• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

‘You can’t discipline autism out of a child’: Mom and student protest suspension

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

‘Last resort’ move came after special-needs student struck educational assistant, teacher

B823666639Z.1_20171127203200_000_G1T20I64U.1_Super_Portrait.jpg

Ivan Hooper, 12, held a protest with his mom, Julie Johnson at Corktown Park over his suspension from Queen Victoria School. He has autism and hit an EA after an outburst last Wednesday. - Gary Yokoyama,The Hamilton Spectator

Ivan Hooper has a bird's-eye view of kids playing in the yard of his Hamilton elementary school.

He's in his mom's highrise condo, but not in Queen Victoria Elementary.

The 12-year-old is serving a five-day suspension for slapping an educational assistant in the face and punching a teacher in the shoulder last week.

Ivan isn't your average student. He has autism, obsessive compulsive disorder and Tourette's syndrome.

That's why his mom argues Ivan's five-day suspension is unfair. "You can't discipline autism out of a child," Julie Johnson said Monday.

Public board education director Manny Figueiredo said suspending special-needs students isn't the preferred option.

"We always have to consider mitigating circumstances for students with special needs. So suspension is a last resort."

But the safety of staff and students is also important, he said.

The goal of the suspension isn't to mete out discipline, said board chair Todd White.

Rather, it's meant to provide time to come up with a better work plan for the student, he said.

"We care a lot about Ivan in this case," White said. "We're doing whatever we can to address the situation."

Ivan says the trouble started in his homeroom Wednesday morning when he dropped his lunch on the floor.

That made a loud noise, which made students stare at him, he wrote in a letter to his school.

"My anxiety made me run, and I went to the office."

Ivan, who works in a separate room with EAs, says he was then provoked and lashed out in response.

Johnson argues his two EAs aren't versed in proper de-escalation techniques.

"There are obvious triggers for why it happened."

White said staff "did act appropriately," but declined to go into specifics due to privacy concerns.

Ivan and his mom led a rally near the school Monday to protest his suspension and show support for other special-needs kids.

He is among the 25 per cent of the public board's roughly 49,000 students receiving special education services. The board has dedicated $77.9 million to special education out of its overall annual budget of $540.7-million.

The demands for special-needs education have increased in recent years with more families moving to Hamilton to access its excellent medical services, Figueiredo said.

Reports of physical aggression against educational assistants in Hamilton public elementary and secondary schools have also spiked.

In the 2015-16 school year, there were 1,621 reports involving such outbursts as pushing, pulling, head-butting, scratching and kicking. In 2016-17, there were 2,239 reports, according to union figures.

Schools are understaffed and educational assistants have too much on their plate, says John Morris, president of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union Local 527.

"It comes down to providing adequate funding to hire enough staff so all children receive the education that they are entitled to, and to reduce the amount of risk in the workplace."

The Ministry of Education says it has boosted special education funding to $2.86 billion, a 76 per cent increase since 2003. It has also increased the number of EAs by more than 6,300.

The Hamilton public board employs 657 EAs, with 13 allocated to Queen Victoria.

Johnson has struggled to find the right situation for her son. But last year, she says he worked well with a supply teacher at Queen Victoria.

Things have deteriorated this year with the EAs, Johnson said, noting Ivan's time at school has been cut to 100 minutes a day.

Figueiredo said the Education Act allows boards to shorten instruction time for students identified as "exceptional" if they're struggling.

Source: ‘You can’t discipline autism out of a child’: Mom and student protest suspension | TheSpec.com

We've been there. My youngest daughter periodically bit teachers and, maybe, other students. I care about their safety, too, but there are no easy answers.

We had some tactics that worked at home, very light corporal punishment. School policy didn't allow that, though her bus driver wasn't afraid to go there (with our blessing).

I hate to be blunt, but he got off lightly IMO, an NT kid would've got expelled for assaulting a teacher, I nearly got the boot more than once for a LOT less.

I hate to be blunt, but he got off lightly IMO, an NT kid would've got expelled for assaulting a teacher, I nearly got the boot more than once for a LOT less.

I agree.
At the end of the day, a school has rules and - whether we agree with them or not - they're there for us to follow. While I've never physically attacked a teacher (although the thought crossed my mind more than a few times regarding them either been incompetent over dealing with my bullies or were just nasty pieces of work in general), I did lose my temper with some staff members one time and openly swore at them.
I regretted it as soon as I did it but I still got punished for it with a lunchtime detention.

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I do think schools need to have standards of safety. Being attacked by a student, NT or not, is physically and emotionally distressing. Teachers should not have to go through that. Some kids just aren't made out for public schools, and I think this is one of these cases.

"You can't discipline autism out of a child"... true but that doesn't mean that autistic children should get away with anything without punishment. Too often autism is used as an excuse to get away with behaviour which would be considered criminal in anyone else. The safety of staff and other students is just as important as the childs needs. I think he got off too lightly, he needs clear boundaries the same as any other child and the mother should be working with the school to enforce them instead of undermining their efforts. As SunnyDay said, some children just aren't suited for public schools, and this looks like such a case.

Okay, this kid is in the wrong and his mom is one of those mothers. He hit a teacher! Even with my Aspergers, I never raised a fist to my teachers. Sure, I may have punched two girls in second grade. And yes, I threaten domestic abuse on my family members. But I'm working on it!

He did get off light. I remember suspensions. It was like Christmas break every time, I mean, a week without school? Lol, I remember the serious-faced teachers telling me I'm suspended as if they were delivering to me the news that I was sentenced to death, then me cheering in their faces I was so happy.

So, punishment? Hardly. No, you can't punish autism out of someone, but boundaries need to be established. Suspension does not do that, especially if his mother is against it. My point is, time off school is a reward, not a punishment, and it's probably sending some mixed messages here.

Yeah, I kinda agree here with you guys. Autism is not a free pass. When alot of us were in school we were invisible and never said a thing and never made any contact, so abuse is not a sign of autism. Now, I had meltdowns fro mthe very pit of Satanic hell many times at home, that is true. Different dynamics at home where you can't really escape into your own world. Those were very hard to deal with, but I did pay for them. I was not let off at home, eventhough forgiven. And it always meant another trip to a psych dr who would demean me and tell me I was a stupid little brat, killing my parents.

What would have helped? I think those mobile units are actually very good. The kid acts up, the parents or teachers do not feel alone or angry, the trained unit comes, diffuses the situation, the kid does not feel like a Satanic monster, and you can move on........

At any rate, I agree, autism does NOT equal violent and free pass.

Wrong, absolutely wrong. You can discipline autism or, to be specific, autistic children, you just can't get rid of it. If the mother here continues on the path she's going, I say best of luck to her because her son's going to need all of it he can get once he enters adulthood.

Nobody needs to be getting a free pass for bad behavior, and I mean nobody, "special needs" or not. I sure didn't get one, got the same treatment as anyone else and faced the consequences that followed. I don't know what part of this is so difficult for parents to understand concerning their little ones on the spectrum...not that it's going to be easy, but there still needs to be discipline one way or another.

...Wait a minute. You guys agreed with me?! I...I was trying to be a jerk.

Pretty sure the term for this is Springtime For Hitler.

...Wait a minute. You guys agreed with me?! I...I was trying to be a jerk.

Pretty sure the term for this is Springtime For Hitler.

Scroll back up and you'll see a lot of us have similar opinions on this. Also...

Okay, this kid is in the wrong and his mom is one of those mothers. He hit a teacher! Even with my Aspergers, I never raised a fist to my teachers. Sure, I may have punched two girls in second grade. And yes, I threaten domestic abuse on my family members. But I'm working on it!

...enough said :)

Glad to know you guys don't hate me.

But in all honesty, I'm not on this kid's side. As hypocritical as it is.

After the aforementioned punching incident, I was raised to never actually hurt someone. I'll slip up every other day. And I'll always use empty threats. But I am slowly working towards self-improvement.

If I did something like this, not only would my mom straight-up murder me, I'd be utterly racked with guilt.

Weird that this subject may come up in the next episode of "The Good Doctor". Where in last night's preview it appears that Dr. Shaun Murphy loses it in public and physically lashes out at his mentor and close personal friend, who just happens to be the president of the hospital.

If so, as a tv series it's a foregone conclusion that he keeps his job. I'm just wondering how it will all pan out. Though in reality a child is much more likely to incur less legal consequences involving a loss of self control compared to most any adult.

Of course with this fictional drama, IMO we won't be observing any sense of reality, but perhaps a Hollywood editorial of why people on the spectrum should be cut a little slack now and then.

Food for thought, whatever your feelings are on such issues.

Last edited:
I believe the term that you are looking for is "being facetious."

Yep. Being facetious - no harm, no foul...assuming people understand her intent. ;)

Whereas I see "Springtime for Hitler" as more of a humorous metaphor for criminal fraud. :eek:

Whereas I see "Springtime for Hitler" as a metaphor for criminal fraud. :eek:
The Producers is about criminal fraud.
The reason why Springtime for Hitler (the show within the show) became so unexpectedly popular was because it was taken as satire [being facetious]. :confused:
Max Bialystock said:
How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?

The Producers is about criminal fraud.
The reason why Springtime for Hitler (the show within the show) became so unexpectedly popular was because it was taken as satire. :confused:

Granted... even criminal fraud can be terribly funny at times. Downright entertaining even. Though personally I wouldn't want to inadvertently imply it was ever my personal intent, even in jest. ;)

Just as I wouldn't want to impress upon anyone my right of free speech by implying or depicting someone in the public domain whose mother who was having sex with animals. :eek:

Claiming mere facetiousness seems so convenient in comparison. :cool:

Last edited:
Just as I wouldn't want to impress upon anyone my right of free speech by implying or depicting someone in the public domain whose mother who was having sex with animals. :eek:
Is that a reference to some current event, or just a non-sequitur?

New Threads

Top Bottom