• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You Ever Say Really Offensive Things Online?

I generally try to save that for face to face encounters. That way you get to see all the delightful facial expressions that comes with the experience. It's something you don't get to experience online.;)

No, there is no need to add to the negativity of the world, it's hard enough as it is for everyone. The anonymity of online interactions makes people say awful things and you never know who you may just push over the edge somewhere.

I do, but never on purpose. Once I got banned from a forum because I said some Christians were probably having a rough time with the negative image of Christianity that's so prolific. I guess I empathised with the wrong group?

Never. I am a believer that whether online or off, one should always be dignified.

By the way, I read that you said you are obssessed with little ones and that does put a huge: ? Are you a peodophile?

Never. I am a believer that whether online or off, one should always be dignified.

By the way, I read that you said you are obssessed with little ones and that does put a huge: ? Are you a peodophile?
Where did you read that?

Probably.
Not with intention to be mean or nasty.

It will have been my own point of view or a genuine curiosity.

I'll never know exactly what NOT to say until I pick up and remember that kind of knowledge.

Live and learn eh?

In my opinion, no. But in some other's opinion - maybe? I'll have a hard time seeing what the offense was, though.

Not intentionally. I have some strong opinions on controversial subjects, or unpopular non-mainstream opinions. I know that they are likely to cause offence to some people, so I generally keep these to myself. Online I have time to think about and word my opinions carefully, offline it's a different story and I have caused offence in the past. I have offended people because I have given an opinion or fact that they took to be a personal insult or attack on them. People often don't seem to be able to distinguish between opinion or fact, and personal insult.

In person, yes. Online, no.

In person, when I have to think and respond quickly, I am a master of the oral pedicure (sticking my foot in my mouth). When I have time to analyze the situation later, I realize that I somehow found the most optimally wrong thing to say.

Online, where I have time to think before I post something, I do much better. I re-read things several times before I post them. I often run them by my wife, too, to make sure there's nothing inappropriate in what I'm about to post.

Where did you read that?

I read that you said: girls you do not get on with and because you are obsessed with little ones.

Anyway, I am really sorry if I have got you wrong regarding children and liking them.

I have done so A LOT in the past.

Why? What do you get from it?

I do, but never on purpose. Once I got banned from a forum because I said some Christians were probably having a rough time with the negative image of Christianity that's so prolific. I guess I empathised with the wrong group?

I wonder why your opinion was deemed as being ban worthy? Surely we can't all think the same, have the same beliefs!

Are you a peodophile?

I cannot stop laughing at the contradiction. So funny :D

Probably.
Not with intention to be mean or nasty.

It will have been my own point of view or a genuine curiosity.

Ditto.

People often don't seem to be able to distinguish between opinion or fact, and personal insult.

So true!

I sometimes view it as words hainv a looser attachment to reality for me than most people.
If Imcontrsut an image of something thatnImfind amusing that can be offensive.
I may not realise it,as I forget to place a moral,cultural,social construct on it.
Just like the contrast between two ideas or images.
So I can forget to think of other people's viewpoints.

Like the time I went to Dachau and met someone who knew all about autism.
Didn't think applied to me till 20 years later.

I then imagined a scenario about being annoyed - not at thenhorros of the war- but that Hans asperger never worked st Dachau and that would have made the story more fitting.

I like those difficult contrasts where -if viewed as my personal opinion - I can come off really badly.
But I write it that way sometimes as it makes me the fall guy,so works better.
It can also have more complex ideas inside.
At the same time -it can be completely daft and stupid.

On top of that I'm not always clear :)

Dachau thing is true, just not the hans asperger bit.

No. I do enough trolling off the screen as it is. :)

Though my intent is usually not to offend, some people will find any reason they can to be offended anyways so there's little that can be done there.

Online we have a chance to consider more carefully what we say, so it's pretty rare for it to happen then, but in person words out come out faster than I can keep up with and it happens quite often, although not as often as it used to. :cool:

Last edited:
I thought it was a joke and you were trying to show him what it's like to have offensive things directed at him, "show him what it's like" or something. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom