• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you take a magic pill to permanently transform into an NT?

Would you take a pill to permanently transform into an NT?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 69.1%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters

pjcnet

V.I.P Member
This question obviously only applies to members who are on the autistic spectrum.

Many people on the autistic spectrum like myself must wonder what it would be like to be NT, how would it actually feel? Well what if a full so called "cure" suddenly became available? In fact it could almost be like a Matrix scenario. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed as you are now. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and you wake up a true NT. Okay, it might not be this simple, but perhaps one day in the future autistic people will have the option to receive a treatment that makes them a true NT in every respect, a few experts claim to be close to achieving this now, although I'm very sceptical and it may not be a full transformation.

Remember that even though being NT might have it's advantages, you could also lose some of your intelligence. You might not be as good at or as interested in a particular special interest any more, but what if this is an important part of your job? Perhaps you would feel like taking up a number of interests instead without taking any of them to obsess. Maybe if you're currently out of a job being an NT could make obtaining work easier, but while still unemployed you could find your welfare benefits cut. You would most probably become much better in social situations, your confidence would increase and if you were single it may even greatly increase your chances of finding a partner. What's more if you suffered from anxiety before this could be greatly relieved as well as any sensory issues and if the fear of change used to upset you it probably wouldn't have close to as much impact now. In fact you might be really happy not to have to cope with many autistic traits any more, but how would your dramatic change affect other people around you? How would your family feel? Perhaps you already have a partner who loves you exactly the way you are? Even if you truly believed that becoming an NT would be greatly beneficial to your life, would you take the chance? Perhaps you'd still prefer to stay the way you are?

PS: I only found a similar thread way back in 2015 without a poll here and obviously since then a lot of members have changed, I apologise if this has also been asked more recently.

I have to say that I'm not surprised by the answers so far, so if most aspies/auties don't wish to become NT, why are there NTs that are obsessed with finding a "cure" that barely anyone would want? Of course they could use it on very young children before they're at an age to understand, then there comes another question, if you had a very young son or daughter that was diagnosed as being higher functioning autistic, would you give the treatment to them? I suspect many NT parents would.

Remember that even though being NT might have it's advantages, you could also lose some of your intelligence.

But that is one of the things people like about me!

In all seriousness, I am fortunate in that my sensory issues are manageable and I can do social well. I can understand someone dealing with worse wanting relief.

On the other hand (oh I am such an Aspie!) I am currently very sick and struggling to keep up with job and home obligations. Having to self treat severe fatigue and anxiety. I would love to get rid of that.

I said maybe but I don’t think I think would as to be honest i’m pretty awesome and wouldn’t want to be “normal”. However I would take a cure for anxity, epilepsy, celiac disease, ataxia and EDS if their any going.

why are there NTs that are obsessed with finding a "cure" that barely anyone would want?
Because some people's herd mentality is so strong that the mere thought of someone not being like them is unbearable. Autistic kid communicates differently? Why try to find a way to communicate with that kid, when it's easier to break the kid into the mold of "normal"? Society bullying people who are different? Well, why try to change society as a whole and make it more accepting, too much of a challenge, let's just bully NDs harder and hope that they will eventually cave in and submit to the common social rule.

I'm not denying there are challenges for parents of an autistic child, especially on the lower spectrum. But for those children who are said to be high functioning (I find that term so condescending, absolutely hate it), it's more of a matter of people not wanting to be bothered by finding new ways to adapt to a different person, and forcing that person to adapt to their ways.
A lot of parents are terrified of the stigma attached. Or see that child as a sign of their failure, socially speaking. Everything possible must be done so that they don't lose face, even if that involves reprogramming a child against his/her own nature. Oh, but at least the Smiths and the Joneses won't be gossiping, right? Then they'll say that they just want the kid to be more normal so that he doesn't suffer rejection. Well, how about showing acceptance? Starting at home?

I'd even go as far as saying that things such as ABA are somewhat like gay conversion therapy.

Now, pertaining to the initial question, I wouldn't change it. If NTs were a uniformly happy, fully employed, non-anxious, married bunch, there wouldn't be such things as psychiatrists, therapists, unemployment agencies or dating sites, because these were certainly created for the larger masses, not for the tiny fraction of population that we form ;)

Last edited:
No.
rebels.jpg

If what i know now is retained and could be utilized after the shift the world would be in serious trouble.
Will remain this way for now, for the sake of humans :x

Twisted ASD moment... Give the NT's the red pill and they become like us... Sorry I had to throw that in there... There would suddenly be a lot of freaked out individuals roaming our planet... Imagine suddenly going from NT to suddenly everything over stimulated and not really even knowing how to explain it.

And for that reason NO, I wouldn't want to take the pill because I don't think I can fathom what I might change into, and then I might not get back to the person I know as me.

When I was a kid, there was a trip from school during which every child was given a teddy bear. They were all different, some fluffy, some soft, some silky. The one I was given was with a blue scarf and a kind of a rough appearance, like it was made with leftover materials. I didn't want it since, simply, it was ugly. There was also a child that has received the softest looking one, a silky and pretty thing. Since that child didn't care about teddy bears much, he agreed to exchange his with mine. As such, I got the soft, pretty one.
However, it wasn't the same. It was pretty and soft but there was something missing. I realised that it was because it was just a teddy bear. It wasn't mine. It wasn't rough looking and it didn't have a blue scarf. In the end, I asked the boy to change the toys back and he obliged.

If I took the 'pill', would I still be able to call myself 'me'? Or would a part of 'me' die and another one 'born' in its placing, making it into acompletely different, alien person? Would it be really onlything or just a person with memories belonging to that weird 'onlything' girl? The way I see the world, the way I feel, the things I like and hate - it would all change since my brain itself would work differently. I don't think I would like it. To try it out from curiosity, why not, but change it permanently? No. Simply, no. It would be like throwing myself out of the bubble I have created to survive, straight into an ocean of alien languages, feelings and opinions.

Then, if it was a long-timed treatment, what would it do to me? Would it change me so slowly I would realise only years later that 'I' have become someone else?

Let's not. It took me a long time to start accepting myself for who I am. I'd rather proceed with the progress than start everything from the beginning.

Me version of autism granted me some fairly special gifts with a little tarnish on them...

Probably not.

I would be tempted, at times, because of wanting things to be easier.....but there are no guarantees in life and one person's "easy" is another person's "hard"....

And in any case, I think I'm okay just the way I am.

People in general (NTs) are disgusting IMO. Their means of communication is inferior. No one should ever want to be that way. I can do whatever they can.

To try to answer the young son and daughter question.
Would I allow someone to give my children a pill to permanently stop any Aspie traits?

Over my rotting corpse.!

In my own limited view, there's little difference between the above and what Hitler was trying to achieve.

Nobody can bake a cake with flour alone.

Eggs, sugar, baking powder, fats, icing sugar, heat, baking tins are also needed.
Diversity is essential in the mixing bowl of life.

I should like to see a cure for ignorance and greed. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom