• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work & clothing

Katleya

Sarcasm Lover
V.I.P Member
Very random, I know, but for some reasons a couple of questions have been nagging me, and I guess I won't be rid of them until I get input from you all (well, y'all, not all of the 11,000+ members, although that would make for a popular thread, but enough with the digressions already, sorry).

So, back to my initial topic:
Throughout my very varied career, I've had countless opportunities to wear regular clothes, but also several years working in a uniform. Both had their pros and cons:

The uniform was great because it relieved me from dreaded questions such as "what is appropriate to wear, what is too formal, what is too casual? I also tended to feel reassured by the fact that all of the staff was on equal footing, and we had those things were supervisors had a small accessory in a different color to signal their status, which helped in times of conflicts with customers. What I hated was that uniforms are not always exactly comfy, and sometimes you end up forced to wear something that makes your skin crawl, or makes you feel constrained, and I could provoke some actual meltdowns on occasions. Besides, knowing exactly what you're wearing, without needing to factor in the weather & a whole bunch of stuff nobody else ever thinks off was very helpful.
Oh, and I also liked that I knew I wouldn't be judged or rejected by my coworkers in a uniform on the basis of not having the latest trendy boots or whatever, since we were all wearing the exact same thing.

Plain clothes I liked mostly for the ability to choose cuts and fabrics that didn't mess with my aversions, but navigating dress code levels is extremely tricky and frustrating, and I also struggled with the fact that apparently among the odd tribe of Neurotypia, clothing is a means to express your individuality and sense of style. As a result, the items you pick are supposed to be a reflection of some untold message you want to convey. I'm not wearing dresses to be sexy, I just really, really hate the feeling and of pants, and the sound of pant legs rubbing against one another, okay? Figuring out what place does casual/business casual/business formal is another issue. Maybe it's my need to follow the rules only if they make sense, but I remember hating working in a jeans-only company, because what I liked was too formal, and then after a year in a super formal company, I caught myself suddenly longing to... wear jeans (and I don't even like to, but it was like knowing that I couldn't do it made me want to do it, I guess?). I also ended up wasting an hour I didn't have every single day trying to prepare my outfit for the next day, because of all the over-thinking & the need to gather the items. That called for too much focus.

So, do any of you have strong preferences on the topic? Tips on how to figure out the etiquette at work when there's nothing provided on that by your company?
Is it even something you consider as a criteria for possible jobs ("I love my freedom too much" vs. "I cannot be requested to choose clothes on my own").

For the business I work at, the boss said business casual - so I'm going with business casual. It really annoys me when my coworkers wear jeans, sneakers and cowboy boots yet still do better than me.

For the business I work at, the boss said business casual - so I'm going with business casual. It really annoys me when my coworkers wear jeans, sneakers and cowboy boots yet still do better than me.

Business casual: shirts but not buttoned up properly.

There's one extra button left when you come to do the neck.
My thoughts were :
I've done eight buttons. I'm not going to undo them and do them up again just so everything lines up : business casual

I detest uniforms.

I always felt like I was wearing a badge of ownership like a branded cow.

I where a suit sometimes, but with a t shirt, and often trainers.

i go by biblical advice- modesty! do what is right for you !!!
you have to live with you
Very random, I know, but for some reasons a couple of questions have been nagging me, and I guess I won't be rid of them until I get input from you all (well, y'all, not all of the 11,000+ members, although that would make for a popular thread, but enough with the digressions already, sorry).

So, back to my initial topic:
Throughout my very varied career, I've had countless opportunities to wear regular clothes, but also several years working in a uniform. Both had their pros and cons:

The uniform was great because it relieved me from dreaded questions such as "what is appropriate to wear, what is too formal, what is too casual? I also tended to feel reassured by the fact that all of the staff was on equal footing, and we had those things were supervisors had a small accessory in a different color to signal their status, which helped in times of conflicts with customers. What I hated was that uniforms are not always exactly comfy, and sometimes you end up forced to wear something that makes your skin crawl, or makes you feel constrained, and I could provoke some actual meltdowns on occasions. Besides, knowing exactly what you're wearing, without needing to factor in the weather & a whole bunch of stuff nobody else ever thinks off was very helpful.
Oh, and I also liked that I knew I wouldn't be judged or rejected by my coworkers in a uniform on the basis of not having the latest trendy boots or whatever, since we were all wearing the exact same thing.

Plain clothes I liked mostly for the ability to choose cuts and fabrics that didn't mess with my aversions, but navigating dress code levels is extremely tricky and frustrating, and I also struggled with the fact that apparently among the odd tribe of Neurotypia, clothing is a means to express your individuality and sense of style. As a result, the items you pick are supposed to be a reflection of some untold message you want to convey. I'm not wearing dresses to be sexy, I just really, really hate the feeling and of pants, and the sound of pant legs rubbing against one another, okay? Figuring out what place does casual/business casual/business formal is another issue. Maybe it's my need to follow the rules only if they make sense, but I remember hating working in a jeans-only company, because what I liked was too formal, and then after a year in a super formal company, I caught myself suddenly longing to... wear jeans (and I don't even like to, but it was like knowing that I couldn't do it made me want to do it, I guess?). I also ended up wasting an hour I didn't have every single day trying to prepare my outfit for the next day, because of all the over-thinking & the need to gather the items. That called for too much focus.

So, do any of you have strong preferences on the topic? Tips on how to figure out the etiquette at work when there's nothing provided on that by your company?
Is it even something you consider as a criteria for possible jobs ("I love my freedom too much" vs. "I cannot be requested to choose clothes on my own").

Comfy uniforms are great, I actually like uniforms more than casual, I just think it looks more professional. Then again, I am biased, everywhere I've worked and been educated I've had to wear a uniform, so I suppose I'm just used to it now, it would be weird if I didn't have to wear a uniform.

I actually quit a job when I was younger because the uniforms drove me out of my mind. I would wear my normal clothes and the "boss" would have a constant fit. I did a good job but he had issues over what he called my non-conformist rebellion... (thats me, but not by choice). I liked that job, but I couldn't wear the scratchy cardboard they were calling clothes. I wanted to burn them, they nearly stood up by themselves.

Thankfully where I work now they are very "allowing" with the dress code. It's sports related, so that helps.
I am upper mgmt, but I go to work everyday in cargo shorts and a loose fitting polo. I hate pants. It can be snowing and I will consider wearing shorts, and most times do.

This past weekend was Board of Directors meeting and semi annual Investors meeting. I had to address my superiors and give financial reports and icky crap that makes for a meeting. It was terrifying as usual, and I had to dress formal. I actually work for the Board of Directors and they are super nice to me, but the investors mostly don't know me very well, and I understand they expect me to look professional.

It always shocks people when I do this 2 times a year, but the whole time I am trying not to come unglued.
I admit its nice to look good, but geez, its physically uncomfortable.

When I wash my clothes, I use double fabric softener and 2 dryer sheets to make them as soft as possible.
At least my SPD/OCD smells good. : )

I liked my doctors coat for its uniformity, but that just made me worry about whether or not my shoes were okay for work. I also like being able to wear what I want, be it dresses or pants, but I detest being criticized for my looks when I don't dress up. ***** please, I'm fully aware I'm wearing jeans, sneakers and a hoody. That's how I convey I'm just not interested in talking to people today. I'm not dressing myself for your pleasure. Go away.

(rant over, haha)
I'm glad the hospitals I work at have a very clear dresscode, so I know what not to wear, and I just make sure to always wear my doctor's coat over that :p

I got my new uniform at work last week after waiting about a year for it. Yay! Our department has also been refurbished and new staff have started, it's all really great for a change. I'm so much happier.

I like to dress casually on my days off. I don't mind speaking to people in the passing as long as conversations are short if I don't know them.

Uniforms help me to speak more as that's what is expected of me, but I always try to be myself and following a script at work is helpful too for talking to others.

Hee hee... I got off on a tangent yesterday with a welcome post. I should have just said 'hello'.:oops: Anyhow, some of what I ALSO said:
I live in Canada and work in an acute care orthopedic setting in a large urban hospital. I have realized, belatedly, how being an Aspie has influenced my choice of career. And, I love wearing scrubs! I have a series of scrubs that I cycle through. They are soft, loose and comfy, and I don't ever have to figure out what to wear.
There is a strict dress code, and it focuses mainly on safety and preventing spread of disease. Hand hygiene is paramount (no painted, long or gel nails, no jewelry apart from a plain wedding band). No scented products are permitted. If I'm clean and presentable in my scrubs, I am following dress code. When I clip on my ID, it's like flipping a switch in my mind. I am in 'work mode', and able to focus on that entirely. No overlap between professional and personal life for me. I keep my work clothes and shoes separate from my regular wardrobe. That eases my anxiety over bringing home unwanted 'bugs', as I change out of work clothes immediately once home. I'll bet some other Aspies might agree with me, that I've got it pretty good with respect to work clothes!

Oh yes, I forgot about that, the switch to work mode and compartmentalization between work life and private life!

I always said putting on my uniform is like putting on my superhero suit, which I should now rephrase as "NT suit". The minute it's on, I perform as expected (well, I might still be at a loss with being friendly and chatty with colleagues, but it really helps with clients).
So I become very confused when I lose that clear sign of distinction between both worlds by being allowed to wear the same clothing in and outside of the office.

Also, the germ thing, you nailed it, Maiki. My uniformed days were in an airport, so while it's not the same hazards as in a hospital, it is a dirty environment, to the point most staff I knew took a shower the minute they got home.

Another thing that helped by having such compartments was that once the uniform was removed, my work day was over and stored away until the next day, so there was a lot less worrying about things that happened at work. Worries became a lot more pervasive when I returned to plain.

I didn't realize I attached so much power to the clothes on my back.

You are so right about that, Katleya! I am so much happier these days having a job that can be (mostly) compartmentalized. I was a community health educator for about a decade. While I loved the actual teaching part, I had to do all my prep at home, and work issues seemed to follow me into my home too. I felt such relief when I resigned from that job! Hadn't realized just how exhausted and stressed it had been making me. I could never fully escape my 'NT worker mode'. These days, my home is my tranquil, recharging place.:)

I like to dress casually on my days off. I don't mind speaking to people in the passing as long as conversations are short if I don't know them.
I do like to keep my job separate from my personal life and stay away from them on my days off. :D

What matter is your knowledge of your job. If it is combined with appropriate outfit and knowledge, that would be perfect.

I like that I get to leave my work clothes at work. The only difficulty is escaping the hospital unseen when I've switched to my everyday clothes :D

I like that I get to leave my work clothes at work. The only difficulty is escaping the hospital unseen when I've switched to my everyday clothes :D
Easy: paint your car like an ambulance and pretend to be something you're not. Don't bother pretending NT-ness, go for paramedic and leave unseen ;)
Bonus: you can give someone a ride if you wish to.

New Threads

Top Bottom