• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would anybody be willing to help out?

aw1766

Hello all,
My name is Amanda, and I'm a neuroscience undergrad at NSU. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take part in a research study I created. All I need is for a questionnaire to be filled out. You only have to answer some puzzles and a few questions about your interests. I do not ask for any personal information. I'm researching the psychological strengths of autism as it relates to solving logic puzzles. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I think my study will interest a lot of you because its run by an aspie with an interest in the actual strengths of autism as opposed to its difficulties. Plus logic puzzles are freaking fun :)
Let me know if you have any questions!! Here is the link to the survey:
Research Survey

In the question below the Rubik's cubes, "Which figure completes the series?", none do. One of them is next, but there are another seven to go. I enjoyed most of it.

I couldn't solve half of those on my own. The fact that people actually made it through boggles me
There were more than a few that totally defeated me. I do poorly on those kinds of tests which just confirm that I am on the spectrum! :)

So are autistic people generally good at this sort of thing or generally bad? I assumed good because you said researching strengths, but the above comment made me doubt it!

And is this test considered difficult or simple? I realize that's subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and type of intelligence, I just wonder if, when making it, the intention was for it to be difficult or not or something else entirely.

Also, a lot of the questions seemed to be the same question but with different presentation, unless I'm just a whacko, which I'm always open to the possibility of! If so, would that be on purpose to see if recognition of the pattern happens under another guise or is not so intentional? If the presentation had no noticeable impact, inability to recognize that pattern would make half the test impossible!

Unless it was just twice and I'm exaggerating. I often witness something twice and think "OMG THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME"

So are autistic people generally good at this sort of thing or generally bad? I assumed good because you said researching strengths, but the above comment made me doubt it!

And is this test considered difficult or simple? I realize that's subjective and depends on an individual's strengths and type of intelligence, I just wonder if, when making it, the intention was for it to be difficult or not or something else entirely.
Hi Fino,
Yes, some of the questions were designed to be extremely difficult. I reasoned that if everyone passed all the questions, I wouldn't gain any insight. I also added a handful of less difficult problems to prevent everyone from failing everything! My hypothesis is that people with autism will be more likely to excel at certain tasks, whereas an NT control group would score more evenly across the board on the different types of questions.
Hope that helped!
Amanda

Also, a lot of the questions seemed to be the same question but with different presentation, unless I'm just a whacko, which I'm always open to the possibility of! If so, would that be on purpose to see if recognition of the pattern happens under another guise or is not so intentional? If the presentation had no noticeable impact, inability to recognize that pattern would make half the test impossible!

Unless it was just twice and I'm exaggerating. I often witness something twice and think "OMG THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME"
I think what you might be noticing is that some of the questions were testing for particular types of intelligence, in which case you would be correct, some of them were intentionally similar

If there is a way for you to note discrepancy between
the self-report evaluation and performance, that would
be interesting.

If there is any of that.

Done. Some of those puzzles really threw me. o_O
Good luck with your study, I hope you get some meaningful results! Would be interesting to see the conclusions you come up with at the end too. :)

I’m pretty sure I got one answer right.
I’m missing the logic section of my brain apparently.

Is there somewhere with the answers? Or would it be wrong for someone here to explain one? Because the one with the dots made me question my existence.

New Threads

Top Bottom