• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Word of the Day

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
I couldn't find if we have a thread like this. If so, please redirect.

Basically post a word and its origin! Bonus points if you actually use it in conversation :)

I will start:

This is one of my favourite words because it sounds nice and I like the origin.

Gregarious: Rather social, agreeable, tending to flock.

Origin: Grex----Latin for flock

Persiflage:
light and slightly contemptuous mockery or banter.

Mid 18th century
From French persifler 'to banter', based on French siffler 'to whistle'.

Loquacious:
Given to fluent or excessive talk. First used in the 1600s.

Etymology:
Latin, from loquī "to talk, speak" +
-āc-, denoting successful performance +
-ious which is an adjective suffix.

circumlocution:

circumlocution derives from the Latin circum-, meaning "around," and locutio, meaning "speech - so it literally means "roundabout speech."
Example: The speaker was criticized for his circumlocution.

Soliloquy

1610s, from Late Latin soliloquium "a talking to oneself," from Latin solus "alone" (see sole (adj.)) + loqui "to speak" (from PIE root *tolkw- "to speak"). Also used in translation of Latin "Liber Soliloquiorum," a treatise by Augustine, who is said to have coined the word, on analogy of Greek monologia (see monologue). Related: Soliloquent.

Cynical

1580s, with a capital -c-, "resembling Cynic philosophers," from cynic + -al (1). By 1660s (with a lower-case -c-) the meaning had shaded into the general one of "disposed to disbelieve or doubt the sincerity or value of social usages or personal character or motives and to express it by sarcasm and sneers, disparaging of the motives of others, captious, peevish." Related: Cynically.

Cynical expresses a perverse disposition to put an unfavorable interpretation upon conduct, or to exercise austerity under profession of a belief in the worthlessness of any offered form of enjoyment. Misanthropic expresses a hatred of mankind as a race. Pessimistic is primarily and generally a philosophical epithet, applying to those who hold that the tendency of things is only or on the whole toward evil. [Century Dictionary]

hylozoism

Definition of hylozoism

: a doctrine held especially by early Greek philosophers that all matter has life.

troglodyte (n.)

"cave-dweller," 1550s, from French troglodyte and directly from Latin troglodytae (plural), from Greek troglodytes "cave-dweller, cave-man" (in reference to tribes identified as living in various places by ancient writers; by Herodotus on the African coast of the Red Sea), literally "one who creeps into holes," from trogle "hole, mouse-hole" (from trogein "to gnaw, nibble, munch;" see trout) + dyein "go in, dive in" (see ecdysiast). Related: Troglodytic.

Obsequious:

Follow along, comply with, usually in a pejorative way such as fawning

----from Latin obsequi (from "ob" meaning after and "sequi" meaning to follow) .

I love this word.

We had a dog that was obsequious and would fawn and grovel to such an extent we wondered if the poor little guy had been abused before we had him. We did try to brave him up, but he remained obsequious.

sublimation

n.

1. the transition of a substance from a solid phase directly to the vapor state, such that it does not pass through the intermediate liquid phase [from late 14th c.]

2. the transformation of an impulse into something socially constructive, or in the case of a sexual impulse, something acceptable [late 20th c.]

3. elevation, exultation, a making sublime

from Latin, sublimatio

late 14c., in alchemy, "process of purifying by vaporizing then allowing to cool," from Medieval Latin sublimationem (nominative sublimatio) "refinement," literally "a lifting up, deliverance," noun of action from past participle stem of Latin sublimare "to raise, elevate," from sublimis "lofty, high, exalted; eminent, distinguished"

related to the verb

sublimate
1590s, "raise to a high place," back-formation from sublimation or else from Medieval Latin sublimatus, past participle of sublimare "to lift up." The word was used in English from 1560s as a past-participle adjective meaning "purified, refined by sublimation." Chemical/alchemical sense of "heat a solid into vapor and allow it to cool again" as a way of extracting a pure substance from dross is from c. 1600. Related: Sublimated; sublimating. As a noun from 1620s.

recondite
adj.
(of a subject or knowledge) little known; abstruse…
See more at obscure.
[origin] mid 17th cent. from Latin reconditus ‘hidden, put away’,
past participle of recondere, from re - back + condere ‘put together, secrete’.

My word of the day is probably the longest word in the Norwegian language:

Minoritetsladningsbærerdiffusjonskoeffisientmålingsapparat.

Say that fast three times.

And that is the name of an apparatus that measures the particle distance in a crystalline substance.

I can't say that fast once. In fact, I can't say that at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom