• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your normal body temperature

Effy

self-advocating autistic
Does it run low? High? "Just right"?

Mine is 96.2F. Basically, I just add two degrees so others who DON'T know me/aren't familiar with my normal body temp understand. 97F is 99F, 98F is 100F, and so on. It runs low.

Due to an injury, I've had to go to the doctor's a lot this year, and every time except one that they took my body temperature, it was lower than most peoples.

Oh my. Haven't had my temperature taken in years. But I used to run pretty much the norm....98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

According to a lecture series I listened to a while back (at least, I think it was in this lecture series...and the title is terrible, but the content is great), delivered by a Yale neurologist, it's actually a myth that 98.6F is the "normal" body temperature. It varies from person to person; most of the time it's actually a bit lower than that.

I am trying to figure that out myself. I'm a penguin so I'm a little different. I learn penguins body temperature is 39C or 102 F. I can say I'm a penguin since I slept in a tent before in 0C for three nights without heat. I taken pictures of frozen waterfalls in -20C for 4 hours. I also have a preference for colder temperatures that most humans hate. This makes me a penguin :penguin:

If I have to believe all my thermometers in the house... I should be comatose and dying. I've been told, by former partners that I often feel quite cold physically and my often rather pale skintone doesn't really do it favors. So there's that...

But the last time I took my temperature with 3 different thermometers around the house they all started beeping like crazy since they all gave me temperatures between 88 and 90F/31 to 33C.

Considering what my body should act like at those temperatures and the fact that I'm still able to get out of bed, hold a conversation and do everything in daily life (and to boot in a more sane way than booth my ill parents), I just assume they're all broken... or I'm actually some weird freak, lol. If it drops more, I might look for a coldsuit, much like Victor Fries though, lol... and bother you all with terrible puns and one-liners like: "Let's kick some ice"... I might even give someone the cold shoulder, lol

According to a lecture series I listened to a while back (at least, I think it was in this lecture series...and the title is terrible, but the content is great), delivered by a Yale neurologist, it's actually a myth that 98.6F is the "normal" body temperature. It varies from person to person; most of the time it's actually a bit lower than that.
Yes! I was sort of being lazy/too tired to find the research declaring the "norm" is a myth. :oops:

Mine usually runs around 98 or so. It seems like every other day, one of my ears feels like it's burning hot and it'll be 99-100. Anyone know why? Sorry for an odd medical question. Lol.

My body temperatures is just about always a little below 98.6, usually around 98.4

My normal body temperature is lower than "normal"
Its always 96.3 - 96.5.

One more quirk... I hate hot weather "it sucks the life out of me."

Not sure about my body temperature overall, but I know my hands and feet are typically cold. But I think this has more to do with my anxiety and tension in my body than anything else. I think being sensitive to temperatures may be common with those with ASD. I cannot sleep when it is too hot either. This is quite common though, I suspect.

With fever being a symptom of Covid 19, this is something I am wondering about too.
My wife claims my feet are always "unnaturally" cold, and I am comfortable in low temp environments.
My body temp also seems to be around 35.6C (96F)

I agree with the above posts that for a lot of people on the spectrum, it's probably caused by accompanying effects like bad blood circulation (my extremities are cold most of the time, too, and when my hands are not room temperature, I feel really uncomfortable).

One anecdotal detail I want to share is that I don't leave a "heat mark" as other people usually do (which hints at below-average body temperature). By that I mean, when I sit on a chair for a while and then get up, it is not noticeably warmer than usual. I have been jokingly called a vampire because of this.

My head, however, is always so warm to the touch that others will often think I have a fever when they notice. Cannot explain.

I think my normal is higher than average and I often have around 37 or 37,1 C (98,6-98,8 F) even when I'm healthy. After recovering from some infection it often remains on this values and I stop measuring it. Also, I sometimes get 37,5 just because of heat.

Mine is usually 97.something. I rarely get a fever, even when I'm really sick, and I actually suspect that my "threshold" for fever should be lower, because every time I feel like utter crap, swollen lymph nodes etc, my temperature isn't in "fever" range.

Mine’s around 97.2 F. I feel quite feverish at 98.6. Plus my body is extremely reluctant to run a fever, making it look like I’m not near as sick as I actually am (for example when I was in college one day I went in to the student health center because I was pretty darn sure I had strep throat, but they insisted my temperature wasn’t high enough for that to possibly be the case, and they barely even glanced in my throat before sending me on my way. Yeah, guess who was back five days later because her temperature had shot up to 103 literally overnight. Amazing how much more seriously they took me then (and then they would do a strep test, and it turned out that I did have strep, after all))

New Threads

Top Bottom