• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work, work, and more work (literally)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Right now at my work (recycling industry) we are cramming in massive hours, and to make a long story short I see very light end to it because we are behind in sorting... Basically every work day is 10 hours (Monday to Friday)... We are working this Saturday on a weekend! (Ugh!) and we worked nine hours on Good Friday...

Essentially I still feel worn out, I feel like my spare time is being ripped away from me because of my lack of energy, even my weekends don't seem long enough...

And I'm getting grumpier and grumpier by the day... This may sound weird, but I'm getting slightly depressed because I feel (I know) it's affecting my photography and my interest in the arts scene, which for me is a major special interest, just simply the time to do it, like having my Saturday afternoon ripped away from me because of a work shift...

I don't understand how other people can be cheerful around me at work in the midst of it, I'm irritated and having trouble staying positive lately, and once again there is really no end in sight, Ack! Except for a road trip mini vacation I've booked off for late May into early June, it just seems so far away though...

That doesn't sound weird at all.

Is changing jobs at all a possibility in your future? It seems like it frequently makes you unhappy. :(

I would start looking around for another job, perhaps start applying for other ones. As for your coworkers being cheerful, I very much doubt that they really are, it it likely affecting them just as much as it does you, but in many jobs it seems to be a social thing not to be seen complaining and maintaining an air of cheerfulness, even though there is nothing to be cheerful about.

I would start looking around for another job, perhaps start applying for other ones. As for your coworkers being cheerful, I very much doubt that they really are, it it likely affecting them just as much as it does you, but in many jobs it seems to be a social thing not to be seen complaining and maintaining an air of cheerfulness, even though there is nothing to be cheerful about.

Plus, that cheerfulness that your co-workers are engaged in may be being use as a form of morale booster. Maintaining good morale can help with the passing of time, as well as keep you distracted from the boring/monotonous routines of the job as hand. My theory here is, is that because of the AS/NT barrier. It's keeping you from engaging in the current social interaction, and because of that. You arn't getting that morale boost that your other co-worker are getting.

I feel the same immediate drop in morale when the boss says we need to go to 10 hour days. When that happens, we are so ridiculously busy that 2 more hours a day seems like a drop in the bucket for getting the work done, but it's enough to really mess with my life.

There are some guys who love it. To them, the extra money means more to them than the time given up in their lives. Some of them don't have much for fun outside activities like you do, they just go home and sit in front of the TV with a beer. Some of them would actually rather stay at work, due to a bad marriage or home life, so they welcome both the extra money and the excuse to stay away longer.

In my 20 years with the company, I've been in your position many times, and many times I seriously thought about getting a different job, even had interviews. Especially when I lost time with my daughter, because that was scarce to begin with. But with manufacturing and engineering jobs still disappearing, I'm thankful I'm still employed.

It has helped getting a different house. I'm 1/3 the distance from work as I was, and I have a garage to work in when it's dark or bad weather. And I no longer have neighbors, HOA, or zoning boards to file suit against me for what I do (or don't get done) with my property.

I'm feeling better tonight, was quite tired last night... But instead of two days to go, three days to go instead...

I feel the same immediate drop in morale when the boss says we need to go to 10 hour days. When that happens, we are so ridiculously busy that 2 more hours a day seems like a drop in the bucket for getting the work done, but it's enough to really mess with my life.

There are some guys who love it. To them, the extra money means more to them than the time given up in their lives. Some of them don't have much for fun outside activities like you do, they just go home and sit in front of the TV with a beer. Some of them would actually rather stay at work, due to a bad marriage or home life, so they welcome both the extra money and the excuse to stay away longer.

In my 20 years with the company, I've been in your position many times, and many times I seriously thought about getting a different job, even had interviews. Especially when I lost time with my daughter, because that was scarce to begin with. But with manufacturing and engineering jobs still disappearing, I'm thankful I'm still employed.

It has helped getting a different house. I'm 1/3 the distance from work as I was, and I have a garage to work in when it's dark or bad weather. And I no longer have neighbors, HOA, or zoning boards to file suit against me for what I do (or don't get done) with my property.

You sound like me, this is just a low spot... Where I live in Alberta the economy for jobs is very poor right now, I've also worked there for long enough to get four weeks of vacation time and would hate to lose that... I should be (I am) thankful for having a job in our current economy...

The real truth, I've been holding out slightly...

Over many years of posting my photos online, I've always been slightly "afraid", if that's the right term, of what would happen if I stopped posting... Perhaps because I get out so much to photograph, that if for some reason (perhaps working too much) I don't even take photos for a period of time, what would I do... Will people just forget about me?

I know it's probably faulty reasoning, but those thoughts cross my mind, and not that I'm trying to become famous or anything like that, just stuff like that that I think about...

It makes sense. We naturally want something to show for our existence, some evidence that the passing time wasn't for nothing and we aren't anonymous or meaningless and that we matter to somebody somewhere, important in some way.

And your pictures are on the desktop of my computer, so you're important to me!

Lately I've wondered about things like that, did I really make a difference or was it just coincidence? For example I was with a c-band provider for like 4-5 years, then had to put it on hold due to finances. When I tried to come back in a few months they had disappeared. Went to another provider and stayed with them for another 6 or so years. Put the service on hold for maybe 6 months because I was moving. Transplanted the 10 foot dish to the new house, got it tuned in, and went to resubscribe and found out they shut down. The old house had a nearby gas station that was in business for 33 years, I went there 17 of those years. Shortly after I moved I found they had closed down. There have been other things too.

I realize one customer is just a drop in the bucket to keeping a business open, but sometimes I wonder if I was part of the decision to keep it open.

Lately I've wondered about things like that, did I really make a difference or was it just coincidence? For example I was with a c-band provider for like 4-5 years, then had to put it on hold due to finances. When I tried to come back in a few months they had disappeared. Went to another provider and stayed with them for another 6 or so years. Put the service on hold for maybe 6 months because I was moving. Transplanted the 10 foot dish to the new house, got it tuned in, and went to resubscribe and found out they shut down. The old house had a nearby gas station that was in business for 33 years, I went there 17 of those years. Shortly after I moved I found they had closed down. There have been other things too.

I realize one customer is just a drop in the bucket to keeping a business open, but sometimes I wonder if I was part of the decision to keep it open.

This may sound cliche, but most us won't become very famous (as such), but it's amazing how many people you might inspire, even if it's only a few people, sometimes we won't even know... @Fino said it best I think... I've also been hearing lately about how people buy views and hits on social media, something I won't do...

Ultimately I do my photography for myself, and if other people appreciate my oddball style, the more the merrier... :) Note: I'm not all that popular, but that's okay...

And it might be hard to understand, might take intense conscious effort, at least for me, to entirely grasp the fact that being famous is not a good thing, is not an indication of value or contribution, does not necessarily do anything for the existential crisis it was intended to fix, and if its implications were understood would not be as widely sought after--I'm not saying that the opposite of these are true either, just that fame itself is not a positive or negative in these regards, it just is.

My latest, slightly bizarre, photo... I just stumbled upon this scene last weekend, but the artist likes it... And I'm off for the evening, at least for a couple of hours...

Kyle Marks 01.jpg

I love it! :D

I wonder if I'm biased toward you now. You should have someone else post a photo of yours and claims its theirs to see if I like it. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom