• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do people think David Cage games are good?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
They are hardly video games at all because the gameplay consists almost entirely of pressing X not to die and there is a bunch of moments where you literally do nothing but mundane chores that are boring.

The writing is also a load horse crap as the stories themselves have a buncha plotholes and cliches and other dumb stuff. Like for example the romance between Ethan and Madison and Lucas and Carla is totally forced and adds nothing to the plot.

The stories are also really pretentious cuz they try too hard to be deep and have dark themes but mess up really badly. The most obvious example is the abuse scene in DBH where Todd tries to kill Alice I would link to it here but it's against forum rules cuz it has swearing. Just look up "detroit become human controversy trailer" on Youtube. The video I'm referring to is on the PlayStation channel. The way it's handled in that scene really cliche and unuanced and insulting to people who have actually experienced that IRL. Not to mention all of the pseudo-intellectual slavery/civil rights analogies in DBH and the fact that David Cage himself is a massive narcissistic hack fraud who couldn't get into Hollywood so he decided to punish gamers for it. So yeah, he's the abominable dime store version of Kojima Hideo who is also a narcissist unlike Kojima and David unironically thinks that his stories are deep and have meaningful things to say despite actually being shallow schlock.

But Kojima is an genius of storytelling and game design and is basically a god of video games. David Cage is basically an teen fanfiction author who decided to make video games.

So in conclusion don't buy his games. They are bad.

Yeah, from what I've seen of "Detroit Becomes Human", the best video was just watching the Vegeta (Renegade For Life) episode on TeamFourStar's channel.
(Can't link here due to swearing, but hearing Vegeta's commentary always gets a giggle out of me).

Well its a story driven game.
Beyond 2 souls is one of my most intense gaming experience, i agree this is not a game per say but more like an interractive movie.
But to me it should still be considered a game because you have gameplay phases and you still have a control over that story.

A lots of old games before played in a similar way...can you consider a point and click as a game.

Now this type of game has its limits and sometimes the flaws of this type of games outweight the positive aspect.

I loved beyond 2 souls , the story broke my heart and i still remember a lot of it now.

And I didnt play heavy rain but it was praised aswell.

DBH seem to be a bad one yes...
Iv seen a lot of it.

First the story wants to be some anticipation but the context is realy not beliveable and it talks more about the last century than the next one.
In addition the structure of the story is bad because you follow characters that eventually fight and you play during it so it mixes choice and gameplay in the worst way.

And this is a political strory so the choices feels weird. If you want to spread a message it shouldnt be in this type of games. And the funniest thing is that David caged misstreated his staff himself so the message about exploitation is a bit dishonest.

The gameplay is not realy existing outside of dialogues and qte.
In beyond 2 souls you had a character driven strory that takes place in key moments of the life of the main character, previous choices impacted the rest of the game.
But for this type of games you need to care about the story in the first place to makes choices that fit the character you are shaping throughout the game, I did beyond 2 souls once and never tried other option because it didnt feel right for me to change the story I experienced.
And as the game is spread in a bigger time period the environnement changes a lot, what you do aswell. Ofc it repeats itself but it was still more diverse.

This type of games arent not bad per say, just like any other types of games, and all genre are not suited for everyone.

And in the end you can say for all games tgat this is just about pressing buttons...

There's no point in bashing others for what they like, and it definitely gets old.

Not to mention that so many gamers think that their thoughts on games are objective, but it's really SUBjective. Like this bit about Hideo Kojima. Plenty of people like him... but plenty DONT. To me, he makes an absolute tangled mess of a story in any game he does, and more cutscenes in one place than I've ever seen. Does that make him a bad designer though, or a bad writer? Nah. Just that I personally dont like his games much. But others do, and hey, more power to them, yeah?

If only more gamers could freaking understand this, we'd get less silly arguements out there.

no point in bashing others for what they like, and it definitely gets old.
Except I never bashed fans of these games. The closest thing I said to something like that is my statement telling people not to buy his games. That comment was directed towards people who never played any David Cage game before. My reasoning for saying that is because I just wanted to help them judge whether or not they wanted to play or not by offering my take.

Except I never bashed fans of these games. The closest thing I said to something like that is my statement telling people not to buy his games. That comment was directed towards people who never played any David Cage game before. My reasoning for saying that is because I just wanted to help them judge whether or not they wanted to play or not by offering my take.

Eh, I do know what you mean here. Though, based on that comment he made, it would seem that at least a few people might be taking what you said in that way (and not just your comments on games either, it's happened for certain others too). Not uncommon for many of us on the spectrum, for our statements to not quite go down with people the way we intend them to. I know I've sure had that happen, about 5 zillion times. Not always so good with the phrasing, no sir... Also not uncommon for plenty of us to misconstrue something someone said. Double the trouble, that.

My own statement though is moreso a universal one, not specifically directed at you. I've seen these arguements about a bazillion times in the community. It does get tiresome.

Because different people like different things. People are allowed to like things you don't.

Personally I like David Cage games, they're such a different experience other games, both in the storytelling approach and in the more emotional and meaningful themes, it's a great change of pace and a breath of fresh air.

Cage's games are aimed at adults, maybe in 10 years time you'll appreciate them more.

I do agree with you on David Cage's games. Fahrenheit was complete rubbish. The story becomes so detached from the start - which was quite cool back in the day! At the end it just goes utterly stupid, some glowing man and super powers and an unnecessary filler sex scene. Just tripe.

New Threads

Top Bottom