• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

your bad genes

wadorama

V.I.P Member
u good with them? totally not here and screaming at a wall. run what ya brung but dammit how would it have been for this not to be your personal limitation? dammit dammit dammit.

As far as I understand it only some people have autism as the result of gene mutations. A large amount of people have it for other reasons. I am not sure what the case is for me, so in answer to your question, I don't know, I do not know if it is genetic.

If I only look at the deficits, I will feel sad and frustrated.
I must also remember the strengths and positives autism brings me. This is hard to do if I am suffering due to my autism. So, I will sit, breathe, and calm myself to help me feel better first, then a more realistic, balanced viewpoint will be much easier for me.

I’m wishing you peace and positivity with your neurology.

As far as I understand it only some people have autism as the result of gene mutations. A large amount of people have it for other reasons. I am not sure what the case is for me, so in answer to your question, I don't know, I do not know if it is genetic.

thanks Tom. so scrap the gene thing. lots of us are overall smarter than the average bear, but some would give up the smarts for the coping skills. my world is shrinking down to brain chemistry management. this is awful.

I must also remember the strengths and positives autism brings me. This is hard to do if I am suffering due to my autism. So, I will sit, breathe, and calm myself to help me feel better first, then a more realistic, balanced viewpoint will be much easier for me.

Thank you.

just reaching out and maybe to nowhere. I have totally lost the plot. not sure what to say to someone else that has not.

just reaching out and maybe to nowhere. I have totally lost the plot. not sure what to say to someone else that has not.

Its okay to be upset... If its not then we are all in trouble, and I am at the top of the list.
I hope you get your thoughts lined out. I don't have a magic pill or I would send it to you... : )

thanks Tom. so scrap the gene thing. lots of us are overall smarter than the average bear, but some would give up the smarts for the coping skills. my world is shrinking down to brain chemistry management. this is awful.
Given that autism often runs in families, I think there must be a genetic component. Even if it's a predisposition that needs other unknown conditions to occur.
However whatever the reason, it can be very hard to cope with at times. It sounds like you're locked in a depression cycle at the moment, which is something I'm all too familiar with. Hang in there. There WILL be a chink of light soon and you will be able to swim back towards it. I'm not going to tell you to concentrate on the positives. Sometimes they just don't seem to matter. But there will be a time when they will. I hope that time is not far away.

However in all honesty... YOU may be closer to a deep truth than you can even conceive. "Brain Chemistry Management" Is what rules us and every part of our existence. Every thought is a chemical compound converted into an energy...

If we can make ourselves king over the thoughts, we become geniuses and do things others cant imagine... Einstein and Tesla both knew and used this stuff, but most people see it as nothing... To me its basically everything BUT I about go mad trying to grasp all of it.

I have a genetic abnormality on Chrom 6. Since I found that out , I feel a lot better. It is a beautiful gene and I bet it would have made me very SOMEHTING good, but I believe it was chemicals that messed it up. The dr said environmental trigger.

But it makes me feel better knowing it is not all mental.

But I get what you are saying. I hate to say it, but the older I get , it gets less important and I see how much of a gift life is, how much of a gift it always was, and yet I never knew what was the matter with me.

I don't know. We come to terms. YOu will, too. We all have to.
I hope you come back around. I notive we all do this, large swings. That is why I come here. I swing way out and someone here, someone ALWAYS pulls me back in.
OKRAD get it togehter!!!
And they do it so kindly and so intelligently.
I love AspieCentral.

I don't know if my Asperger's is genetic or not, since no one in my immediate family has autism. Right now I'm more worried about cancer genes.

However in all honesty... YOU may be closer to a deep truth than you can even conceive. "Brain Chemistry Management" Is what rules us and every part of our existence. Every thought is a chemical compound converted into an energy...

If we can make ourselves king over the thoughts, we become geniuses and do things others cant imagine... Einstein and Tesla both knew and used this stuff, but most people see it as nothing... To me its basically everything BUT I about go mad trying to grasp all of it.

thanks Chance. it does seem all about chemistry now, but it wasn't always and those other days are what i pine for now.

i like you. and I can smell hate in others like you can. almost like an instinctual herd culling. smells like hot metal to me.

I have a genetic abnormality on Chrom 6. Since I found that out , I feel a lot better. It is a beautiful gene and I bet it would have made me very SOMEHTING good, but I believe it was chemicals that messed it up. The dr said environmental trigger.

But it makes me feel better knowing it is not all mental.

But I get what you are saying. I hate to say it, but the older I get , it gets less important and I see how much of a gift life is, how much of a gift it always was, and yet I never knew what was the matter with me.

I don't know. We come to terms. YOu will, too. We all have to.
I hope you come back around. I notive we all do this, large swings. That is why I come here. I swing way out and someone here, someone ALWAYS pulls me back in.
OKRAD get it togehter!!!
And they do it so kindly and so intelligently.
I love AspieCentral.

good on ya for the knowing. i get the swing thing. observable and prevalent most everywhere in nature, from the tides to the seasons. guess i don't respect the life gift much anymore cuzza all the pain that came with it. most days seem best avoided now. age is making it worse.

Last edited:
My genes are a mixed blessing. Autism is very prevalent in both of my parents' families, although I'm the only one officially diagnosed (which is hilarious as I'm one of the most well-adjusted people in my extended family). But my family is also very gifted, intelligent and talented. Most days, I'm thankful for my genes. Some days, not so much. The anxiety over virtually nothing is what bothers me most.

thanks Chance. it does seem all about chemistry now, but it wasn't always and those other days are what i pine for now.

i like you. and I can smell hate in others like you can. almost like an instinctual herd culling. smells like hot metal to me.

Exactly plus this sick hot feeling I get inside... and I have no idea what to do with it once it shows up.

My Grams probably would have been diagnosed with ASD. She was super intelligent and worked like a man, but she didn't like people much at all, nor did she ever say much. She loved me in her own way but we both got it, and it worked for both of us... My Cousin has it (He is my Grams blood grandson also)...

I never really know what to think about me... I basically was in super bad shape when I was born (as in not expected to make it- neither was my mom). So I figure that might have something to do with some of my weirdness, but who really knows?

My Grams probably would have been diagnosed with ASD. She was super intelligent and worked like a man, but she didn't like people much at all, nor did she ever say much. She loved me in her own way but we both got it, and it worked for both of us... My Cousin has it (He is my Grams blood grandson also)...

I never really know what to think about me... I basically was in super bad shape when I was born (as in not expected to make it- neither was my mom). So I figure that might have something to do with some of my weirdness, but who really knows?

Grams sounds awesome. dug in, pointed her brain at things hard, and solved them. your genes rock.

guess nobody really knows man, but seems like someone should by now. lotsa brain resources handy.

Warmheart, you always have something positive and thoroughly helpful to add to a discussion.

My thoughts on the subject:
When I started searching about Aspergers, I wasn't sure whether my traits were because of the way I was raised or because of genes.
The main reason was this:
I've got a brother. We didn't grow up together. He grew up in a very nice environment and he turned up just fine.
But now my brother has a beautiful and very smart daugther. She is 3 years old and I'm more than sure she's on the spectrum.
So, I've been thinking that maybe the way I was raised was because of the fact that my parents probably had similar genes.
The fact that my brother turned up fine makes me think that the environment we grow up is a major factor.
So, it's not the genes that are good or bad.
It's easy to blame my bad genes for everything but truth is, I've got many good traits NTs haven't and I can for sure say that I'd prefer it if NTs were thinking the way I think in many subjects.
All in all, nobody is perfect. There are just people that can hide pretty well the fact they are not perfect and people that can't or won't.
One thing that helps me very much when I think I'm not good enough, is that when comparing myself to others, I know myself from the inside. I know my every bad thought and bad traits. But the other person I don't really know him/her. I just see what he/she chooses to show me. It's like comparing my worst self with the best of the others. Nobody is better than us.
Many of us will be raising the next generation of Aspies. It's up to us whether they'll turn up fine or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom