• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why crunchy food

Why do many autistic individuals love eating crunchy food?

I have really been craving crunchy food recently, especially wheat crisps (those in the UK will know) and topping my dishes (like jacket potato and different noodle dishes) with crispy fried onions,, and i am not finding my dinners are as satisfying without something crunchy on them. I don't know why I am craving crunchy food so much.

Outdated

V.I.P Member
I don't know if this has anything to do with autism or not but I always loved crunchy food. I always loved the hard boiled lollies, Humbugs, Sherbet Bombs, etc. Now I'm old all my teeth have splintered away but it never stopped me, the stumps still chew just fine.

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
I love rice crackers:

Japanese%20rice%20crackers.jpg

Ed

LuxLuca

Kermit the Frog
I haven't really given it a lot of thought but I'd say I like the crunch because it means I get to chew. Chewing is a repetitive motion not unlike stimming (chewing gum is stimming) and it gives total control over the eventual texture. I can make it as moist and mushy as I like with aid of a nice little glass of lemonade and thus control flavour.

Aside that it just gives this nice little buzz in my head to hear the crunch crunch..

And most crunchy things I find are salty and I'm a savoury kinda guy (entirely personal opinion lol).

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Crunchy is actually one of my food groups l have to have. I try to incorporate crunchy almost everyday now. Otherwise it will be sugary, or bubbly like seltzer water,, as a backup plan. Green apples, red onions, toasted anything, these are all terrific crunch items. Celery, water chestnuts, pickles, croutons. I saw a Japanese chef take panko and fry it in a pan, and use it as a crunchy topping.

Last edited:

Outdated

V.I.P Member
@Aspychata , you'd love my Mum's beer batter recipe.

2 parts plain flour and 1 part corn flour and half a can of beer.

The trick is to do all of your other prep first and get the oil heating up before you make the batter, you want to use it immediately, before the beer goes flat.

Storm Hess

Permanent Spaceman
Why do many autistic individuals love eating crunchy food?

I have really been craving crunchy food recently, especially wheat crisps (those in the UK will know) and topping my dishes (like jacket potato and different noodle dishes) with crispy fried onions,, and i am not finding my dinners are as satisfying without something crunchy on them. I don't know why I am craving crunchy food so much.
I love proprely cooked fried chicken! Here's the conundrum...I HATE (it makes me upset) the sound of people eating. If I have fried chicken (or eat anything at all, for that matter), I have to eat it by myself or wear my noise-cancelling headphones.

Judge

V.I.P Member
Love crunchy food. My teeth? Not so much at my age. No more peanut brittle or sunflower seeds.

Just not sure it has anything to do with autism though. Interesting question nevertheless.

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
I love proprely cooked fried chicken! Here's the conundrum...I HATE (it makes me upset) the sound of people eating. If I have fried chicken (or eat anything at all, for that matter), I have to eat it by myself or wear my noise-cancelling headphones.
Our contradictions are hilarious but they do exist and make sense to absolutely nobody.

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I enjoy many crunchy foods, but I have never noticed myself particularly enjoying the crunchiness of it.

velociraptor

V.I.P Member
I had increasingly bad teeth over the years. The situation came to a head in the first six months of 2020 when I first couldn't find a new dentist, and when I did, the pandemic shut them down. Nothing like having three abcessed teeth you can't have fixed. Half a year of pure agony. When July rolled around and dentists re-opened I had them pull the remaining teeth and give me falsies.

The first six months were a struggle, but it has been glorious ever since. I no longer have to worry about teeth shattering if I eat popcorn or a handful of peanuts. I can enjoy chips again or crunching on a carrot stick. It's wonderful to have this quality of life back where I can crunchity-crunch-crunch.

So that's why for me.

Last edited:

Outdated

V.I.P Member
....when I first couldn't find a new dentist....

I spent a decade in the bush and there was no dentist. Lost quite a few teeth during that time and nursed a couple of abcesses as well.

My jaw bone is throbbing
With clove oil I'm swabbing
From sleep it is robbing

My stomach feels hollowed
From clove oil I've swallowed
In pain I have wallowed

From work I'm abstaining
Concentration keeps waning
No point in complaining

Eventually pain ends
And calmness descends
But one comprehends
It’ll happen again

Au Naturel

Au Naturel
It isn't just autistic people. Grocery store aisles have large sections of crunchy of many types. There aren't enough autistic people to support such variety. Almost everyone likes crunchy.

New Threads

Top Bottom