• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Wondering about joining the military...

inkfingers

21 year old artist
So, I've been thinking about joining the military. I thought about it when I was younger, but dismissed the idea because I thought I wouldn't be able to cope with the stress. Now I'm not sure. My dad was in the Navy, and I would like to serve in the Air force, but I read online that it would be difficult for an autistic person to get into the Air force.

I don't know. Its just an idea. I guess I'd go for it if all my other career plans failed. Does anyone have military experience, and if so, would you recommend it to another autistic person?

I was in the Army in the sixties and I hated it. I did not like living with a bunch of other men or being told when to go to bed, when to get up, when to go eat, when & how to do everything. But there are advantages. If you put in your time, you could get your school paid for. The military is a better career choice than it was back in my time.

One thing you should know is that there will be things that will challenge you physically and mentally, especially the Basic Training. Everyone has to go through it no matter what you choose to do, then you do the training for whatever Branch you choose. So do your research and get yourself into good shape and meet or exceed the requirements. There's also going to be a physical and medical history check during the Interview Process, and you may have to bring in a copy of your medical records if required.

As clg said you'll be required to do things at very specific times. For example up here during the Basic Training in Quebec you go to bed at 11 at night and wake up at around 5:00, 5:30 in the morning and go about your day, with a study period and a bit of free time near the end of the day.

During the Basic Training you'll likely be required to handle firearms and maintain the firearm you're given, if you are given one (mainly cleaning it and making sure it's in good shape). You're also probably going to be required to make your bed, and make your area look as neat as possible (making the bed a very specific way for example is another thing that's required you do up here, no clue if it's similar but I assume so). You'll probably need to make sure there's no loose threads on any of your clothing and that your boots are always clean and buff/shine them.

Racism and sexism is still alive and well even within the military and most don't really do much about it but for those that do, they look down upon it heavily all the same as it's seen as Un-American; same goes for the CAF here up North, it's seen as Un-Canadian, and the consequences are so severe that the person(s) involved will be let go from the military and will likely be barred from entering again.

There's a chance you may have to go out of country to do your work, but that chance is extremely small as you'll likely just be tasked with moving around in-country to the various bases there for months at a time.

Some hate it, some love it.

Last edited:
I don't know. Its just an idea. I guess I'd go for it if all my other career plans failed.

Not sure you'd succeed if a career serving was just an afterthought should all else fail.

It will take everything you've got, and then some.

I served, but wasn't diagnosed on spectrum at the time.

I think I've read on site; if memory serves,
A diagnosis of Autism would make your application to serve unsuccessful anyway.

The military employs and contracts civilians in various roles.
I don't have the details so you may have to search government sites for more information.

Last I knew, autism disqualified a person from joining the US military but you could get in on a waiver if you met certain requirements. There was no specific difference between the branches (Army, Navy, Air Force). A recruiter could likely answer your questions, but if you question the answers be sure and try a second recruiter as not everyone is always equally informed. Seeing if you could contact your nearest MEPS is another possibility (Military Entrance Processing Station).

It is difficult, especially in the beginning and very demanding physically and mentally. And you will have to deal with little to no privacy those first few months. You really should only try if it is something you really want to do. But once past that it usually becomes more like a typical job, at least as an enlisted person in the Air Force. I did 27 years and my son is currently in, we are both undiagnosed HFA.

It worked for me, as I was prepared physically/mentally by things I did prior and really believed in the mission/purpose and I liked the structure and predictability of many things. So I was willing to do whatever, whenever, which requires you must be flexible. I also had no problem with authority. :D There's good and bad aspects to each branch, but think the Air Force the best choice for an Aspie.

There's no bar to military service in the UK, but I knew it wasn't for me before I was diagnosed. I cannot be ordered about without being given a reason so I'd make a terrible serviceman. Don't expect unquestioning obedience from me, or from most autistics. PDA is a common thing amongst autistics and the more we learn about it, the less it seems to be about avoidance or pathology ;)

I remember one of your past posts was about planning for a career where you don't have to have a lot of social interaction, and where you can avoid meltdowns. This being the case, why has the military sprung to mind? It seems the absolute opposite of these things!

Full disclosure, I have never been in the military and never would. But from what I know, it's more than a job. It is absolutely a lifestyle with a culture that comes along with it. I don't know the ins and outs for where you live, but at least part of your time would be boarding in with other people. That's 24/7 social contact, right there.

Honestly, I would imagine the military is for very mentally tough people who find it easy to adapt to new and difficult situations. To me, that doesn't seem like a good career fit for an autistic person at all.

Perhaps if you're scouting around for a career, you could take one of those online tests that fits careers with your personality? They're not perfect, but sometimes they can give you areas you haven't thought of before or at least highlight to yourself where your skills and strengths lay.

Are you crazy? Do you really want to get shot up in the desert, North Korea or China so some politician can get kickbacks from Academi and gun manufacturers?

Then there's the ethical issue from essentially being a hired thug for the state.

I remember one of your past posts was about planning for a career where you don't have to have a lot of social interaction, and where you can avoid meltdowns. This being the case, why has the military sprung to mind? It seems the absolute opposite of these things!

Full disclosure, I have never been in the military and never would. But from what I know, it's more than a job. It is absolutely a lifestyle with a culture that comes along with it. I don't know the ins and outs for where you live, but at least part of your time would be boarding in with other people. That's 24/7 social contact, right there.

Honestly, I would imagine the military is for very mentally tough people who find it easy to adapt to new and difficult situations. To me, that doesn't seem like a good career fit for an autistic person at all.

Perhaps if you're scouting around for a career, you could take one of those online tests that fits careers with your personality? They're not perfect, but sometimes they can give you areas you haven't thought of before or at least highlight to yourself where your skills and strengths lay.

I think that the routine sounds appealing to me. Also, my dad was a Navy pilot, and has really cool stories, and I feel like serving in the military is one of the most honorable jobs possible.

I understand the routine element and why that would appeal, but there are a LOT of jobs out there with a strong routine. Honestly, most jobs you'll be doing the same thing day after day.

I feel like "honor" is a very loose concept. I wonder whether it will be enough when confronted with the reality of the job? Like, I've done stuff like go to a university to study a subject that I thought was impressive and prestigious, and those ideas lasted until about the time I walked through the doors and found it terrible and soul-destroying. So I generally think that abstract concepts of what people will think of you if you do a particular job aren't a good reason to do that job.

Are you crazy? Do you really want to get shot up in the desert, North Korea or China so some politician can get kickbacks from Academi and gun manufacturers?

Then there's the ethical issue from essentially being a hired thug for the state.

Somebody has to man or woman the battlements so Mr. Rogers can go the the Land of Make-Believe.

New Threads

Top Bottom