• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing Japanese stories, and I'm "addicted"...

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
So it's no secret that I have spent a good part of about three years now learning the japanese language. I know it should have only taken a few months but when you're off and on homeless in that time and your stuff is in and out of storage including your japanese language book, you only have memory to work from.

But I have it back now, and somehow without the aid of my magic daily medication or coffee (while I do need it, I'm trying not to let it become a crutch), I have by some miracle memorized how to tell time and ask for a pencil on the other side of the room, among other things.

A side effect of my obses-- I mean interest in Japanese language and Japan as a whole, is the folklore. And it is awesome! I used to have a collection of japanese folk stories from the library and I read the crap out of it even ones memorized! I remember my favorites being the Tongue Cut Sparrow and Momotarou the Peach Boy, and to this day I am reading stuff about different yokai.

Sometimes when I'm not taking notes on new kanji I'm learning, I'll write a short story using what I learned so far. Somehow Sophia (little sister) and Maddog are able to know what it's talking about even without knowing what it says...

A few of my "classics" I wrote back then include "The Rice Maker's Burden", "A Short Walk To The Far Away Town"... There were others but they got lost in the notebooks I wrote them in.

I love it. It's relaxing and takes my mind off the day, though sometimes I can feel my brain gears stalling trying to figure out certain translations.

I am also another fan of Japanese culture and language! I admire your dedication to learn Japanese, i started learning last year before my trip to Japan. I also used to take courses when i was about 17 but quit when i started college.

Right now I am using apps to learn kanji mainly, i memorized hiragana. I really enjoy it. I can spend hours playing on my phone! The different shapes of kanji and how multiple kanji come together to create a word fascinate me.

Also i really love Japanese mythology, traditions and ceremonies as well! Legends, myths, traditional arts like Noh theatre is also very interesting to me.

If you have an interest in Japanese history, (mostly Heian period) i recommend the Pillowbook by Sei Shonagon also! It's really informative and fun!

New Threads

Top Bottom