• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why does some Don Bluth's movies of the nineties gets such a bad rap?

SalanaEiyungAisis

The nineties are an era in which many Don Bluth fans (and cartoon fans in general, for that matter) consider the worst times for Don Bluth. Many movies made in that time ( mainly, Thumbelina (1994), A Troll in Central Park (1994) and The Pebble and the Penguin (1995)) are said to be extremely awful, cheesy and badly-made.

I don't understand. :( Why? Why are those movies considered so bad? I think they are charming, have beautiful backgrounds and nice music. Especially The Pebble and The Penguin. Yes, it does have some plot holes (like, why is there a bannishment law to begin with?), the character named Hubbie could have been a little more shy when he sings to Marina, but dang it, those backgrounds! I've never seen anything more beautiful in its own way. And Tim Curry did such an awesome job as he played Drake! And the opening is very original with how they used all those instruments and sheet music animation to make us feel like we're entering a musical fantasy (like in Disney's Melody Time).

Bottom line is, why do you think these movies gets such a bad rap? While I admit A Troll in Central Park is my least favourite of these three, I think Dom Deluise does a cute perfomance of Stanley the Troll.

I would love to see what you think of these movies. Do you also have movie that you love, but everyone else hates?
pebble-penguin-disneyscreencaps.com-431.jpg

I really liked thumbelina as a kid I even had the doll of her,but maybe the reason why they may have their critics is due to some people maybe seeing them as trying imitate Disney movies of the time but in my opinion I see nothing wrong with them and I liked the animation in thumbelina.

I also loved the Thumbelina one, and enjoyed the book. I watched it back recently, excited to show my daughter, and I can definitely appreciate the negative opinions more. It really didn't seem impressive in any way.

I am also aware that I am no longer the target audience.

I also loved the Thumbelina one, and enjoyed the book. I watched it back recently, excited to show my daughter, and I can definitely appreciate the negative opinions more. It really didn't seem impressive in any way.

I am also aware that I am no longer the target audience.
When we grow old, we begin to see the flaws, huh? But I still love Jaquimo and the song ''Once, There Was the Sun''.

Yeah, I enjoy watching Thumbelina every now and then. I'd never even heard of it as a kid until my Grandma recorded it for me and my siblings among other animated films/shows from my childhood.
One of my favorite scenes from it was watching Thumbelina and Cornelius go for a flight together with the song "Let me be your wings" playing.

As for The Pebble and the Penguin, Tim Curry is ace as the villain Drake. I love his villain song especially.

Maybe people thought they didn't live up to his earlier work. You have The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go to Heaven, then you have the films you listed and they don't even begin to compare. I had Thumbelina on video and enjoyed it as a child but even then I thought it was some cheap Tom Thumb knock off. At least he did Anastasia which was a classic, even his direct to video sequel/spin off was okay.

While I wasn't a fan of Thumbelina and I never saw the other 2 you mentioned, I was OBSESSED with An American Tail, Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. I guess it didn't really seem like the 90's were a bad time for him from my point of view because even though my mentioned movies were from the 80's, I grew up watching them in the 90's during my elementary school years and they were all still extremely popular throughout that time. I loved Dom Deluise and his characters as well (R.I.P). Wasn't Anastasia pretty popular though? That was also from the 90's. I never saw it but I really liked some songs from the soundtrack.

While I wasn't a fan of Thumbelina and I never saw the other 2 you mentioned, I was OBSESSED with An American Tail, Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time. I guess it didn't really seem like the 90's were a bad time for him from my point of view because even though my mentioned movies were from the 80's, I grew up watching them in the 90's during my elementary school years and they were all still extremely popular throughout that time. I loved Dom Deluise and his characters as well (R.I.P). Wasn't Anastasia pretty popular though? That was also from the 90's. I never saw it but I really liked some songs from the soundtrack.
Anastasia is very wonderful! It has an almost semi-realistic style.

New Threads

Top Bottom