• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do I always end up killing threads?

GrownupGirl

Tempermental Artist
I've been here for only a few months and already I see so many threads now that have my name as the last person who posted. I just seem to kill threads for no real reason. Why do so many other people stop being interested in the topic long before I do? It was like that on Wrong Planet, too. And real life, but that was mainly with NTs.

If my observations are correct, you haven't killed a single thread, you have commented on already dead threads.

I always check the dates of the thread and the last comment, and I don't comment if it's been a while.

But I've seen some of your comments and they were at least a few days after people had stopped responding, I think.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I can assure you that your comments are not contributing to the end of any threads.

I haven't checked, but Fino is probably right. Now if you start commenting on brand new posts and the same thing happens, I might start to wonder why. JK I'm sure you're not killing threads. For a while I was posting on threads that were very old and didn't realize it.

It's a bit like going to a graveyard and wondering why everyone around you seems to drop dead. :D;)

It's a bit like going to a graveyard and wondering why everyone around you seems to drop dead. :D;)
Can't stop myself - have to correct you. I've never seen anyone drop dead at a cemetery - they're usually already dead when they get there. :D:rose:

You're killing threads for no real reason? What's the murder weapon? Are you a serial killer?!

Just kidding, I know what you mean :) :p

Yep, like Fino says, it's probably just old threads you're commenting on that everyone has forgotten about or ignore - don't worry, I do it too and only realise after no one responds :)

Can't stop myself - have to correct you. I've never seen anyone drop dead at a cemetery - they're usually already dead when they get there. :D:rose:

For about five seconds, I thought you were actually correcting me and was totally confused LOL :rolleyes:

If it's a fairly recent thread that current members have already replied to, then they probably won't reply again. If it's an old thread, and the topic hasn't been discussed for a while, you are more likely to get more replies after posting, because the forum has new members who haven't responded to the thread.

I had the same exact feeling years ago on other forum and it made me leave them.
It didnt happen for me here, I guess this is mostly a matter of luck ^^"

You're not a thread killer @GrownupGirl . We all end up the last one on a thread sometimes. You've made some very worthwhile contributions to threads I've participated in :)

Hey there, GrownupGirl. It appears to me that the average post has a lifespan on here of about three days. During which it may get 15 to 25 comments in the thread. If a thread gets picked up and is featured it may have an active life for another week or so but that is pretty rare. When I joined the forum, I was commenting on old threads and felt like I was really adding to the conversation but didn’t get much additional conversation except for those who had already commented. I thought I was a thread-killer as well. In addition, I randomly would catch a thread as it was just about to drop off the active focus list that one sees on the main page. I would comment and that would be the last comment. Certainly all these threads are active and can be accessed upon initiating a search but it seem that just as the national (US) news cycle is about 36 hours maybe, the thread life is about the same. If you are like me you may desire active communication that is why sometimes I know that old threads may speak to my topic but I post anyway. Girl you just keep commenting and posting. You are a great participant and we are all glad you are in the forum. Thank you for your post. I would encourage anyone to comment to add clarity and accuracy to my comments here as they are guesses based on my experience and not based on any hard statistics. Cheers!

A thread isn't really dead unless it's closed to further replies.

People sometimes feel self conscious about replying or are impatient
with the pace, but that doesn't mean a thread is dead.

I see so many threads now that have my name as the last person who posted. I just seem to kill threads for no real reason. Why do so many other people stop being interested in the topic long before I do?

Don't see you as killing threads, although I've done that a few times without knowing. Sometimes old threads get revived when someone's interested, then other people post on. Other times people simply lose interest in them, or they get buried under newer posts. There's lots of interesting ideas here, and discussions that could be revived.

It likely has to do with people who come and post their questions, receive validation and help and lots of ideas. Then they move on and return once in awhile. Or not at all.

That's coincidence and nothing intentional. If you've been posting in threads that have already died out, they were likely dead before you got the last word.

The threads that have topics I'm actually interested in are already dead?

You could start new ones, if your interested in certain things then others might be too. People present with similar difficulties or perceptions or interests that are common to some of us.

I've been here for only a few months and already I see so many threads now that have my name as the last person who posted. I just seem to kill threads for no real reason. Why do so many other people stop being interested in the topic long before I do? It was like that on Wrong Planet, too. And real life, but that was mainly with NTs.
no im the black sheep of the forum

New Threads

Top Bottom