• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work efficiency

JuliaM

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to be efficient at work? I am doing an internship in a nursing home as an occupational therapy assistant student in which efficiency is important but difficult.

Thank you.

I try not to let myself overanalyze the most efficient order to do things in and instead just make sure I'm always accomplishing something. It's kind of paradoxical, but when I focus on trying to work as efficiently as possible I end up being completely inefficient. I end up paralyzed by indecision because I'm trying to figure out the best possible way to get my work done. It's better for me to just get started on some part of the work, even if the task I pick isn't the best possible choice for that moment.

The best method for me, when possible, is to break my tasks into manageable parts and write them out in a list. I then quickly pick whichever one seems easiest to start with, complete it, and then cross it off the list. Every time I get to cross something off the list, it builds momentum to keep getting more things done until everything is done. Of course, list writing isn't convenient in some situations, but even then I can stick to the principle of 'pick a task, any task, and do it.' The key is to always be getting something done, even if it isn't the best possible thing to be getting done. At least that's what works for me. It's how I broke through my procrastination problem and my problem of getting overwhelmed with too much to do and therefore doing nothing.

Can't say I understand all the duties of an occupational therapy assistant to be able to really answer that. Although as a former corporate instructor of time management, that it pays to prioritize whatever work you are doing on a continual basis.

Perhaps one patient's needs might be more complex and time-consuming than another. In this context it may be best to prioritize them accordingly. To take the more complex and serious cases first, which may require more time and effort.

I would say that one way of being efficient is to learn from your mistakes (everybody makes mistakes) and repetition. Remember projects that you have done before. Whatever it is that you do at work, become the best at it. But keep in mind, this takes time. It is not going to happen overnight.

Welcome to Autism Forums!

Ask questions if you're not sure of something. Also relax for a couple minutes every hour where possible. That helps you to unwind and regain focus.

New Threads

Top Bottom