• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your anxiety busters...

Fantasia

So I have been especially tormented and anxious this week, which has led to a troubling development-

I've been a non-drinker my whole life, but this last week I discovered that the booze actually makes the bad feelings go away.

This is plainly Not Good, so please share with me some healthier ideas. I like to cuddle my soft toys, chew on things, and take a lot of naps. I sometimes find that a dose of antihistamine helps - when it doesn't just give me a bad tummy.

Healthy habit suggestions, please?

I use something natural called: seditifpc and for me, calms me down, just enough to think clearer.

Other than that, sadly, it is what causes the anxiety that has to go away, before my anxiety goes away.

I like to do a 5 minute stretch at the end of my workday. I found it on YouTube. Along with mindfulness meditation self-hypnosis, eating whole foods, journaling, & other things. Good luck.

Laugh. :D
Find something funny to laugh at.
(Funny internet videos, memes, there are a couple of threads on site,
‘Last thing to make you laugh’

Endorphins are cheaper than booze, environmentally friendly and readily available,
Find something to do that gives you that hormone hit :)

Is all I can think of for now :)

I need meds to bring anxiety down to a level where I can even employ coping skills. I love my weighted blanket, which is the heaviest recommended weight for my size, I have a fidget bracelet or scarf for when I am in public and I spend as much time alone as I can. Much of my anxiety is general and simply about al that it takes to be a functioning adult which means I wake up with it. The medication that works for me is fluoxetine which is often sold under brand name Prozac. Fresh air, walking, the seaside, sunshine and the sounds of birds are often helpful too. So is cuddling a cat.

Booze works, but only in the short term. There's been some good suggestions here so far, but the one that works best for me is immersing myself into a project or task

Alcohol is VERY bad anxiety buster.

For me the best ways to get rid of anxiety are:
1. Chill and netflix (in that order)
2. Gym (lifting heavy weights)
3. Walking outdoors
4. Reading
5. Writing
6. Sleeping

Besides of alcohol I would like to recommend not to use social media, caffeine, and read news.

Doing stuff with my dog, walking, grooming or taking a nap together. Sometimes she snores softly and it’s so cute and relaxing.
Deep breathing and meditation helps too.

So I have been especially tormented and anxious this week, which has led to a troubling development-

I've been a non-drinker my whole life, but this last week I discovered that the booze actually makes the bad feelings go away.

This is plainly Not Good, so please share with me some healthier ideas. I like to cuddle my soft toys, chew on things, and take a lot of naps. I sometimes find that a dose of antihistamine helps - when it doesn't just give me a bad tummy.

Healthy habit suggestions, please?
Mantra : "It's not real, It's just anxiety I'm feeling. I won't let it steal my serenity". Then distact myself however possible.
Daily magnesium and vit b supplements is easy enough to manage.
Ive also been pleasantly surprised recently by the outstandingly positive effects of drinking a super yummy/natural/healthy/positive vibe tea called "stress less" from Happy herb. Each ingredient in it has multiple benefits. I feel for ya...Hope this helps

I don't drink alcohol and refuse to because that is a slippery path to start on so I don't want to ever start the habit.
When I'm anxious at work I do stuff like:

- Cry quietly to myself. I keep tissues on my desk so I don't get my tears on my desk or work.
- Listen to music that helps my brain "feel better" (the song that does the job can vary each time so I try different songs I'm aware that work before trying others) and play it on loop until I feel a bit better. I have to use this option often especially if my co-workers are being noisy and adding to my anxiety. Things that are happy and upbeat I find work best, or songs that are related to happier memories (I love dance machines for example so something like Afronova or Max 300 from Dance Dance Revolution can do me wonders).
- Hold my head to cover my eyes for a brief period, or scratch my head gently. If you have the option to lay down with your eyes covered in a quiet room, I highly recommend this. Sometimes adding a quiet meditation tune in the background can also be good.
- Massage my hands or my own shoulders. Stretching in general, and rolling my shoulders, too.
- Drink a drink - usually water or a hot drink (usually nettle and peppermint).

I think I should try chewing at some point. What sort things do you chew though?

If you don’t mind Liquorice,
Liquorice Root can be bought from health shops.

Resembles a twig and can take a while to chew through.

CBD oil. Marijuana if its legal where you live with higher CBD to THC ratio, a hug from someone if nobody to hug, then hug yourself, perhaps pet a kitty cat and listen to soothing music.

I use

Deep breathing exercises
Drinking water
Relaxation exercises
Does not work for me, panic alot sometimes cannot calm down on my own, lose sleep, keep thinking and worrying.Heart beating rapidly to hope tommorow is ok.

For me, alone time is very important. Keeping busy and making progress every day, even if it's a little bit, also helps. Spending time with my dog is crucial, he's always at my side and sleeps with me. Seeing and appreciating there is hope for the future, even small ones.
Back when it was possible, I would smoke a joint keeping the same philosophies in mind. I know that was probably not an answer you wanted to hear. I do firmly believe that it's less harmful than alcohol though.
Do whatever you can to make yourself feel better, but anything can become a crutch, and sometimes we don't even need a crutch, we just trick ourselves into thinking we do. Finding some kind of happiness within yourself is key. As corny as it sounds.

New Threads

Top Bottom