• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work making anxiety worse...

AngelWings17

I've just noticed lately that when I work retail hours, which I'm not getting any now but had a meeting for last night, my anxiety gets worse. It's almost as if retail worsens my anxiety.

And even today. I'm working on host today at 3, but my anxiety is already near peak. I've had a mini meltdown not too long ago, about 20 minutes ago, and it sucks. I like host a whole heck of a lot better than retail, as it keeps me busy even when dead. But today I just keep anticipating the worst to happen.

Any ideas on how I can calm down, if I can?

Damnit... I can't even type right now with these shaky hands...

It's almost as if retail worsens my anxiety.

It did for me. I think it would for most anyone on the spectrum of autism. I'm assuming you interact directly with customers.

A number of people here working in the dreaded retail sector have a pretty good approach to it, in learning to script responses with customers, whether it involves something pleasant, or more often something problematic. It may take a bit of time on your part to plan such things, but in the end it may alleviate some of that anxiety. Especially for this situations where an irate customer may unfairly "ambush" you. The comfort in knowing you may have the answer before the question.

I resolved in my early 20s to stay away from retail after that...and I did. But the reality for me is that no matter what work I did, I still found myself having to deal with clients and coworkers on a regular basis. But if such interactions aren't particularly dynamic, it may be easier to script most interactions, whatever they may involve.

I could never work retail. I barely remember how much it sucked just being a worker bee following orders but I do remember that when I got anxious I would just focus more on the task I was doing and usually start a nonsensical song over and over in my head until the day was over.

Your typing skills are excellent, so no need for: damnit!

You need to give it a bit of time. I know that is not what you want to hear, but believe me, it will get easier for you.

Do they know you have aspergers? If not, would it be worth it telling them?

Your typing skills are excellent, so no need for: damnit!

You need to give it a bit of time. I know that is not what you want to hear, but believe me, it will get easier for you.

Do they know you have aspergers? If not, would it be worth it telling them?

What I meant by not being able to type was that my hands were shaking to the point where I'd mess up constantly and have to fix it.

I have told a couple co-workers, but the retail manager, who I feel I can no longer talk to, is leaving soon and we'll be getting a new one. A fresh start. Maybe I'll be able to communicate better with whoever the new manager is.

I've just noticed lately that when I work retail hours, which I'm not getting any now but had a meeting for last night, my anxiety gets worse. It's almost as if retail worsens my anxiety.

And even today. I'm working on host today at 3, but my anxiety is already near peak. I've had a mini meltdown not too long ago, about 20 minutes ago, and it sucks. I like host a whole heck of a lot better than retail, as it keeps me busy even when dead. But today I just keep anticipating the worst to happen.

Any ideas on how I can calm down, if I can?

Damnit... I can't even type right now with these shaky hands...

For me, breathing exercises and telling myself its okay over and over help. As did days of research once i realized it was anxiety and not just me overreacting.

Agree with Kari.

Breath in through the nose, concentrating on the air going into your nostrils (man that word grates on me for some reason) and into your lungs (deep in via extending your stomach out to increase lung capacity as you breath in).

Then open your mouth and breath out through your mouth making a rushing noise as you force the air out between your lips.

Just think about your breathing in, holding momentarily then breathing out gently bringing your thought back to the sensation of breathing moment by moment.

Repeat for as long as you need to become calm.

This really does work; it also can lower blood pressure.

I'd never do retail in a million years. Too many people, too much bombardment, too much scrutiny. And some nasty customers actually seem to get off on making you feel miserable. No way jose. Not for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom