• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Year In Music 2021

Binary_Bark

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.png
    2.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 03.png
    03.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 04.png
    04.png
    107 KB · Views: 78
  • 05.png
    05.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 06.png
    06.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 07.png
    07.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 08.png
    08.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I love the idea, however, your link doesn’t work.

I used Spotify for 98000 minutes this year, 38005 minutes of which were spent listening to my favorite podcast, which is Crime in Sports, a true crime/comedy podcast about criminal athletes.

Other than that it shows I’ve mostly been listening to dance music and hip hop from the 90’s and 00’s and drum and bass from the 00’s up until now. And one song I was obsessed with for a few weeks is my #1 track this year.

927DE86D-F4B6-4A11-B282-93E1640E0158.jpeg

ETA link to playlist
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1EUMDoJuT8yJsl?si=sazx8yUoQBOsrVijDem9Sg

Last edited:
Hehe, if you figure it out, let me know. For now I’ve just written out the highlights :)

I don't use Spotify. Last.fm also has such statistics, but I'll need to wait until 2021 is over to see statistics for that year.

I stopped using Spotify very early on. Originally they let you put money on your account and buy songs for 50 pence per track.

I have to own my music. Mind you, whilst I appreciate the aesthetics of CD's and Vinyls (mainly for the artwork) I solely collect digital music now. Otherwise I'd need a room dedicated to a music collection, and that isn't practical. Plus, whilst I love music, I dislike most music I hear. I've never encountered an album where I loved every single song. As such, buying an album is a waste of time for me, when I'd probably want to keep 25-40% of the tracks on said album.

For those who like to buy, a site called MP3Million does tracks for around 10 cents a piece and is somehow legal. I guess because 10 cents is actually a lot more than artists get through Spotify etc per play of their song.

I use Bandcamp for the lesser known/underground artists. Also Soundcloud, but that tends not to have many options to download tracks. Amazon actually has a surprising amount of music that I can't find through other sources. Especially for UK Grime and Drill artists.

I often pick a song of the year. It's not a song created in said year, but it's one I discovered and then played again and again and again.

This one I have listened to literally for days on end, on repeat. Still haven't killed my enjoyment of it.

Ed

I use Bandcamp quite a lot. I only use sites that let you download music, and only those that offer lossless downloads (FLAC, for example). Other sites are Qobuz and Deezer, but I can't get Qobuz, and many other such services, in my country.

I don't listen to new music that often - usually the same old things over and over.

However, this year I did get a new album, Detour de Force, by Barenaked Ladies. I love looking for a clever reference or turn of phrase in their lyrics. In just the first song, Flip, there are these references:

"Is you is or is you ain't" - From "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby", written by Louis Jordin and Billy Austin and recorded in 1943.
"Whether you're an animal or vegetable or mineral" - A reference to the typical first question in the 21-questions game, or possibly a reference to "Modern Major General" in The Pirates of Penzance.
"Am I coming off like my hits don't stink?" - Instead of "hits", the original phrase uses a profanity, which is also an anagram of "hits".
"This is the church, This is the steeple" - From a children's rhyme.

...and that's enough because otherwise I'll monologue forever.

This year, my wife and daughter got a few Billie Eilish albums. I thought her music was good, but not necessarily my thing. Then I heard My Future. That song is incredible - soothing, hypnotic, and with a good message!

Lastly, my son introduced me to Chillhop, a youtube channel. It's very relaxing and easy for me to listen to when I need to concentrate but still need a little background noise.

It was all Lionel Monckton & British light music all the way down on Spotify. I tend to listen to a lot on YouTube, the local AM stations, and records.

My actual year in music was a mix of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, ambient chill/lofi, the Dead Kennedys, IWW songs, Catholic hymnody, a pile of sheet music, and a few large stacks of records and wax cylinders.

New Threads

Top Bottom