• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your favorite videogames of all-time?

. . .

V.I.P Member
It seems like quite a few people on the spectrum are into videogames so I figured I'd make a thread asking the users here what their favorite videogames of all-time are.

Mine, in no particular order, are:

Zelda: A Link to the Past (this could very well be my favorite game of all-time. I used to play this very frequently and have probably beaten it 20+ times)

Zelda_SNES.jpg

Final Fantasy VII (I played this the day it came out back in 1997. I had loved the Final Fantasy series since I was five or six years old when I had played Mystic Quest and was glad that this game made the Final Fantasy series more well-known)

Goldeneye 007 (this is one of the first few games where I actually enjoyed multiplayer mode just as much as the standard mode)

Perfect Dark (Perfect Dark was pretty much a more advanced version of Goldeneye and I eventually came to enjoy it more than Goldeneye, but Goldeneye, which came out before Perfect Dark, was more innovative)

610.jpg

Final Fantasy V (I played this game for about three days straight a couple Summers ago, that's how much I loved it. I played the original Japanese version with an English translation via the emulator ZSNES)

final-fantasy-v-snes-cover-front-jp-33287.jpg

Super Mario RPG (this may be hard to believe, but this is almost as good as some Final Fantasy games)

Secret of Mana (IMO this is better than Chrono Trigger. I never cared nearly as much for Chrono Trigger as some people do. I don't hate Chrono Trigger, but it's a bit overrated IMO)

large.jpg

Shadowrun (one of the best hidden gem games you'll ever play. Very, very unique)

Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I initially didn't care much for this but eventually came to love it)

Zelda: Majora's Mask (this is a bit underrated IMO. I liked it just as much, if not more, than Ocarina of Time)

Final Fantasy IV (one of the first Final Fantasy games I ever played)

Final Fantasy VI (lots consider this to be the best Final Fantasy game on the SNES)

157570-final-fantasy-vi.jpg

Final Fantasy X (the last Final Fantasy game to be released on the original Playstation. I didn't expect to like it much, but I loved it)

Final Fantasy VIII (this is one of the only Final Fantasy games I never beat. I gave it back to my friend who I was borrowing it from shortly before I would have beat it)

Donkey Kong Country 2 (not entirely sure why, but I preferred this to the first Donkey Kong)

Super Mario World (the first SNES game I ever played)

Super Mario Bros. 3 (I like this even more than the original Super Mario Brothers)

20090212031535!Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

What do you folks think of my list? Is there anything on my list that you'd also put on your favorites list?

*Note - as you can see, most of the above titles are quite old. This is because I haven't owned a console for . . . about ten years now. I likely forgot to mention some great games, but the above titles will suffice.

Feel free to list games from any period.

The half life series is the best thing I've ever laid eyes on. All other valve games are pretty amazing too, but especially Team Fortress 2. The original red faction is my favorite non-valve game.

A single game as "the best one" is hard I guess.

There's a couple of gameseries that come to mind as good. Half-life got mentioned earlier. Those were both good. But I also enjoyed Fallout 3 & New Vegas (and actually the entire Fallout universe). I've had a blast with Diablo 2 years ago, it was good... but it wasn't mindblowing to me. Back then... yeah, it was good. Besides that... Megaman X was awesome, as was Super Mario Bros 3.

But that's a small selection of games which I thought were pretty good.

Anarchy Online would be my favourite one, period. Ability to customise your character in far greater detail than any other MMORPG I've played since, an interesting storyline, lots of solo content if you don't have time to team or don't want to team, great community, lots of humour [i.e. a boss that can force your character into disco mode for 30 seconds], and overall a challenging game. Sometimes, twinking a character was almost like a maths lesson, with me making calculations everywhere to make sure I had enough points in <x> area in order to put on a particular item. I haven't seriously played since 2009 but I still miss the game dearly.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries was a ball to play. Basically, strap yourself into a mech and blast things. I also liked the idea of customising your own mech.

Mechwarrior 3 was fun as well, especially with the whole "limited resources" aspect. You were able to kill other mechs and cannibalise their parts in order to maintain yours, because you're stranded and you need to reach your escape point in one piece.

Diablo was an awesome dungeon game. I lost hours over it. Although I admit to cheating at the very end because it was the only way I could beat the boss, heh.

Mario on the NES was very cool. I wasn't very good at the game but I loved it all the same.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES was another cool game. The only downside was that my favourite character, Raphael, was useless, while another character, Donatello, was quite overpowered because he had the longest range.

Starcraft was a really cool strategic game, although I wasn't very good at strategy, so Zerg suited me best. Zerg = spawn structures and overlords, spawn armies, and SWARM. Great storyline that accompanied it as well.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES was another cool game. The only downside was that my favourite character, Raphael, was useless, while another character, Donatello, was quite overpowered because he had the longest range.

Those dreaded swimming levels :wtf:

Like most games I've tried: Star Ocean 2nd Evolution;Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Covenant of the Plume; FF4 & 3, Tactics Advance & A2, Chrono Trigger, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow & trying Order of Ecclesia now but got a bit stuck there, for now! Not beaten the VPs, yet, either & my SO2E disc gave up before I could try 'universe' levels, sadly. Then, I can't be bothered with the FFIV tails, 'superbosses' & that Rainbow Pudding (got it dropped once, only to get wiped out before saving, like you do) but the rest was fun.

Also, for SO2E, due to the disc giving up, I didn't finish the Maze of Tribulations or do unlimited Gabriel, therefore.

I think that was the only time I ever used Raphael!

Poor Raphael... I never really paid attention if one of them had a longer range... or I just didn't care, I liked playing with Michaelangelo most of the time...prolly cause I liked him most in the cartoons

Wow, I can't believe I forgot all about Fallout 2. That was an amazing game. I played it over and over. Loved being able to hit a child in the groin with a sledgehammer, and the wedding scene was a classic!

Strangely enough, I never played the full version of Fallout. I did play the demo, though, and I knew that it was going to be an awesome game. One day, I'll get to it.

RE: TMNT. Michaelangelo was another character I didn't really use in the game. In the game, I always started off using Donatello, then Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Raphael. IIRC, Raphael was the quickest swimmer, which was why I used him during the swimming stages.

My favourite games are:

Metal Gear Solid Series
The original SOCOM series on PS2
The Getaway on PS2
Uncharted series on PS3
Grand Theft Auto series

I'm sure there's many more but I can't think of them right now.

I always had a soft spot for the Mario games, mostly for Super Nintendo. I tend to like surreal or cutesy games, so I'm thinking about getting a Wii actually (unless I happen to stumble across an old school SNES, to which I'll probably impulse buy). A few games from Japan sparked my interest, but they would probably be a pain to find. Maybe later if I get more money. When I had them, I did play the games quite a bit, but maybe I'm just a bit picky with my game choices.

I really haven't gotten into video games much, but I feel like if I found the right ones and had my own system here, I'd get really into them. I had an Xbox but ended up selling it because I never played it (and didn't care much for the games besides Call of Duty). I'm not sure what happened to all my older game systems.

I'm pretty out of it when comes to contemporary gaming aside from Plants Vs. Zombies and Telltale's Sam & Max adventure games, but those are pretty fun (even though I find PvZ to be a little too easy to be challenging most of the time).

These are some really old arcade games I play on my computer with MAME every once in a while:

Penguin Wars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Qix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Motos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mappy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do! Run Run - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for console gaming, I guess I would have to say pretty standard things like Super Mario Brothers 3, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid. The SNES game Pilotwings is one lesser-known game that was one of my favorites for a while.

There was also this somewhat obscure NES Adventure/RPG-type game that I liked called Magic of Scheherazade that I still kind of appreciate for the soundtrack (I remember reading that it was composed by a Japanese concert pianist, but I've never been able to find out much more than that about it):

I think this game may have been what got me kind of fascinated with Arabian Nights-type stuff in the first place, possibly even more than the Disney Aladdin movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitman: Blood Money. How did I forget about that game?! The new one looks epic too.

Anyone remember Toy Story on the Playstation One? Probably the most frustrating game that I have played.

Well my first experience with games were most likely at the arcades in South Africa (the place was full of them when I was there). But my first home-gaming experience I remember very vividly, being when my grandma got my brother a Famicom (which for those of you that don't know, is the original Japanese version of the NES). The day we got it, I can only surely remember at least one game being one of those carts that said something like "1000-in-1" games, yet only had around 18 or something. First two games that I remember falling in love with were Mario (the first adventure one), and Contra - I LOVED/love Contra. Also Ice Climber, I still like that game as annoying as it is. Same with most old games I think for me; it's more about the nostalgia of them rather than playing them. I'd rather watch an old game now on Youtube than play through a difficult one nowadays. Just the other day I watched most of a play-through of Metal Gear Solid, that game's like a awesome film. Also for the Playstation I fell in love with Final Fantasy 7, and then went on to love 6, 8, and finally 9 - after I nearly completed FF9, I'm pretty sure that's when I lost interest in games. Woah, anyway, I kind of fast forwarded a bit there...

Back-tracking some, I also loved the Sega Megadrive when my brother finally got one (he spent a long time saving up for one). Sonic 2, Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 - I loved Mortal Kombat games. Anyone remember Comic Zone? That was an awesome game, and it came with a pretty decent music cd as well by a band called Roadkill for the game (which was the name of the main character's rat). Also for the megadrive (or Genesis as you Americans called it), we had Echo the Dolphin, which was a very original and cool game with an interesting atmosphere and story. Those were my favourite games I can think of off the top of my head for the megadrive we had anyway...

Back to the Playstation - the ODDWORLD GAMES! Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exodus are both incredible masterpieces. I still watch playthroughs every few months a bit for the nostalgia. Damn those games were clever (and hard). I already said I loved Final Fantasy games, especially VII (for which I woke up early before school one day to finish, went into school bragging and celebrating to myself that I'd finally finished the game, but nobody except for me cared -_- :eek:P).

For racing games, I loved Ridge Racer and Circuit Breakers (both were great for multiplayer, ESPECIALLY Circuit Breakers, yeah that was and is still a fun game! I'll always keep that gem.)

Well, that's all for now/forever.

I vaguely remember Point Blank, but I must've only played it round someone's house once or something as I don't recall much of it. Dino Crisis I remember and had, but I didn't play it much, I played Resident Evil 1 and 2, then I played a bit of Dino Crisis but got bored or something real quick, my bro played it though. [/pointless read... sorry :eek:P]

I realise in my last post I spelt Comix Zone and Ecco the Dolphin incorrectly. Blasphemy...

And how could I forget the Game Boy!?!??! Me and my bro shared the original big grey Game Boy, and the first game we got for it was Batman: The Animated Series. Brilliant game, I could never get past the Mr. Freeze boss though. Does anyone remember Kunio-kun games? We (my bro & I) had an 18-in-1 pirated cartridge (EVERYTHING was in Japanese except for the names of the game titles on the select screen) which had two Kunio-Kun games on - one was a fighting adventure game which I loved, and the other was a dodgeball one which was rather amusing and ruleless, but it was too hard to control/play I found. Still, the characters faces when getting hit by a ball and stuff were priceless. The multi-cart also had Batman Returns (Batman: TAS game was better IMO), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ninja Gaiden Shadow (but it was the Japanese version so it was titled Ninja Ryūkenden on the select screen) which was a wicked game and has some of the best music for any game IMO. It also had Bubble Bobble (love the theme music for that ^_^). Tetris, some basketball game, and some card game which was impossible for us to play with it all being in Japanese.

OH, and does anyone remember Adventure Island/Wonder Boy games? They were both on the NES/Famicom and Game Boy. Those games were cool, a little wild cave boy who threw hammers at snails and snakes and stuff, and rode dinosaurs with different powers like fire-breathing or you could fly a teradactyl and... stuff...? And the aim was to save your girlfriend (really original plot eh!?), and there were lots of eggs involved... no?

I think I went on a bit too much of a rambley kind of off-original-topic babble sesh there. I apologise.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is more than likely horrible, but I kind of want this game:

Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe_Coverart.png

Anyone played it?

New Threads

Top Bottom