• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I go to these events?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I often attend local events, I love the observation and photography of them as well, and more often than not I go on my own

I wander, and watch, take a few photos, etc...

I went to a mid-winter outdoor event tonight that was very challenging for me! Weird lighting, Large crowds, one of those times where a crowd is so large I find it hard to even focus or find that infamous Cartier-Bresson "decisive moment", plus being completely dark

There was some excellent music, which I enjoyed, even while my photography was rather uninspired

At one point I encountered some random dancers, performing along with a musician, something I wasn't expecting, my first photographic instinct was to take photos, almost without thinking... Being dark, among other things, any photos I took of that performance were garbage, and that's all I could think of

Yet I thought... (dangerous thing) that I had just observed a beautiful thing, and all I could think of was... (fill in the blank) when maybe I should have just simply enjoyed it, or simply enjoyed some good music without thinking too much about my photography, because I do push myself too hard

End result of the evening, roughly 200 photos, 99.99% of them are garbage and crappy, and even now that's all I can think of, and feel miserable about it, and something in me knows that's the wrong way to think... And it really doesn't matter because I wasn't the official photographer...

And tomorrow night? I will likely go back, to beat my head against the wall again, perhaps because I want redemption, but if I go with my sister it won't be a photography night, which would mean any photos I took would be ones I took tonight, which is hardly anything useful

Last edited:
When I was heavily into photography I often felt that frustration, now I am not so into it and enjoy the things around me more.

Since I'm not lugging my DSLR around all the time anymore, I have missed some spectacular shots and regret it. My phone cannot do the things I've seen justice.

I'd say stick with your passion and don't give up, but try not to put so much pressure on yourself.

My sister won't go tonight, as much as I do love my family I'm a little relieved, I prefer wandering crowds on my own, especially when it comes to photography

I occasionally make such a decision, where I opt to leave my camera at home so I can actually enjoy a particular event. I know how distracting it can be to have a camera in my hands...where it rules over me no matter what might be going on.

Sometimes if you allow yourself to actually enjoy something without a camera, that in itself might inspire you to go back, this time with the camera. Sure you might miss out on a spontaneous shot, but you also might be in a better mood to seek out the next opportunity that comes your way.

In other words, don't try so hard. I recall in my photography class how my instructor emphasized the likelihood of getting one good picture in a hundred clicks of the shutter. And not to expect that magic moment each and every time you think you may be in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
There have been at least thirty or more occasions in my life that I regret not having a camera with me to capture them. They were perfect! Beautiful or unusual light, colour, symmetry, asymmetry, line, I could have used my finger to draw the connecting brushstrokes in the air.

I still think of them as something that should be shown in some way. But maybe those images could only be captured in my mind, never to see the light of day on paper or canvas.

There have been at least thirty or more occasions in my life that I regret not having a camera with me to capture them. They were perfect! Beautiful or unusual light, colour, symmetry, asymmetry, line, I could have used my finger to draw the connecting brushstrokes in the air.

Interesting. Perhaps not having that camera at the time is what allowed you to make such critical observations in the first place, apart from recalling them so many years later. In other words, no distractions. ;)

Just be glad it's not underwater photos you are taking (with a cheap camera to boot). I was lucky if 2 pictures out of a roll of 36 came out (those were the days before digital cameras). And you also have to contend with the fact that you and the subjects are both moving while trying to maintain a focal length on a fixed focus camera. That all made every shot that was actually in focus and in frame a celebration.

Attaching some from that era.

Attachments

• CLOWNFISH IN ANEMONE.jpg
    CLOWNFISH IN ANEMONE.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 0
  • LIONFISH.jpg
    LIONFISH.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bumblefish.jpg
    bumblefish.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Crinoid.jpg
    Crinoid.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One thing I was told as a budding photographer. You may get 1 good shot in 4 rolls of film, or none. So, expect 1 good shot in 200 at least. Digital is definitely cheaper! Time, place, moment & mood. A little bit of luck too. At the end of the day, it's the 'natural eye' of the photographer if you're seeking classical shots. Not staged social media moments *rolls eyes*.

Yup... Just back from another event... I probably have thousands of missed photos, including many today at an outdoor curling bonspiel, keeping busy this weekend... Perhaps a winning photo, literally, the winning team at the bonspiel... Yes, that is four grown men wearing unicorn onesies... :rolleyes:

Beltline Bonspiel 01.jpg

I don't do photography of any event I want to enjoy for that reason.

When I am on a long hike I'll do nature photography because there's no rush - and I enjoy it. Taking a photo of a flower or a landscape just gives me a chance to rest for a moment. The trail will still be there.

I don't do photography of any event I want to enjoy for that reason.

When I am on a long hike I'll do nature photography because there's no rush - and I enjoy it. Taking a photo of a flower or a landscape just gives me a chance to rest for a moment. The trail will still be there.

That's how we're all different, I love urban, but tonight?

You definitely wouldn't have liked it, I arrived to a sea of humanity, walking up the street through crowds shoulder to shoulder, or even tighter... After ten minutes I gave up and went back home, I wouldn't have gotten any photos with how crowded it was...

That chapter is now over and done with

New Threads

Top Bottom