• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work dress code

Robby

I'm starting work this week at an insurance call center. The company has fairly strict guidelines for dress code for men especially. This isn't a big deal, because I enjoy wearing ties and bow ties and dress pants anyway, that's kind of my style, I do have tattoos but those will be covered. The question is though, the dress code says men should be clean shaven except for well trimmed and groomed mustache/goatee. I have a very close-cut beard, I keep it well trimmed. During my initial interview, nobody said anything about it to me, and I noticed a guy with a very nice mustache. The only thing they mentioned was to not wear my earrings. If they ever told me to shave my beard this would be a total deal breaker because I have no confidence without it. Plus, it's stupid. Why the **** would anyone do that in 2016. So hopefully my neat overall appearance won't make this an issue. I keep my beard very well trimmed and close cut. I would never shave it. I can understand covering tattoos and jewelry, but that policy seems a bit high school to me. I really need this job, so hoping for the best, At least they allow some form of facial hair. Mine isn't grizzly at all, it's well groomed. Basically I have a five o clock shadow. Going for orientation this week. Hope for the best. Cause the beard isn't going anywhere!

I think you'll be okay. Insurance and finance companies tend to be very conservative places which is the reasoning for the dress code. I was an IT contractor at Vanguard and I had to wear a suit and tie. What happened to the dispatch job?

Last edited:
This is actually the same dispatch job. Just hadn't noticed all their dress code requirements before. I think if my beard had been an issue they would have told me on my interview. The dress attire is certainly no issue I dress like that pretty much all the time anyway, but hoping they'll let me keep the beard. The only thing they told me on the interview was to wear nude earrings or none at all and to keep my tattoo covered, said nothing about the beard. Hope it works out! Doing orientation this week.

LOL. Oh my. Where to begin. I spent nearly 20 years in insurance. An inherently conservative corporate culture. Be forewarned.

I still recall in the 80s when a competitor- Safeco required all male employees to physically wear a jacket while seated in their workstation! The company I worked for slowly evolved to "business casual" dress. Haven't worn a tie regularly since the early 90s.

Yeah...pass on the earrings altogether. Hopefully the beard should be ok though. (I've had a mustache since I was a teenager.) Good luck with the new job.

Last edited:
Where I work thing like that can slide for years until someone pushes the dress code too far. Then the memo will come out about what proper dress code is etc., blah blah blah; or someone new will get the admin job and start pushing the dress code, along with allowable breaks, talking to others, eating at your desk, etc.

From my understanding at the interview I will be doing roadside support on the phone. So no face to face. I hope I can do the job. It tends to take me a little while to learn new things and I am not a good multi-tasker. I'm good over the phone, but I don't always think that fast on my feet. As long as things are fairly predictable and I can learn them, I'll be ok. Voc Rehab put me onto this job so hopefully it works out. Never really had a job before. So we'll find out how it goes I guess. Last time I tried a job was as a receptionist and that was a disaster I got overwhelmed and left. Told myself I would stick it out longer this time. Dreading it, but hoping for the best.

From my understanding at the interview I will be doing roadside support on the phone. So no face to face. I hope I can do the job. It tends to take me a little while to learn new things and I am not a good multi-tasker. I'm good over the phone, but I don't always think that fast on my feet. As long as things are fairly predictable and I can learn them, I'll be ok. Voc Rehab put me onto this job so hopefully it works out. Never really had a job before. So we'll find out how it goes I guess. Last time I tried a job was as a receptionist and that was a disaster I got overwhelmed and left. Told myself I would stick it out longer this time. Dreading it, but hoping for the best.

Just try to keep one consistent dynamic in mind. When policyholders contact the company, expect them to be stressed to some degree. Insurance is something you pay for and hope you'll never need to use. Try not to take it personally if they get short with you.

If it would reassure you maybe you could say to the person who trains that you've been through the dress code and just wanted to check what you are wearing is suitable. Don't mention the beard, if they say you're fine leave it at that.

I'll try and do my best. I'm panicking a little honestly. I hope they don't have me handling insurance questions I have no idea about that kind of thing. I can do roadside assistance, if it's basic, but I am scared I'll mess up or won't be able to keep up. As of now they do not know I have autism and hoping not to have to tell them but if I do run into issues hopefully they will be accommodating if I'm honest with them. This is just all new to me. I have an excellent courteous phone presence, and am not so much worried about someone who is impatient, but more so can I perform the tasks. I don't do well with auditory processing always. Just kind of concerned. I do tend to overthink things but that's just anxiety. I hope this job is more doable for me than the receptionist thing was. Another thing I am wondering about is if I find the tasks overwhelming or find I need more time or am not picking things up, do I just tell them? Or keep my head down try and do them the best I can. Doing the training thing this week, now that it's here, I am freaking out. I just learn differently than other people and at a different pace, that's all. And I am very visual as opposed to auditory. Hoping they can make accommodations for me should I need them.

I am sure they will not throw you to the wolves on the first days. You will probably work with a trainer or senior representative for a time to allow you to become comfortable. Take a deep breath, go outside, and take a walk. You're bracing yourself for a battle when you have no real idea what to expect. Don't put yourself into an anxiety attack.

Yea it's just that I haven't ever really had a real job before so am just totally clueless and uncertain what to expect. I don't have a reference point for what situations/settings I like or not, because I haven't tried anything much. I hope they're patient with me. Part of me thinks I'd be best in a situation where I'm working alone on my own, but I suppose answering phones is doable if I can learn how. I guess on the bright side I can get learning experience and a little understanding of what my skills are. My case worker told me to just constantly tell myself I can do this. I'll give it my best try.

As far as the beard I have it trimmed close so that shouldn't be a problem for them unless they're a bunch of Mormons or something.

I saw a young man working in Walmart that had more metal in his face than a '53 Buick.
Bwahahaha! That's funny! I want to grow a long goatee but I won't be able to do that until I'm rolling on my own. I like the Todd Hoffman look from Gold Rush.

Ties and Bow Ties in a call centre? Eh? You're dealing with people on the phone, not face to face, and even face to face doesn't warrant being dressed THAT formal IMO.

Ties and Bow Ties in a call centre? Eh? You're dealing with people on the phone, not face to face, and even face to face doesn't warrant being dressed THAT formal IMO.
I hate wearing ties period! It feels like I am being choked. I don't get the obsession with people coming to work dress professional. We are already basically corporate slaves. The least we could be is comfortable. At my bus company we are supposed to wear a tie. I don't and it means I won't get a bonus but I'll trade the bonus for comfort.

I'm with Rich on this. Why would they require you to dress a certain way just to help people over the phone. If I ran a call centre you could come dressed as a smurf for all I care, so long as you sound professional over the phone and help the client.

For some jobs it makes sense to have a dress code or uniform. It's a good idea to make police officers and supermarket staff eaisily identifiable, for example. There are other cases where certain clothes are worn for safety purposes, like in construction. But when it comes to office work I just don't get the point. It just seems like a petty social game to me, like the "cool kids" ostricising the nerds for not wearing the right brands.

Last edited:

Maybe there is a possibility that clients or customers can or are allowed to visit the call center?
If not, then it is really up to the HR or people in charge of how they run that operation.

Personally, I don't like to wear ties or really dress up. I'm all about comfort. Regarding your new job, you sound a lot like me. I am the consummate worrier. I even worry that I'm not worrying enough or worrying too much.

Anyway, try to relax and take it easy. They will most probably have someone train you. They know that you are new and will expect you to have lots of questions until you start learning how things work. Regarding your beard, I agree with what SingASong said. That way they kind of notice you and you get it over with and have an out.

Try to focus on your strengths. You can do this!

Old school mentality. Some corporate minds sincerely believed that if you look casual, you will be perceived as being casual about your job and also may perform your duties accordingly in a casual manner. Silly rationale of a bygone era...that often glorified "dog and pony shows".

The more uncomfortable I am in work, the more it can become a distraction.

New Threads

Top Bottom