• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would Turkey Burgers be an acceptable substitute for actual Turkey at Christmas meal time?

Turkey Burgers or traditional Turkey?

• Burgers

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Proper Turkey

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Being Aspie I'm a fussy eater, and I'm not really a fan of proper Turkey although I do like Turkey Burgers.

Would this acceptable as a Christmas Day meal or should I try the traditional Turkey?

Topic.

Being Aspie I'm a fussy eater, and I'm not really a fan of proper Turkey although I do like Turkey Burgers.

Would this acceptable as a Christmas Day meal or should I try the traditional Turkey?

I think that you should just eat whatever you and your family/friends feel like. For example I always have dumplings as a main dish because, duh, dumplings.

Is there some one who would get their feelings hurt by your not eating the regular turkey?
Do you usually have something different, just for you, on holidays?

Who's going to cook it?
Would it be an extra item for whoever is making dinner?
Or are you going to cook it yourself?
Or....maybe even offer, "Hey let's have a fun and casual Christmas Day meal,
burgers!"

It sounds like you have had trouble at the table in the past.
Maybe somebody said you should eat whatever's given you and not make a fuss.

But you're curious, what would it be like, getting what you want for a change,
instead of looking a whole turkey, again.

Edited>
A couple hours earlier today, I thought I knew what you were talking about.
Now I am not sure at all.

Do you mean you're going to be eating alone?
Or do you plan to have a meal with other people?

I was going to say turkey burgers but remembered veggie burgers and sweet potato fries being an exceptionally nice pairing. Don't know what your Christmas dinner situation is like. I'll end up most likely with pretty much the same excessive meal for Christmas as today but if it were just me I'd be more likely to keep it simple, maybe even just mac&cheese. But a veggie burger and sweet potato fries make a wonderful meal.

I was going to say turkey burgers but remembered veggie burgers and sweet potato fries being an exceptionally nice pairing. Don't know what your Christmas dinner situation is like. I'll end up most likely with pretty much the same excessive meal for Christmas as today but if it were just me I'd be more likely to keep it simple, maybe even just mac&cheese. But a veggie burger and sweet potato fries make a wonderful meal.

You’re speaking my language too. Maybe I’m just hungry.

I would say to just skip the turkey if it doesn’t appeal to you. If you were somehow able to convince everyone to eat turkey burgers then more power to you. I’m not a stickler for tradition. However, if the rest of the family wants the usual turkey then I would just go along with the crowd. It’s only one meal after all.

I rarely eat everything offered at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don’t like it all and it’s frankly too much food for one person.

If you really feel the need to eat meat at Christmas then offer to make Turkey burgers for anyone who wants them. Just make sure you don’t cause trouble with the person buying and cooking the usual meat.

Eat whatever you eat. We never had turkey for Christmas dinner because my Dad hates turkey. This year, my husband and I aren't even having a cooked dinner at all. We're finally doing what we want for Christmas day, and staying at home with Christmas junk food and the best food of all: party food ;)

Topic.

I don't think there's anything wrong with turkey burgers. It may not be "traditional" but it's still turkey :)

I love proper turkey and I love turkey burgers! We're not having either though, only ceviche and yogurts and fried chicken milanesa.

Screw inconvenient tradition. Big TB fan here!

Know that I ordered a drive-thru McChicken with extra sadness today though so I may not be the best data source.

Screw inconvenient tradition. Big TB fan here!

Know that I ordered a drive-thru McChicken with extra sadness today though so I may not be the best data source.

The nearest McDonald's to me was closed today. I'm stuck with a frozen turkey dinner for two, which I will eat by myself. There is just something about turkey on Thanksgiving. It feels like a must.

As a vegetarian, I eat neither turkey nor anything resembling turkey at holiday times. It's really up to each individual person what they want to eat.

Eat whatever you want, christmas is supposed to be fun, you shouldn't have to eat things you don't like out of obligation. Personally I look forward to turkey dinner all December, but that's because I love turkey, but I hate all christmas desserts so eat chocolate cake while my family eat Christmas cake and pudding. Meanwhile half my family are veggie and eat lentil roast instead of turkey. Everyone eats what they want to everyone has a good time.

Eat whatever you want. If you're eating with other people or want to bring something to share with others, consider making turkey burger sliders (very small burgers) as appetizers for everyone.

Yesterday for Thanksgiving our family cooked some ducks on the outdoor smoker, sausage and cornbread dressing, duck gravy, deviled eggs, various green and fruit salads, orange cranberry relish, and blue berry cobbler. It was not traditional but certainly was delicious.

Is there some one who would get their feelings hurt by your not eating the regular turkey?
Do you usually have something different, just for you, on holidays?

Who's going to cook it?
Would it be an extra item for whoever is making dinner?
Or are you going to cook it yourself?
Or....maybe even offer, "Hey let's have a fun and casual Christmas Day meal,
burgers!"

It sounds like you have had trouble at the table in the past.
Maybe somebody said you should eat whatever's given you and not make a fuss.

But you're curious, what would it be like, getting what you want for a change,
instead of looking a whole turkey, again.

Edited>
A couple hours earlier today, I thought I knew what you were talking about.
Now I am not sure at all.

Do you mean you're going to be eating alone?
Or do you plan to have a meal with other people?

I will be eating with family.

I live with them over the Christmas period.

Doesn't it ultimately depend on whether or not your family will accommodate you in the first place? If not, just eat what you can keep down and fill up on other things more to your liking. Something I did many times as a picky eater before contracting gastroesophageal reflux disease in my 40s.

Which now makes eating many foods impossible to consume no matter how much or how little. :eek:

Though yesterday I got lucky in going to another buffet that had plenty of things I actually could eat without consequences. :)

Essentially I'm most any host's worst dinner guest. Odds being that I cannot eat whatever you serve.

I'm a vegetarian so I would not like turkey or turkey burgers, but I think Christmas foods should just be happy, enjoyable foods -- whatever that looks like.

Doesn't it ultimately depend on whether or not your family will accommodate you in the first place? If not, just eat what you can keep down and fill up on other things more to your liking. Something I did many times as a picky eater before contracting gastroesophageal reflux disease in my 40s.

Which now makes eating many foods impossible to consume no matter how much or how little. :eek:

Though yesterday I got lucky in going to another buffet that had plenty of things I actually could eat without consequences. :)

Essentially I'm most any host's worst dinner guest. Odds being that I cannot eat whatever you serve.

My family knows I'm a fussy eater, so they've always gone out of their way to accommodate.

New Threads

Top Bottom