• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wrong Diagnosis - Bipolar vs Aspergers

lbeest87

Hello All,

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am seeking help in figuring out how to get help in finding a proper diagnosis. I have been battling with my mental health for years now and I have been diagnosed with several different disorders over the last 6 years. The first was depression and more recently I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I went to see my psych. last week and she changed my meds from Zyprexa (which is an anti-psychotic) to Depakote (an anti-seizure med). All of these meds have worked for the impulsiveness, insomnia, and some of the emotional rollercoasters I tend to get on but they do not help with the social side of things. I'm still struggling with friendships, I'm still struggling at work, I'm still struggling with taking everything literally, I'm still struggling with understanding social hierarchies as it doesn't make sense to me and I struggle with so many other things. I can never tell when I've pissed someone off in conversation until they either change the subject and cut me off and get mad. I've become a total recluse because I just don't get it anymore.

When my son was diagnosed with Aspergers last year I really started researching and found that a lot of the symptoms and/or stories I read matched who I am. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a reputable Doctor who can diagnose Aspergers in adults!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am not sure how your son got diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year because as of 2013, AS was not being diagnosed anymore. The criteria that is used was changed from the DSM-4 to the DSM-5, in the US. The new diagnosis would be Autism Spectrum Disorder in one of three levels.

Does your doctor have experience with ASD? If not, maybe he could recommend someone. If that does not work, then it is research time. Try to find a doctor with experience in ASD. You may have to get a referral from your GP.

Be for warned. It is harder to get diagnosed with the DSM-5. The change was made more for financial reasons than for medical reasons.

It is possible to have both. The older sister of one of my high school friends was diagnosed with bipolar while at university about 10 years ago, and with Asperger's last year. The AS diagnosis came later, as apparently the bipolar sort of masked the AS if you see what I mean. She had a lot of 'symptoms' which could be attributed to either, and the bipolar was originally the more pressing concern.

For a formal diagnosis in adults, if you live in USA:
Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a neuropsychologist <------ Important. Who will do testing for ASD. Big city hospitals very often have a neuropsychologist in their neurology department. The wait Could be long, about three months in my case. The testing takes several hours. Another appointment, scheduled about two weeks out, would then be for meeting again with the neuropsychologist to discuss results. Best success!

do you need a diagnosis as IVE heard they are expensive
in the UK you can pay but DONT have to

but thats not a guarantee you'll ever be diagnosed i waited 7 months people usually wait about two years
one man wasnt diagnosed until he was 83 another man waited 24 years in some counties there is noone who diagnoses in London in some areas there is no diagnosis available even though the borough has the highest concentration of hospitals
Hello All,

I just joined this forum yesterday and I am seeking help in figuring out how to get help in finding a proper diagnosis. I have been battling with my mental health for years now and I have been diagnosed with several different disorders over the last 6 years. The first was depression and more recently I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I went to see my psych. last week and she changed my meds from Zyprexa (which is an anti-psychotic) to Depakote (an anti-seizure med). All of these meds have worked for the impulsiveness, insomnia, and some of the emotional rollercoasters I tend to get on but they do not help with the social side of things. I'm still struggling with friendships, I'm still struggling at work, I'm still struggling with taking everything literally, I'm still struggling with understanding social hierarchies as it doesn't make sense to me and I struggle with so many other things. I can never tell when I've pissed someone off in conversation until they either change the subject and cut me off and get mad. I've become a total recluse because I just don't get it anymore.

When my son was diagnosed with Aspergers last year I really started researching and found that a lot of the symptoms and/or stories I read matched who I am. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a reputable Doctor who can diagnose Aspergers in adults!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
do you need a

It is possible to have both. The older sister of one of my high school friends was diagnosed with bipolar while at university about 10 years ago, and with Asperger's last year. The AS diagnosis came later, as apparently the bipolar sort of masked the AS if you see what I mean. She had a lot of 'symptoms' which could be attributed to either, and the bipolar was originally the more pressing concern.
yep,i have autism [classic] and bipolar,the bp has affected me from around 10 yrs old but only got diagnosed a few months ago.

The DSM in my opinion is a fictional piece of work put together by some powerful medical professions who class together 'symptoms' to explain human condition which falls out of their range of normal. My son is diagnosed with PDDNOS but I believe he could have had his ways of being regrouped to be called bipolar. The 'boxes' have never made sense to me. I believe it's a spiritual journey that one must put together for ones self, best done in the company of others with similar lived experience.

I was initially diagnosed with Bipolar II Disorder 10 years before I got diagnosed with Aspergers. Although the Bipolar diagnosis was thrown out after a whopping two weeks (like seriously, maybe consider things for a bit before slapping on a label and pulling it off almost directly afterwards...), I got diagnosed with (in chronological order) recurrent depression, ADD, avoidant personality disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and finally someone saw the light and had the bright idea to evaluate me for autism. Now I have a conclusive diagnosis that explains the whole shebang. It took 15 years from my first clinical depression to my diagnosis, but I finally got there, and I finally have some modicum of peace and understanding of what makes me tick.

New Threads

Top Bottom