• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nikolas Di Domenico

TheLostCosmonaut
I would love to learn about who you look up to and why!

My idol is Jeremy Powers the 4x National Cyclocross Champion. The reason for this is because of how he is life was affected as a kid with ADD. He is a very nice and caring hero to me and I try to catch up with him on facebook, or in person. He also brings a very good name to the sport of cycling in general and is a very positive role model. If you want to learn about me meeting Jeremy and some of the things he has done check out my blog post

21587157_10210302307257245_7175286477060212256_o.jpg

18446806_1419290078131622_8889613521223369673_n.jpg

I would love to learn about who you look up to and why!

My idol is Jeremy Powers the 4x National Cyclocross Champion. The reason for this is because of how he is life was affected as a kid with ADD. He is a very nice and caring hero to me and I try to catch up with him on facebook, or in person. He also brings a very good name to the sport of cycling in general and is a very positive role model. If you want to learn about me meeting Jeremy and some of the things he has done check out my blog post

21587157_10210302307257245_7175286477060212256_o.jpg

18446806_1419290078131622_8889613521223369673_n.jpg

Super cool...
Wow I have to think on this one... too many of them.

That's a tough one for me, in fact I struggled for many years because I had no role model in my family, from famous individuals or even in books. I grew up in a bit of a sexist, girls wear dresses and like pink while boys get to like blue and do all the fun stuff lol. Needless to say I was not exposed to many strong women that I could look up to as I felt forced to fit a girly stereotype. It's awesome how many more women are stepping up into strong roles and becoming just as acknowledged even in cartoons and as super heroes because as a kid I felt like I was just supposed to shut up, wear a pretty dress and destined to be cleaning and kitchen work. How could I look up to anyone that supports that when I want none of that?

Now there are many strong women stepping up that I admire so it would be hard to list just one. However as an adult I have come to admire my grandmother for things I missed when I was little. She may be more of the traditional female role but not only does she enjoy the 'homemaker' role she is more than that. She is a strong woman, very patient and kind. She is so loving and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She has been through much in her past but is tough and through it all still so positive and nice to everyone.

Bill Gates. Intellect that equaled money.
And my favourite passtime at my fingertips!
PC.

When I was a boy, Evel Knievel was my idol. I knew everything there was to know about him and I even tried to emulate him. When I got older, I learned that he was actually not a decent human being. As I've matured, I have found much in the character and life of Martin Luther worthy of admiration. He was a great man of faith, intellect, and character. As I've studied the man, I have found that we shared many of the same struggles in life and faith.

23179852_135429867156.jpg
lossy-page1-220px-Martin_Luther_by_Cranach-restoration.tif.jpg
Very Interesting, about Evel I never knew he wasn't a decent man.

My grandfather. He was coast guard, went to Stanford, worked as a chemist for the government and spent the last years of his life raising me and running a specialty jeweler business. He had so many amazing accomplishments and had a strong moral code. He was a man who knew the meaning of honor and had a insatiable thirst for knowledge, and the self discipline to accomplish whatever he set out to do. Almost anyone you would speak to would describe him in a similar way, he was an amazing man.

The closest thing I have to an idol is Aletta Jacobs, the first woman to officially attend university in the Netherlands, the first Dutch female physician, public health activist and a prominent activist for women's suffrage and feminism. More on her life and legacy: Aletta Jacobs - Wikipedia

I look up to Gandhi, Martin Luther, Jesus and any hero that has stood his ground for what is right. I want to make them proud and do my part.

I idolize no one, because if I ever admitted to doing so, it would be followed by a rant from someone about how imperfect they are; and they would be correct.

I idolize no one, because if I ever admitted to doing so, it would be followed by a rant from someone about how imperfect they are; and they would be correct.
If you do not idolize anyone, would you have learned language? You could be sitting in a hole forgotten, or you could admire what you like about a model and use that person as a springboard. Those are your choices. Being correct was always a risk we took following a model. It was never about being right. I always fought for those I believe in. Like those before me. They give me strength. They provide wisdom, and I in turn provide wisdom for others in the future.

(Kind of just making this up as I go.) XD

Ralph Steadman, I wish I had half his skill. He is an amazing artist who is not afraid to draw things ugly and messy. And somehow or another he even makes money making an inky mess. And he plays ukulele.
Amy and David Sedaris. Wish they were my siblings, they just seem like they would be fun at Christmas. I know, lots of people feel the same about them as me. And Amy even has bunnies. Wish I could think of someone I know personally to idolize but the the problem with that is if I know them I also tend to know plenty of reasons I don't want to be them. With famous people you sometimes just know the good parts. Unless they are the type tabloids love.

If you do not idolize anyone, would you have learned language? You could be sitting in a hole forgotten, or you could admire what you like about a model and use that person as a springboard. Those are your choices. Being correct was always a risk we took following a model. It was never about being right. I always fought for those I believe in. Like those before me. They give me strength. They provide wisdom, and I in turn provide wisdom for others in the future.

(Kind of just making this up as I go.) XD
I agree with Ragnahawk, there has to be someone in your life that you look up to.

Ralph Steadman, I wish I had half his skill. He is an amazing artist who is not afraid to draw things ugly and messy. And somehow or another he even makes money making an inky mess. And he plays ukulele.
Amy and David Sedaris. Wish they were my siblings, they just seem like they would be fun at Christmas. I know, lots of people feel the same about them as me. And Amy even has bunnies. Wish I could think of someone I know personally to idolize but the the problem with that is if I know them I also tend to know plenty of reasons I don't want to be them. With famous people you sometimes just know the good parts. Unless they are the type tabloids love.
Nice, I just looked up Ralph Steadman and he has very interesting art.

Yeah, he cheated on his wife, beat a reporter he didn't like, wasted millions on frivolous living, etc, etc. For someone who was supposed to be a role model, he really wasn't much of one. There was a documentary made about him in his own words. He admitted to everything he had done. I can't recall the name, but I think it was made in the 80's.
Interesting! :)

Scott Carpenter; Gordon Cooper; John Glenn; Gus Grissom; Wally Schirra; Alan Shepard; Deke Slayton

mercury_test_pilots-1.jpg

America's First Mercury Astronauts.

Microsoft boss Bill Gates.

Why? I read somewhere a few years back that he has Asperger's, and yet is still in the top 5 richest guys in the World having created MS back in the 70's, apparently up to a couple of years ago he was THE richest, I'm sure he could afford to lend me a Grand for a 4K TV and an Xbox One X, the new console comes out next week.

Love the movie the right stuff, I am largely into aircraft and model building.

Wally Schirra was my father's friend at the Naval Academy. Class of 46. ;) So my family was always invested in the 60s space race.

I've been building plastic models since 1963. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom