• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

you guys like anime?

I'm not a huge anime follower but I used to watch Dragon Ball Z and GT when I was younger (I sometimes watch the new movies like damn, I forgot the title, this one with the huuge sayayin guy...Broly), also Yu-Gi-Oh, I still have some cards in my closet.

I have some friends who really are into anime but I can't remember what are they watching.

I watch everything. Probably 2-3hrs a night after work. I starting watching 20yrs ago. I watch Japanese with English subtitles because that's how I started. I tried to draw it but kind of too much work. I just finished Mob Psycho. I just watched Tanya the Evil and a bunch of videos on her character development. There is just so much there.

I watch Goku power up videos on youtube. Supposedly Super Saiyen 2 is the best. I watched Broly. I think someone should blast Frieza back to heaven. That guy is such a jerk.

There's a couple animes I started watching lately, like Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and Laid-Back Camp. I've wanted to watch Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure, but my friend says it's long so I don't know if I could pay attention to it.

Adult Swim (or Cartoon Network?) had an anime block when I was younger, so I watched Naruto and One Piece a lot. When I got a bit older I watched some more animes, like Lucky Star and K-On, though I don't remember most of the other ones.

Spirited Away also sticks out as something I liked a lot as a kid and I think it's why I started liking anime in the first place.

Spirited Away is pretty neat. My daughter picked up on it. So she watched a lot of well known ones. I watched with her as our together thing to do.

Im not a huge fan usually, but Im prone to the mecha genre. I can mention Evangelion and Eureka Seven. However, I recently saw a couple of chapters of "Rent a Girlfriend" cause the plot sounded original and unique.

I used to watch alot of anime, but that was back in the 90s.... I think that's when it was.

These days, most animes have devolved into one of two "genres". Allow me to give a sarcastic description of them:

1. EXPLOSIONS okay here's another fight scene EXPLOSIONS okay this character just got a NEW TECHNIQUE because PLOT to beat this enemy, totally didnt see that convenient event coming despite that it happens in every fight EXPLOSIONS

2. BOOBS lol her clothes fell off again, wow these girls are so cute watch them do stuff BOOBS oops there go her clothes again

Sometimes they combine together! Even more fun. Bleh.

So it's very, very, very rare I find something nowadays that actually seems like it's worth a watch.

Just the older ones then for me.

The term for salaicious scenes is fan service. When I took my film course, he professor said "put it in there", as in, don't hesitate or think about it. The first thing I noticed when I played the AAA game Skyrim, there was no fan service. What the heck? Why? Because it ruins this story. So contrarian to his comment. Really fascinating. See the popular fight scene in high school of the dead, where he shoots a zombie and the bullet goes between a characters boobs. The fan service is so ridiculous, it is meant as a kind of satire. It can ruin a anime is overused, and appears the studio had no confidence they actually had a decent movie to begin with.

Movies, games and anime are fantasy. However, the story has the reality of life hidden in metaphor. One of pet peeves is the idea that people will accept this fantasy as reality. Only if an adult is predisposed by something else can this happen. When my son was young and even now, he can't differentiate between the two. Whether you like it or not, I see it and have to deal with it. He has to be protected and at the same time taught. Blaming movies, games or anime for societies problems is a red herring. The purpose is often to distract from the actual cause.

If I tell people what the story is actually about. How the characters battles are a metaphor and a reflection of their battles. I think most people would find this frightening and too real. Yet it is the stuff of life. The things of the most value.

Movies, games and anime, like all entertainment, are an escape. I often try to help people who overuse this to escape unpleasant situations and feelings. I can fall into this trap myself.

I have been watching anime since the early '90s. I miss those days of OVAs which were loaded with gratuitous nudity and graphic violence.

Mononoke Hime
Kimi no na wa
Tokyo Godfathers
Sen to Chihiro Kami Kurashiki
Ponyo

Miyazaki-san no eiga dai suki desu! :smilecat:

I'm a little bit of an otaku myself, but I've been focusing on Doctor Who lately and haven't had time for anime in a while. But I liked Full Metal Alchemist, Kill La Kill, Brand New Animal, Little Witch Academia, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Ruroni Kenshin, K-On!, Azumanga Daioh, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and a lot more. And my avatar is from Kino's Journey, which is one of my favorites.

Basically, I like adventure stuff and comedies.

I looked up Otaku. Then I looked up Neet because the water goddeess calls the lead that in Konosbu (Anime I am watching). I watched anime with subtitles for years and I still can't speak Japanese. One time I told my son "moto" means faster, and I looked to my left and I saw a Japanese women smiling at us. Pretty coincidental.

Otaku (Japanese: おたく or オタク) is a Japanese term for people with consuming interests, particularly in anime and manga.

NEET is an acronym that stands for "Not in Education, Employment, or Training". It refers to a person who is unemployed, not receiving an education or in vocational training.

I used to, but I outgrew it sometime in my
mid-20s and I didn't even realize it. I think it was partly because the artsyle became so generic you couldn't tell one artist from the other.

Looking back, I also find a lot of the jokes problematic as they normalized sexual assault and rape culture. Although I still have nostalgic feelings about some of series I grew up with, I can't in good conscience actively recommend most of them.

Konosuba - Kazuma Satō, a Japanese teenager shut-in NEET, meets a goddess named Aqua

I remember my first anime was a comedy about grade school. It was Japanese culture I didn't understand and I couldn't tell the characters apart. It was a different kind of comedy and wayyyyy too much cuteness. Almost an obsession with it. I saw an anime about longing but the kicker was the short after it. A cat who loves his owner as she goes through a heartbreak. I began to realize there is Hollywood level storytelling and production. My friends dismiss it as cartoons though. I began to ask questions. Bloody wounds are okay in Japan, but not in the US. Naruto has the blood edited out and the English dub turns it from real themes of duty, struggle and friendship, into a kind of Ninja Turtle thing. The "ideal" model in America is voluptuous, but in Japan it is well, kind of like a little girl. Cringy. The pervert character keeps showing up, like Master Roshi in DBZ. Growing up with Astro Boy makes robots in Japan seem like a companion and a friend. Terminator in America makes robots seem like a tool of war. (in general, not universally). This makes me reflect on this stuff. Do people take the fantasy of movies, video games and anime and believe this is what reality is? Like is rape normalized like Selena said? But almost all war movies are an absolute fantasy. You don't get a 5 minute speech before you die in real life. You need that for drama. When I watched Respirio, a documentary on real war, I can see certain things that no war movie shows. I thought Hurt Locker was somewhat accurate before. I was totally mistaken. It is a parade of stereotypes. I have always wanted to know the truth, or least get closer to it. I know now storytelling is the core of life, the mythology of who we are. That Luke Skywalker is called, refuses the call, loses his parents and relents. He has a mentor. He discovers he is fighting his father who has lost his way. He cuts off his father hand just like his father cut off his. His father choses him. He has a moment with him, the connection he longed for. It is buried in light sabers (excuse for sword fights) and special effects.

I have been a Dragonball/Z/GT/Super fan for several years now. My favorite character in there I think is obvious being Vegeta. Why you ask? Because of his persistence. Every time he is knocked down, he gets back up and keeps going. He's one that has improved himself over time and became better. He is in my opinion better than Goku aka Kakarot. I have the entire uncut DBZ/GT/and Super series too as well as some figurines too. Anyway, let me know if you're a Vegeta fan too! Maybe we can talk some time!!

CDMcVey - my favorite thing is Vegeta's don't mess with Bulma mode. I thought Goku's goodness and naivete, is his strength and his weakness, and Vegeta is his arrogance and competitiveness with Goku. The show would suck without either one. The weird way the bad guy turns into the good guy in DBZ, Piccolo, Majen Buu, . Gotta admit, Vegeta was a bad guy, even other Saiyan who knew him back then thought so. The scene of him casually eating some guys arm, or taking a whole planet just for kicks. Good thing Freiza is wayyyyy worse, and never ever turns into a good guy, no matter what. The best scene is the banquet after defeating Majen Buu. Vegeta won't come to the table, but stands there smiling. You knew then what a good guy he was.

Hey, was there ever an episode where Vegeta leveled up before Goku?

Do you ever go on youtube and watch a sequence of Goku's or Vegeta's power ups? Kid of the best part of the show.

Last edited:
I used to, but I outgrew it sometime in my
mid-20s and I didn't even realize it. I think it was partly because the artsyle became so generic you couldn't tell one artist from the other.

There's a lot of variation in artstyle once you get out of the mainstream series, and check out more experimental directors trying out new stuff.
There are some fine Anthology films made up of shorts like Anikuri (1 min shorts) and Genius Party (15 min shorts) in which some of the most talented directors are given complete creative freedom, leading to some interesting pieces of animation. Genius Party happens to be on youtube.

New Threads

Top Bottom