• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Young Child - Behavioral Challenges

Rusty Ferrell

Hello:

I have a son who will be 5 years old in two months. He has issues with social and emotional developmental delay according to the special education board. As such he has often misinterpreted social cues from his friends and adults often resulting in a perceived threat and subsequent hitting, pushing, kicking, etc. He was recently expelled from preschool because we just can’t seem to keep his behavior in check. Some days he is good but he can snap and act aggressively in a second. His psychiatrist diagnosed him with ADHD and noted that although he can’t be formally diagnosed until age 6, “he exhibits many of the symptoms of high functioning autism.”

He often cries and screams for what seems to be meaningless matters even for a kid his age. He has a sense of defiance as well and can be difficult to convince him to go along with things. To further complicate matters he has celiac disease and has some digestive issues. We put him in a new private school thinking it may be the environment of the old school he was expelled from. He is exhibiting most of the same behaviors although, his responses are sometimes better since we started Aderall. Recently, the special education committee found him eligible for services because of a “significant social and emotional developmental delay.” Of course the private school does not offer full time classroom based special education where he is placed with two teachers and 6 other kids like the local public school. His current classroom has 20 kids which is a lot of socializing and dealing with a lot of personalities. He continues to not adapt well there.

It’s really hard for us. We are trying to decide whether to do the program where he is at his current school a half of day and goes to the special ed classroom at the other school the other half. My gut tells me just to move him where there are full services all day given his challenges. Although, it will be his third school in 6 months, we now know about the formal recognition of social and emotional developmental delays and the psychiatrist diagnosis as well.

I’d like somebody’s thoughts on this who has a child with autism.

Sincerely,

Rusty

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

There's a few people here who have kids; the most prominent whose child is close to your own in age is @Major Tom's little guy

I left a note for him, the link to this thread awhile ago.
He mostly frequents General Chat, rather than posting in threads.

New Threads

Top Bottom