• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why I enjoy being a loner

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
A long walk in the park on your own... How many of you would do that? It often seems that people will only do things like that with a group of friends, otherwise they won't

I went for a walk in a local park today, on my own along with my camera... I'm a slowpoke with my camera, most people don't have the patience in my experience... There are some friends who I will go for a walk with, but it impedes my photography, maybe good, maybe bad...

Back to today, I took this stranger portrait of a guy hanging out along the river in the park, I like it... If I was with certain friends I would not have gotten the photo, I just know that, why I often choose to be a loner... I did have a short chat with this man, a good conversation...

The photo I took... Yes, my photography drives me that much...

Edworthy 01.jpg

I would go up north into the desolate wilderness for a weekend with nothing but me, a tent, some snacks and books, and my camera. One of those times is when I took my avatar photo. I can go explore at my own time, sit for hours watching sunset or waves or whatever, pondering things that only I understand or enjoy.

While I've often wanted someone to share times with, it's always backfired and this last time cost me thousands of dollars, I learned and I'm over it. Looking back, my most enjoyable and most productive times were when I was alone. The older I get the more I crave that again.

I prefer to hike alone, nothing more annoying than having to adjust your pace to match other peoples. I don't think that unusual though, I'd say about half of the people I see out walking are doing so alone.

Today I'm going on holiday alone, now that one people find odd!

I like to go mushroom foraging with my partner. I am with him for the journey up to the forest, but we forage in different parts of the forest.

I like to be alone, but in the company of a dog or two. I'm a social creature, but identify with dogs better.

Being alone just brings a certain peace of mind and allows you to let your thoughts wander in a way that isn't possible when surrounded by people. I'm definitely a natural hermit.

I've always used strategies to isolate myself often, i cant tell if this is realy related to autism since you know I didnt know about it.

My dream is to have a little house in the wilderness all alone aswell.

But at the same time isolating myself bring me back to a depressed state sometimes, so its complicated,I think I need a proper balance of social interractions and tranquility.

i love cycling, i couldn't imagine doing it in a group,
i just love going out on my own on my race bike, fighting the wind on my own,
when it comes to photography i'm on the same page

conversation, having to take other people into account just detracts from the activity and ruins it

I've always used strategies to isolate myself often, i cant tell if this is realy related to autism since you know I didnt know about it.

My dream is to have a little house in the wilderness all alone aswell.

But at the same time isolating myself bring me back to a depressed state sometimes, so its complicated,I think I need a proper balance of social interractions and tranquility.
Same here.
I've had some periods in the past where I've managed to be very social, but then I end up overdoing it and getting overwhelmed, causing me to crash and withdraw completely for a while.
It's been a vicious cycle, one I'm trying to break by being more careful.

I love walks on my own... I used to do it all the time as walking with someone else usually brings about stress - they want to go at a different pace or get annoyed when I want to stop and look at something (and then I have to explain what caught my attention...), or there's pressure to have conversation. But, since my social phobia became more pronounced, I haven't had the courage to go outside anywhere near as much as I used to.

That's not to say that sometimes it's nice to have a companion on a walk - but maybe one that is more structured and with purpose, to go see something specific together.

Either way, the shot you captured of the man is lovely. :)

I walk and run alone very often. I have a book with me and will walk and read, so I hardly consider myself alone when I have Livy telling me all about Hannibal Barca or Herodotus telling me about the 300 at Thermopylae.

But when I come home, that is when it's hard to be alone.

I've long been a loner. I would enjoy solo country walks, but unfortunately my mobility is impaired so that's not an option, but I am happiest either on my own or just with my wife. She's the only person I've ever met whom I feel I can be completely natural with.
It's not that I think I specifically want to be alone, it's just not having to keep up the act I have to with other people. It's just too draining.

A long walk in the park on your own... How many of you would do that? It often seems that people will only do things like that with a group of friends, otherwise they won't

My question is always the opposite:

Why corrupt the experience of hiking by adding some jerk to it, when you could just go on your own?

I never bring anyone with me when I head to some forest or other.

I went for a walk in a local park today, on my own along with my camera... I'm a slowpoke with my camera, most people don't have the patience in my experience... There are some friends who I will go for a walk with, but it impedes my photography, maybe good, maybe bad...

Back to today, I took this stranger portrait of a guy hanging out along the river in the park, I like it... If I was with certain friends I would not have gotten the photo, I just know that, why I often choose to be a loner... I did have a short chat with this man, a good conversation...

The photo I took... Yes, my photography drives me that much...

View attachment 48239
I have moments when I enjoy being with others but I think I mostly gravitate to being alone. I can understand and appreciate where you're coming from. And by the way, great photo!

Most of the time I enjoy being alone, but it kind of sucked having to go down to the store yesterday and buy medicine and stuff for my cold because there's no one else around to get them for me. Good thing I wasn't too sick to even get out of bed, let alone leave the apartment. But I'm always saying how people should stay home when they're sick so they don't spread their germs around, which makes me feel like a total hypocrite. I normally go out to buy groceries today, but I'm taking the day off. I think I have enough to last me a few more days, anyway.

Last edited:
I have always found activities on my own to be the most rewarding. The ASD mind needs to be left alone often. The lack of input from others and the freedom to make your own decisions about movement, places, and activities is like therapy. It helps you get yourself on the right track if life's issues are causing a dilemma. Internal peace relates to happiness. Photography is a perfect mind relaxing activity. It allows you to focus on details that might normally go unnoticed. You become re-acquainted with yourself and you enjoy your perceptions in exploration.

Back to the real world, home from work, I do enjoy spending time with other people but definitely have my limits... On that same walk on Sunday, as I approached my favourite bench in the park facing the river, there was a group of loud obnoxious people with three dogs, I think smoking marijuana... I stayed briefly before wandering off... It just seems like people rely entirely on large groups of friends when going out... I suppose that's the NT world, I just need some personal space sometimes...

New Threads

Top Bottom