• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Words As Weapons, And Those That Wield Them

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
I am aware of the Aspie tendency to not notice how people use words to subtly influence in others, behaviours that are beneficial to them or change a set of circumstances via speech, this is understandable in the wider world but how is this not noticeable in more confined spaces where a grouping is limited in number.

The other thing is how this is even less noticeable to an Aspie when the Aspie is closer to that person, is it that familiarity that leads an Aspie to exclude looking as closely at a person if they show friendship or is it that we make the assumption that just because a person identifies with us they can be excused a few times along the way for behaviour we would automatically question in others.

Lastly, do you think as an Aspie it is easier to be swayed by somebody who, for want of a better word, seems to be a wordsmith, that is to say that if somebody is immediately able to make sense to an Aspie or claims to understand us then they would be more believable in what they say and by extension they are more persuasive if they choose to misdirect our thoughts or feelings.

I don't know that we're all incapable of seeing those things, I see them very clearly, and as a writer I wield a very effective wordy-weapon myself.

Perhaps because writing is my special interest I have a different view, but I see words, and their combination into speech, prose, poetry etc, as a formula and after many years of playing with words and listening to those of others, I have the ability to crunch those words, the ones of others, into a formula that helps me figure out the veiled intentions beneath what could be a quite innocuous comment.

Sometimes I can read too much into an innocent comment, but often I'm a better judge of character and tone than most people I know, NT or otherwise. I actually think it's more noticeable in a small group. The group dynamic is just a smaller version of the larger factions of the world, to me at least, and they work in much the same ways.

As to behaviour that we'd condemn in strangers, but possibly accept more understandingly from people we like, I think everyone does that to an extent, NTs and aspies alike. Anyone can be swayed if they immediately accept what people say as the truth. The trick is to find a balance between always doubting and always accepting.

I suppose it's one of those things that a lot of aspies can relate to, but a lot of us don't struggle with too.

I'm well versed in manipulation, even with people I know. I may pretend to turn a blind-eye to those I know, but I tend to watch everybody like a hawk and scrutinize anything. I only miss stuff when I'm overwhelmed and tired. Just about the only things I take at face value are things like a tipped over container and liquid everywhere is definitely a spilled cup. Who, how, and why it spilled is where the investigation starts. I would say that my autism makes it easier for me to coldly watch a person rather than clouds my judgment.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom