• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Workplace reasonable adjustments

OrangeSquash

Hi All
Background info - I am a sales executive for a construction material supplied PLC in UK...

I have just had a performance review, my first one after my diagnosis...

We are 'graded' on 4 areas of what we do... Volume of sales, Profitability, another slightly different profitability, and general housekeeping (quote admin, professionalism, accuracy of work etc) The last 3 are very good, but my volume of sales are rubbish - something that I believe is common among a lot of us.

Based on my neurodiversity which they are well aware of, and the fact that the profitability, accuracy and timely nature of all that I do at my job; would it...

A. Be reasonable for me to ask for a reduction of my daily/weekly/monthly sales target?
B Be reasonable for my employer to agree to a reduction of my daily/weekly/monthly sales target?

I also have an issue where by my manager (who delivered my review) processed an order which I had originally quoted, worth to me nearly 3 days of sales target - and in the meeting asked me if there was anything he could do to assist me with my poor sales volume.

Any comments would be appreciated on this.

Thanks team :blush:

Hi All
Background info - I am a sales executive for a construction material supplied PLC in UK...

We are 'graded' on 4 areas of what we do... Volume of sales, Profitability, another slightly different profitability, and general housekeeping (quote admin, professionalism, accuracy of work etc) The last 3 are very good, but my volume of sales are rubbish - something that I believe is common among a lot of us.

Based on my neurodiversity which they are well aware of, and the fact that the profitability, accuracy and timely nature of all that I do at my job; would it...

A. Be reasonable for me to ask for a reduction of my daily/weekly/monthly sales target?
B Be reasonable for my employer to agree to a reduction of my daily/weekly/monthly sales target?

I also have an issue where by my manager (who delivered my review) processed an order which I had originally quoted, worth to me nearly 3 days of sales target - and in the meeting asked me if there was anything he could do to assist me with my poor sales volume.

In my experience, "reasonable accommodation" is anything that does not affect profits, volume, cash flow, or inconvenience anybody. Good luck.

This is what stands out to me. It sounds like your manager stole your sale, then wants to know why you aren't performing well. Is there documentation that you originally quoted the order? If so, I'd take this up the chain.

I hate sales/retail. Too much of your success depends on what other people do, which of course you have no control over. From what I've heard, pretty much any customer interaction job is the same way (or so I hear from my friends in telecom).

Hi All

It means the bare minimum in law ,youd have to check accomodations for England ,Scottish law is slightly different to welsh /English law.
Ask the Citizens advice bureau theyd be the most up-to-date

This is what stands out to me. It sounds like your manager stole your sale, then wants to know why you aren't performing well. Is there documentation that you originally quoted the order? If so, I'd take this up the chain.

I hate sales/retail. Too much of your success depends on what other people do, which of course you have no control over. From what I've heard, pretty much any customer interaction job is the same way (or so I hear from my friends in telecom).

Yes. I have the enquiry in my day-book, the email sending the quote to the customer, the email chain asking said manager for assistance to price it (ie, how much should I charge (more or less compulsory)) and a screen shot of the order, displaying date quoted and date order-processed.

Edit: incorrect word

Yes. I have the enquiry in my day-book, the email sending the quote to the customer, the email chain asking said manager for assistance to price it (ie, how much should I charge (more or less compulsory)) and a screen shot of the order, displaying date quoted and date order-processed.

I'd definitely be moving that up the chain. If the manager sees fit to steal one large order from you, they'll see fit to steal other large orders from you and others. They get the gold stars, you do all the work, and to boot, you risk poor performance reviews and disciplinary action because you don't get credit for the work you actually do.

Nip this in the bud.

An issue I have is that i really don't trust anybody in the organisation. There is so much secrecy, cloak & dagger etc, and so much is swept under the carpet. If I make my feelings known to his manager, I'd expect just a quick "oh yes, we'll switch it back - sorry about that" as a response. But this kind-of opens up the flood gates to make me suspicious of a plan to constructively dismiss me; how many other orders have I had stolen from me to make my figures look poor without me realising?

An issue I have is that i really don't trust anybody in the organisation. There is so much secrecy, cloak & dagger etc, and so much is swept under the carpet. If I make my feelings known to his manager, I'd expect just a quick "oh yes, we'll switch it back - sorry about that" as a response. But this kind-of opens up the flood gates to make me suspicious of a plan to constructively dismiss me; how many other orders have I had stolen from me to make my figures look poor without me realising?

Frankly this sounds like what I'd call a "hostile work environment".

The kind where it's unlikely that you can change the culture as such. Where you may simply be better off seeking work elsewhere. Especially if you have a manager so brazen as to pinch your sales quotes to begin with.

The fact that you are reviewed on this indicates to me that it is a core part of your job, and thus I wouldn't consider a reduction in that target a reasonable adjustment. Reasonable adjustments are supposed to help you do your job, not allow you to not do your job.

my mother had a disability of sorts and no sympathy was given or accomodation ,amazing by solicitors!someone had cystic fibrosis couldnt do enough for them ,British people can be so hard .

My reasonable accommodation consists of having a relatively quiet office and regular talks with my manager to see if I’m doing okay. I’m currently working half days as I’m just returning from sick leave due to a depressive episodes. Other than that I’m expected to be just as productive as my peers in the hours I’m working.

Hi all, thanks for all the responses.

What counts as a reasonable adjustment: I suspected as much, but I guess I just needed it confirming.

The order stealing: it’s almost a comical situation really – steal my orders in the AM, lambast me for under-performing in the PM! I am going to ask him about it and make my feelings known to him. There might be a logical explanation for this, but maybe I’ll never know.

Funny thing is, my days are numbered here anyway, and it is a terribly hostile environment. All being well, from late January I will be working at the gym I coach at on a full time basis – which I am very pleased with, hard work pays off!

Thanks again

Hi all, thanks for all the responses.

What counts as a reasonable adjustment: I suspected as much, but I guess I just needed it confirming.

The order stealing: it’s almost a comical situation really – steal my orders in the AM, lambast me for under-performing in the PM! I am going to ask him about it and make my feelings known to him. There might be a logical explanation for this, but maybe I’ll never know.

Funny thing is, my days are numbered here anyway, and it is a terribly hostile environment. All being well, from late January I will be working at the gym I coach at on a full time basis – which I am very pleased with, hard work pays off!

Thanks again
be wary Any business has that element in it ,like for instance a gym ,my mother only got her job because they didn’t have somebody in that department and she didn’t stay very long.

be wary Any business has that element in it ,like for instance a gym ,my mother only got her job because they didn’t have somebody in that department and she didn’t stay very long.
Thank you. I am wary of any change, but this one...
I work at what the industry calls a micro-gym. We are not a part of a 'globo-gym' type chain, like Golds, David Lloyd, Puregym, Planet Fitness etc, we are a stand-alone functional fitness gym in what was a crayon factory years ago! Over the last 18 months I seem to have become quite respected by the members and the owner sees me as a 'leader' and go-to guy for the other coaches too - this is just formalizing what I do and paying me for the work I guess I already do. Its a no-brainer for him, and me too.

New Threads

Top Bottom