• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why Did the Dog Bite?

Darkkin

V.I.P Member
Walk up to a dog on the sidewalk. Reach a hand over its head to rub its ears and chomp. Teeth digging into the hand. First reaction, pull back. Strike out at the source of the pain. The dog. It's a bad dog, plain and simple, right?

That is the assumption, but there is much that can be learned from the situation of the 'bad' dog. Take a look at the context. Examine your own objectivity about the subject. A parent is likely to be beside themselves emotionally because their child is hurt. Many adults would be angry because the dog was not receptive nor appreciative to their overtures of attention.

But what about the dog? At any point did anyone stop and consider why the dog reacted like it did? The dog doesn't know the person. The person assumes the dog likes to be petted. The dog does not like being touched by strangers. Not an uncommon trait. Yet, the stranger's assumption of the dog's nature and their right to handle the dog is rarely considered. Why? Simply because the dog cannot communicate in a way that is effectively understood by most people. But the dog did communicate.

The person approached the dog. The dog did not stand up and approach the person. The dog did not stand period. The dog did not wag its tail or initiate contact of any kind. The person didn't listen or notice the signals. The dog decided to defend itself.

It is the same with people when they lash out. On the whole, people are quick to lash out and assign blame, but often there is enough fault on both sides. Should the dog have bitten, no. But should the stranger have touched the dog without a proper introduction? Also, no.

Context matters, whether it is written or IRL. If the dog bites and runs, impulse is to follow and punish the behaviour immediately. The dog's conditioning leads it to expect correction.

With people corrections can take any number of forms from verbal to physical. Often the verbal can be just as damaging if not more so because of the invisible scarring it leaves. Repeated exposure leaves one hypersensitive to criticism(s) and/or misconstrued context. Just as a dog or a child who has been struck will reflexively flinch back.

Just something to think about before following a dog back to its yard. What was the context surrounding the bite? The conflict medium (online vs. IRL). What were the observed patterns of behaviour prior to the bite incident?

Reasonable reaction is to let the dog retreat and decompress in a safe space. Just as an autisitc who has had a meteoric flame up and meltdown needs time to physically and mentally reset and deal with the shame and frustration of a meltdown.

With some people their immediate reaction is to 'correct' or fix the problem immediately. The dog is not allowed to retreat. Someone has a hold of its collar and it panics, lashing out anyway it can, only making the bitee more upset and emotional. The situation deteriorates beyond any form of workable conclusion. Worst case scenario. Dog is labelled unfit and dangerous. The dog is destroyed.

If the dog runs or a person vacated the field...seize the time if at all possible and look at the situation. Context can and does tell a very complex story. It can be the difference between making an unexpected friend and doing possibly irrepairable harm to both sides of the conflict.

This isn't a justification or an excuse for poor behaviour, just a plea to look beyond the obvious 'facts' and try to understand before doling out 'corrections'.

Last edited:
You can tell a lot about people in how they treat animals and how animals respond to them. You can also get a pretty good read on people by how their kids approach strangers and animals. Everyone on the forums have seen the pictures of my Rue Dog. He is a beautiful dog, but he is not a child friendly dog.

He never had much interaction with them and has always been leary of them. Knowing this we plan accordingly. If we know kids are going to be around, we are very clear with boundaries and consequences that could result if those boundaries are not respected. Basically, you do not go near the laundry room for any reason. That is a protected space for the dogs, not a play area.

We have never had a problem because of clear boundaries and reasonable expectations. Tell a kid the dog is scared of them, and the kid is pretty understanding about it. Apply to their reasoning and empathy and it is amazing how quickly they adapt to the rule.

In the arena of public sidewalks, a majority of people let you be. (We still have visual deteriants, just to make sure the message is abundantly clear.) Occasionally you have the kid that will query a parent, but a head shake is usually sufficent. Only on two occasions have I encountered a parent who demanded I let their child pet Rue. In both cases I flat out refused because I would not put my dog at risk for the entitlement of another. And in both of those cases, it was the parent, not the child who was the problem. As soon as I said no, the child respected the boundary. It was the parent who challenged my line.

But the kids who stop and ask, they give me hope for the upcoming generations. There are people doing it right, some do it better than others. And we will all make mistakes, but taking boundaries and context into account can help make us more conscious of ourselves and others.

With dogs I usually follow a two step process, before petting them. And I always want to meet/pet them because I love dogs.

1) Get the owners permission. They also may have some specific guidence.

2) Get the dogs permission. Strange as it may sound, dogs actually do communicate a lot and can give you signs if and when it is ok to enter their personnal space.

It may be harder for autistics to do the second thing because the communication (other then barking or other vocalizations) is in the form of body language, which some have difficulty interpreting. To those who would like to meet dogs, I would recommend doing some reading from the many sources online and in books on the subject. Thats how I did it.

Sometimes, if you are so inclined, only the second is possible. Such as coming on dog in or near their yard or a stray/lost dog.

If the dog is around their property and not lost I will not approach them and instead pass them by. If they approach me, I will just stop and let them check me out/sniff my ankles etc. I will still not try and pet, but may talk nicely to them. Something like 'Good Doggie, go home.' I don't want to encourage them to be out in the street or start following me down the road.

If I know the dog and owner and know he shouldn't be loose, I will try and collar/leash him and bring him home (Unless the dog is known agressive, or a dog I am uncomfortable with - in which case I will just contact the owner some way.)

If it is a strange dog I will usually also try a collar and leash capture to return to owner (if tagged) or the local rescue. But in that case you only have the dogs body language to interpret and some dogs will run if you try. Some are quite easy and friendly and will jump right in your car and ride with you happily. Others are too nervous. If they are clearly moving away it's not a good idea to try and grab them. If you can't capture you still can post on the internet. Most areas even just towns have lost dog sightings/notices and can yield surprisingly swift results. If at all possible take a picture of the dog to post. Even if the owner doesn't see it, a friend or neighbor may recognize it and the dog loving community is usually very quick to respond.

Bottom line is it is a skill that needs a good ammount of study and practical experience.

You can tell a lot about people in how they treat animals and how animals respond to them. You can also get a pretty good read on people by how their kids approach strangers and animals. Everyone on the forums have seen the pictures of my Rue Dog. He is a beautiful dog, but he is not a child friendly dog.

He never had much interaction with them and has always been leary of them. Knowing this we plan accordingly. If we know kids are going to be around, we are very clear with boundaries and consequences that could result if those boundaries are not respected. Basically, you do not go near the laundry room for any reason. That is a protected space for the dogs, not a play area.

We have never had a problem because of clear boundaries and reasonable expectations. Tell a kid the dog is scared of them, and the kid is pretty understanding about it. Apply to their reasoning and empathy and it is amazing how quickly they adapt to the rule.

In the arena of public sidewalks, a majority of people let you be. (We still have visual deteriants, just to make sure the message is abundantly clear.) Occasionally you have the kid that will query a parent, but a head shake is usually sufficent. Only on two occasions have I encountered a parent who demanded I let their child pet Rue. In both cases I flat out refused because I would not put my dog at risk for the entitlement of another. And in both of those cases, it was the parent, not the child who was the problem. As soon as I said no, the child respected the boundary. It was the parent who challenged my line.

But the kids who stop and ask, they give me hope for the upcoming generations. There are people doing it right, some do it better than others. And we will all make mistakes, but taking boundaries and context into account can help make us more conscious of ourselves and others.

I have found that cats and dogs react in a positive way if I speak softly to them and wait for them to approach me. It seems to always work.

I have found that cats and dogs react in a positive way if I speak softly to them and wait for them to approach me. It seems to always work.

It is simple respect, something we have a tendency to take for granted and minimize.

Most of people are guilty of assuming the dog (opposing party) in a conflict is guilty because we unconsciously reduce the opposition to the wrong or lesser side. Morality and blame are their own morasses, but in our desire to be 'right' we forget that our own actions are just as speaking as those of the allegorical dog.

Take a cue and try to impress the most honest judges. Kids, dogs, and cats. If the majority or all of these judges deem one worthy, you're good. I do well with all three, babies especially like to smile at me. I never have figured out why.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting this. As a professional dog trainer (and someone who often needs to explain this to people) and someone who has dogs that are not always friendly, I truly appreciate this post.

I am kind of aggressive when i play with dogs. I'm not afraid to lightly grab a dog's teeth/jaws in my hand and play wrestle the way two dogs would play. And no dog, other than that devil pomeranean has ever bit me other than playful nips.

Sounds like me with my Yorkies. Gummed and licked, but never bitten.

Meet "Dixie". You'd probably enjoy her company too, although she's not a dog. :cool:

The dog is poorly socialized and needs training.

This sounds grisly, but the culture where I come from, in the hills, if a dog bites someone and draws blood, it immediately gets put down. The temperament and training of any animal is the responsibility of the owner.

I was around unbroken horses, various livestock, and bully breed dogs (including wolf hybrids and a dingo) all my life, and the only animals that ever bit me were a few horses (because I held a treat wrong), and a little pomeranean that ripped my back open as a child. The pomeranean was on a short tie off, and the owner didn't warn me properly about its behavior. I ended up passing out from blood loss on the way to the hospital (20 miles away). It was put to sleep.

I am kind of aggressive when i play with dogs. I'm not afraid to lightly grab a dog's teeth/jaws in my hand and play wrestle the way two dogs would play. And no dog, other than that devil pomeranean has ever bit me other than playful nips.

Allegorical dog. The point being people as a whole, struggle with social interactions. Autistics in particular. It is not about the socialization of Allegory. It is about assumption, missed context, and basic respect of boundaries and clear communication.

The dog doesn't come near you or retreats, let Allegory go. Allegory, while not properly socialized is not bothering Assumption. Assumption assumes Allegory wants attention. Allegory does not.

Assumption is the trigger action, not Allegory, but the blame is placed on Allegory because Assumption is seen as the 'right' side, being the 'offended' party. Allegory as the 'aggressor' is minimized, the reasons for her reaction is discounted entirely.

The fault rests with Assumption and Assumption's invasion of Allegory's space. Assumption disrespected Allegory's boundary and blamed the consequences on Allegory when Assumption had no right to approach or touch Allegory. The fault is not in Allegory's character or training but in Assumption's behaviour.

As mean as it might seem, there are times when people deserve it when they get bit. Allegorically speaking.

Last edited:
I will always let animals sniff my hand before deciding to interact with me or not. I even let my own cats and dog sniff me when they come over. I feel like it always makes them at ease.

I also am a big fan of making very clear movements and actions to signify what's going on. For example, when I'm done brushing my cats I will place them down carefully and very deliberately to let them know they are free to go. My cats never run away from me even after they've been hissing and complaining seconds ago because they managed to get a mat in their fur.

Communication matters even when there's no verbal language involved.

Quite simply respect boundaries and do not shove into another's space and then be shocked when they react.

That and our furry friends are way too distracting...

Last edited:
All dogs are different. Some are extremely friendly around strangers and others get really scared and start acting aggressive as an attempt to avoid any conflict. This is why you shouldn’t walk up to any dog that you don’t know and try to pet them. If the dog walk up to you and sniffs you and act relaxed then that means the dog knows you aren’t a threat.

We're lucky with Dog V4. He will actually walk up to people, put his ears down and wag at them. Cheeky little animal knows that he'll either get a treat or attention. Other dogs, however, he doesn't like but has mellowed significantly since we've had him.

I’ve had a friend’s dog meet me for the first time and he literally rolled over on his back for a belly rub which shocked my friend as he had never done that with anyone before me. Dogs can tell if you are going to be nice to them or try to hurt them. And this is why you shouldn’t walk up to any strange dog and try to pet it and let it come to you and sniff you.

New Threads

Top Bottom