• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would a relationship crash and burn with one having ADHD and the other having Autism?

Kaylen

Can anyone tell me since I have ADHD and my boy friend has Autism would our relationship work? I really want to know because I really love him very much and I don't want to lose him.

That's a tough question to answer. There's a lot of things that can cause a relationship to crash and burn. Even a lot of NT relationships crash and burn. So I wouldn't just look at your mental condition for answers. It's a gamble so if it works out, it works out.

Any relationship has to have a foundation of communication and trust, if you can build and sustain that then neurological differences are just part of the package.

In my opinion you are better off, because you will probably be more accepting and understanding of each other. For none of us fulfill the story book fantasies, knowing that gives us possibility.

I have autism and my husband is very ADHD and we are still together so I certainly hope its possible lol

We have many difficulties that we have had to overcome over the years but I don't think you can say any relationship won't work based on something like having autism or ADHD. I will say communication is very important and we wouldn't have made it this far without it. Not that we don't have struggles but we are able to communicate and work through things. Almost every single one of our arguments or struggles can be traced back to miscommunication or misunderstandings. Identifying my autism has been a big help in lowering the amount of issues we have due to understanding things ahead of time and communicating. So definitely communicate! Communication is important lol. Good luck!

IMG_0254.GIF

There's really no cookie cutter answer to that. If you two are compatible and willing to put in the effort, a relationship could work, whether you have ADHD and autism or not.

Of course it can, it's entirely up to you if it works. Every relationship has problems, it's just a case of working through them one by one. And if you want to talk doomed relationships, imagine being in a relationship with two NTs! Emotional on emotional, sounds horrific. Much prefer relationships where one or more partner is aspie!

Well, you'll never now how is going to be a relationship if you don't take a risk and try it. Every couple has and will fight over something, NT's or autists. My advice is try it, get to know each other and go slow.

I think who you are as individuals is what determines whether or not a relationship will work out.

Neurological conditions are just one part of a person, and how such conditions affect the individual and their relationships is going to be different (even if there are common experiences) from one person/relationship to the next.

New Threads

Top Bottom