's a disorder for some people, and isn't for others.

I have deficits in some areas, and spectacular strengths in other areas. I accept it all, for the most part, and think it all balances out. I don't consider myself disabled (the term "differently abled" might actually apply to me :p I have some unusual talents). It really bugs me when I mention something that is a weakness for me, and people take it to mean I'm being down on myself. I'm not, I'm just stating a fact. There are plenty of things that I'm great at. My friends seem to think I don't know that.

My suspicion (without having watched the video, full disclosure) is that the creator of said video is in a similar boat. Of course, that's only one perspective. There are plenty of people who are more negatively affected than positively affected and they are disabled by the condition in a significant way.

We have all had people in our lives that have minimized us in one way or another.

Basically it is pragmatic for them keeping power over how reality is described, with themselves.

I see this as yet another control function on their part: it is way for them to insist their view, their “yardstick” is correct.

Also could be they need to get published (again) and youtube is a step, a tool towards that goal.

New Threads

Top Bottom