• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worst thing a teacher has said to you?

RainbowAura

On the outside wishing I was something
When I was 12 or 13 I was hurt badly by a teacher. I had not at this point ever had something this bad. I was at class struggling and not finished anything when others could. I knew sewing was difficult for me and I was the worst in class. Don’t remember much help. At the end of class we were meant to take out the bobbin and return it to the stand. My teacher was a woman around about...60’s ish and she was plump and just like a wicked witch. I sat alone because this was the way it was..no one ever sat next to me in class all throughout most of high school, middle and primary.
She found one missing and told a student to go around looking for it. The girl came to where I was...She found it in mine. The woman teacher then had her face contort into hatred (she hated me anyway) and then said “YOU ARE THE MOST USELESS PERSON I’VE EVER MET!”
This made me burst into tears and no one did anything. I think someone did pat me on the back once and took off.I think the same girl who retrieved the bobbin but I don’t remember any comfort.
Once before cooking some kids in class were making fun of this sewing teacher. Suddenly her face starts slowly rising from the sewing block across the footpath with evil on her face like she was possessed or something. (She was behind the wall and she rose up to the window)
My cooking teacher at middle school also had a thing against me.

I am very bad at learning skills and finding a “knack” to anything. When I was younger I’d not stick to ideas I’d make and have trouble severely finding ideas to start with. I also have always had trouble “clicking on” and registering things in my brain and remembering things required to do or remember. And just learning in general. Just similar things like that. I’ve never had any diagnosis. Things that were easy for most students were not for me

When I was 11 I had a teacher hate my guts so bad she called me a “spoiled brat” and made it so obvious in ways how she hated me. Me and my friend at the time called her a witch and used a stupid (and very obvious) fake language about how we hated her. She would laugh at how she understood.

When was 12 my middle school teacher made jokes at me and said they should put me in Antartica display at a aquarium. He said other things at times.

When I was a high school all teachers hated me. Once I had accounting and couldn’t do it because I’m backward and unintelligent. But I had “collage dreams” and hoped he’d help. The first year I was forced to do this school subject but the second year I chose to. The teacher said to me like I was nothing “why did you sign up again if you can’t do it”. I badly wanted help. Once while my head was down and I was staring out the window (I did this most of the subject) a teacher came in and mockingly said “see you have a really SMART student!” With humour and my teacher laughed and muttered something.

My high school home room teacher had a thing against me too and my high school second year science teacher wasn’t too good to me either. And my third year English as well. I left in third year.

I was also hurt by the high school councillor.

The worst thing a teacher said to me was "Look me in the eyes when I'm explaining something to the class."
She accused me of not paying attention because I looked at the floor or some object in the room while she spoke.
I replied: " If I have to look you in the eyes when you're speaking, I'll never remember what you said." :confused:

I'm so sorry. You sound like you've suffered greatly due to these abusive authoritative figures in your life. God, I wish we could've been friends.

The worst thing a teacher ever said to me... I was seven years old, and there was a boy with severe autism in my first grade class. A woman, Mrs.Wandell, was his assistant. One day, the boy came into class with a bowl of ice cream and honey comb cereal sprinkled on top of it. He had apparently completed learning the multiplication tables, and this was his reward. Naturally, kids noticed the ice cream and made envious remarks. Mrs. Wandell spoke angrily and defiantly, proudly declaring why Bryce deserved the ice cream he was eating in front of all of us. I sat at a desk right next to his, and complained to someone beside me, "Why does HE get ice cream?" I truly wondered why. In that moment, Mrs. Wandell twisted around to look at me with a look of unmasked contempt. Her upper lip twisted, her nose crinkled, her eyes pierced me with their sudden hate - - and she uttered, in a voice dripping with loathing, "You know what?" I froze, locked in her icy gaze. "You... Are... The... BIGGEST BRAT... That I have ever met." And then she promptly turned back around and murmured sweet phrases of affirmation to the boy, who hadn't noticed.

To this day, I can still feel the pit in my stomach, if I recall that moment. It was like she gouged a hole in my stomach. I was confused. I didn't understand why she hated me, or what I had done to deserve the remark. I didn't utter a word after that. I remember the girl that I had complained to, asked me what was wrong. I shook my head, choking on tears, unable to answer. Unable to look at her. I stared at my lap then. She hadn't seen what had happened. Nobody did. But I thought about it, and I felt like I had been pummeled. My throat constricted and tears welled in my eyes.

Everybody loved Mrs. Wandell. She was a woman in her fifties, with long blonde hair and a maternal nature.

Mrs. Wandell tolerated me. I had gotten that sense early on, but I acted like the other kids, and vied for her attention and positive words. Before that, she had given these to me sparingly. It had never occurred to me why - why she spoke to me with tight, pursed lips and rolled her eyes at me. Now I knew: I was repulsive to her.

Looking back, I think it's ironic. (I was autistic too!!!) She obviously had an enormous soft spot for kids with disabilities, likely stemming from her own emotional issues and a need to care for those who remind her of someone she is personally affected by. Not due to an enormous heart. No. She didn't have an enormous heart. She had an enormous need to tell everyone why her disabled student was smarter than them, deserved special attention and extra phrase, deserved more than us, deserved our understanding and REVERENCE. We were expected to compliment him. We were expected to call him King Bryce, because that's what he decided his name was. He called us PEASANTS. He spoke to us like we were his garbage, and he grew enraged if we did not follow with his fantasies of being ruler.

Anyway... There were many more incidents. I was a very smart kid, but I was undiagnosed. The most popular female teachers always hated me, from kindergarten up til sixth grade. Always... I didn't understand. It seemed like they favored the popular girls, the ones who stroked the teacher's ego by kissing up. The teachers always played favorites. And they turned a blind eye to the bullying. Sometimes they even participated and openly facilitated it... I remember my fifth grade teacher made a depraved remark about me in front of the class, and everybody snickered and laughed. They looked at me and giggled. I had been making an annoying sound by rubbing a sheet of paper against my jeans. I was stimming and I didn't realize others could hear. The teacher, a young morbidly obese woman, abruptly stopped teaching and looked at me. She said in a dismissive, biting tone, "HEY. Zoie. Whatever it is you're doing, rubbing that paper against your leg... STOP IT." And all the kids smirked. She made a facial expression that said, "What do you expect? You brought this on yourself." And she smirked too, looking back to the white board and proceeding to teach. I felt an air of quiet satisfaction from her. The other kids kept whispering. Sneered at me. They whispered to me, "Yeah Zoie. What ARE you doing?" I blushed. Confused. Ashamed. And I was quiet then. My eyes glued to the work in front of me. I couldn't think or process anything being taught after that, for the rest of the class. I was in shock. And embarrassed.

(In hindsight, my stimming behaviors and my inability to recognize the fact that others could hear or see me, even when I wasn't actively paying attention to them--and would interpret the behavior as weird and annoying--was a part of the reason I got picked on. I had auditory stims. In third grade, I would whistle through my teeth during silent time. Then several kids told me how annoying it was and told me to stop. I stopped and then started doing it again. Then the kids would angrily tell me, in unison, to stop making that sound! And hadn't they already told me to stop? I had stopped. They didn't tell me I couldn't start to do it again... The same occurred when I developed another stim, sighing and making clicking sounds with my throat. My mother hated those. "What ARE you DOING?! STOP SIGHING. I TOLD you to stop. Those aren't even real sighs..." I was defensive, confused, and mostly hurt. Taken aback by her disdain. Why did I bother her? How did I bother I? And why didn't she believe me when I told her I sighed because I felt like I needed to sigh every few minutes?.. . I also face rubbed a lot. I'd rub my hand and arm against my face... I did it unconsciously and found ways to do it more stealthily, when I realized others thought it looked weird...)

The kids that bullied me were pleasant kids. Sweet kids. Good kids. They asked the teachers questions and did what was expected. And me? I was a loud kid (I had auditory processing issues). A defiant kid (I didn't recognize authority). An uncooperative kid (I didn't like to do things unless they made sense). A disrespectful kid (it didn't occur to me to hide my disdain for the kids that bullied me when we all sat before the teacher; I didn't think to lie sweetly and play dumb, to pretend I had no idea why I couldn't get along with the others). An ANNOYING kid (I finished my work early and they had to give me more work to do, so I wasn't doing nothing while my classmates worked). A bratty kid (they interpreted my literalness for smart mouth). A clumsy kid (I had general motor skill delays). A kid that all the other kids disliked (I. E. a kid who deserved to be disliked).

A teacher, Ms. B, once pulled me aside. This was first grade as well. She was furious because apparently I had made her favorite student cry. She told me, "YOU ARE SICK. This girl right here," gesturing to the sobbing Chloe, whom I had demanded give me her ring during recess (as a result of bullying, abuse at home, delayed empathy, and special interests which often revolved around specific items I saw and grew obsessed with)," is the SWEETEST girl in this entire world. Why she would even want to be friends with... With someone LIKE YOU..." She shook her head in disgust, pulling Chloe protectively under her wing and then barking a command at me, "NOW APOLOGIZE! APOLOGIZE TO CHLOE RIGHT NOW." And I did. And I was sent back to class. I was stunned. I didn't know why Chloe was so upset. I hated her for telling her teacher, for crying to her about how awful I was. And I was devastated. Because I wanted Ms. B to like me. I thought she liked me, because she liked my sister. In hindsight, I know that fondness did not extend to me. At all.

Another teacher... Linda. She is was Brian's and Hunter's interpreter. She saw me with my hand in my pants, during a movie in class. It was dark and I thought no one could see, so I just itched myself. And she saw, and made a face of disgust. She whispered, "EWW, that's DISGUSTING. Go wash your hands right now." I obediently complied. As I stood up, a couple kids asked me what I had done. I shrugged, and went to the sink at the back of the classroom to wash my hands. My heart was hammering. I felt sweaty. Ashamed. Again - confused. The way she had looked at me... I didn't understand. Why. Why they were repulsed by me. I stared at my hands, trying not to cry. Choking on the feeling of shame, the sense that I was outcast by others.

By the time I got to middle school and high school, I was desperate to be liked. Fortunately, by this time, there were teachers who could appreciate me for my intellectual strengths. There were teachers who admired my art, who liked my intense interest in learning, who appreciated my solid work ethic, who were fond of me and my adult like reasoning capacities. They also probably noticed I was distant from my classmates, and perhaps took pity on me. I don't know.

Last edited:
@Zoie
Sounds like they took compassion on certain students and didn’t realise they were hurting others who had their own issues as well. So sorry you had to go through that.

Fortunately, teachers never usually had anything bad to say about me. I was never disruptive, defiant, I always did my homework on time, I listened in class, and I had no learning problems, so they usually would like that (made their jobs easier, at least). However, I've always had problems with talking, and a small number of teaching staff have really disliked me because of that. They saw my inability to speak as rudeness (I really hope that's changed these days) and would try to bully me in to speaking, which of course didn't change that I couldn't and just made me terrified of them instead. I hope young children that can't talk don't get put in the situations I was put in when they were trying to get a reaction out of me (which wouldn't work). I think those were worse than what was directly said, of which the worst I can currently think of is when I was told I'd be stuck in primary school if I never talked (which was a lie, but I was motivated to do well in school, so that one hurt me the most).

How rude of that teacher! Some teachers think that they can say what they like to kids and then get away with it. They shouldn't be teaching. I'm a teacher myself and would never say that to a student, no matter how frustrated I am. I might describe a situation or an object as 'useless', but never a person!!

Wow, it sounds like a lot of your teachers needed to exercise some self control of their own feelings. Not professional sounding at all. Did they honestly not expect children or teens to be challenging?? They need to set good example, not lash out at their students. :emojiconfused:

Not with you on this one, could you please explain?
Also, why did you say 'worse'?

Heaven17 worse than Marc almond.

The song temptation referring to you sentence :

I might describe a situation or an object as 'useless', but never a person!

Referring to a possible temptation considering some of the pupils you have!

Heaven17 worse than Marc almond.

The song temptation referring to you sentence :

I might describe a situation or an object as 'useless', but never a person!

Referring to a possible temptation considering some of the pupils you have!
Oh I see, I was looking for some hidden meaning in the lyrics or something. Yes, I do get frustrated at times and must exercise self-control and not shout. I find it hard and need to have coping mechanisms for this. However, it is usually the situation I get frustrated with, and problems caused by a lack of communication on my part or the student's part. I might get upset/frustrated that a student isn't paying attention, or that a student is trying to secretly look at his/her phone during the lesson and so misses instructions, then I might tell the student to buck up and pay attention, or ask them to turn off their phone or put it in a different room, but I would never call them useless - nobody, is ever useless!!

I've had a few things happen, but i've only been truly insulted by one of my teachers. I was about 12, and we were in the middle of a presentation when i got up and threw my juicebox out. That small thing triggered my 7th grade teacher, and she called us a "bunch of retards" and told us only a few kids would pass along with other insults, staring right at me the whole time. After that, she'd send my parents notes about how "She didn't know how she was supposed to teach me" and berrated me for my meltdowns and other outbursts when my schedule was broken. I put up with her, but never gave her compliments when she asked for them, even though the other kids ostracized me for still hating her. In high school the kids were terrible, but i only had an inexperienced principle and one really strict history teacher. The principal told my bullies to say one thing they hated about my class, and of course every kid went for me. The principal told me to stop doing what bugged them to make them feel better, and by my turn i was in tears. She didn't comfort me, and instead sided with my bullies. The only person who stood up for me was the teacher of the class they walked in on. They at least yelled at the kids for being mean enough, and criticized them for making me cry. The history teacher would yell at my class for being loud, but the only thing they did that really bothered me was say "get back to work" as soon as i walked in after being sick for 3 days. Didn't even get a "hey, hello, feeling better?" I ended up hating school after that, and stopped being able to do my work or even comply with some teachers. I always hated school because i could never focus or force myself to do my work, so except for a bit of trauma, nothing really changed.

I once told my English teacher to "sod off", he was a Scouser and they're known for their weird sense of humour, but then a while later he had a go at me for shouting at him.

And even worse, I once told the Head of the "Unit" to "Kiss my arse!", if looks could've killed I wouldn't be here posting this now! But she was a "Dragon Lady" anyway and that's being kind.

Not exactly said, but in elementary school a teacher punished me for not understanding sarcasm (I responded as if it was literal, which got interpreted as snark. I thought it was wildly unfair, and didn't understand what happened.)

When I was at school, a pervy PE teacher made me do pushups in front of the class because I hated my name, and wanted people to call me by a different, gender neutral one. It was because I hated myself, I found people using my name too direct/intimate, I can't really explain why I felt this way and wanted this - I was a tomboy and had one or two gender dysphoria traits.

Another time, a classmate set me up for punishment: she asked me to say 'charming!' to the teacher, fully aware that the teacher would interpret that as sarcasm and that I wouldn't pick up on it, so I said it, and then got sent out of the class and probably detention, but I can't remember it too well.

Another time, I got shouted at because of the following conversation:

Religious education teacher: So the Virgin Mary gave birth to a son...
Me: So if she was a virgin, how come she gave birth to a son?

Instead of attempting to explain it to me, he just shouted at me for being rude. But I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just pointing out what I saw as a flaw in the story.

My form teacher sent us all home with charity collection bags.

When they all came back she let out all the kids who had donated and kept back those of us that had not (or rather our parents had not).

She stood in front of us and started shouting with rage in her eyes. Screamed at us that we were all "tight b****rds".

I forgot to give the bag to my mum, but she also disagreed with the "moral blackmail" of using kids to collect for charity. I agree, and I'd go mental if my kids were ever pressured in that way.

Once my Religious Ed teacher, who was a bit ...... got mad with us all talking, and shouted at us. Then my mate who was a really good kid and had not been misbehaving like the rest of us whispered something to me.

The teacher came up in front of him, grabbed his shirt collar and pulled his head onto the desk, and started beating on his back with his fists.

I think the whole class was traumatised after that.

Not sure if that was the lessons where he taught us religious tolerance or the one before it :D

New Threads

Top Bottom