• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are sales of men's clothes less affected by atypical weather than women's or children's?

Pink Jazz

According to this article:
High Fashion, High Stakes

Sales of men's clothes are generally less affected by atypical weather than women's or children's clothes. In fact, this was confirmed by JCPenney's first quarter 2018 results, where JCPenney actually saw an increase in sales in men's clothing but saw declines in sales for women's and children's clothing due to a cold March in much of the country.
So, why would men's clothing sales be less affected by atypical weather than women's or children's clothes?

Men's clothes are usually not seen as big of a deal because guys aren't supposed to care about their clothes or shopping for them, while women are supposed to have their whole lives revolve around what they wear (ugh), and mothers are concerned about their children being properly dressed for the weather. My own mother still has a problem with me going outside in the winter without a hat on, even if it's just from my apartment to her car.

for me clothes = body covering > beige/blue, wear till its broke

some 'styles' are timeless,
clothes are a means to an end, ie for me fashion is irrelevant
don't care about belonging to the fashion herd
except for shorts t-shirts and a heavy coat, my clothes are wearable year round

at the risk of stereotyping:
so guys buy clothes when they need to, ie relatively constant overall demand
many women buy based on the dictates of the fashion season calendar, ie peaks in purchasing

for me clothes = body covering > beige/blue, wear till its broke

some 'styles' are timeless,
clothes are a means to an end, ie for me fashion is irrelevant
don't care about belonging to the fashion herd
except for shorts t-shirts and a heavy coat, my clothes are wearable year round

at the risk of stereotyping:
so guys buy clothes when they need to, ie relatively constant overall demand
many women buy based on the dictates of the fashion season calendar, ie peaks in purchasing

Well, unless if it is some low-end brand, most mid-range and high-end brands do have seasonal collections for menswear, although generally not as many collections per year as their women's counterparts (most brands for example don't produce men's Resort or Pre-Fall collections). However, some will also have some core styles (typically the most popular styles or colors) that are available year-round.

I think the problems with men's fashion is that it has never recovered from the 60's & 70's men's advertisements. And whoever invented that stupid looking hand position bears at least half the blame. Perhaps in another 75-150 years...

ejbgG-1443477522-blog-18.jpg

557e3a94991a2.jpg

70s-men-fashion-211__700.jpg

I think most guys, including me, get a "uniform" that doesn't change much(Carhartt pants/shorts and polo shirts mainly for me). And we tend to wear the clothes 'til they are worn out. So our clothing purchases tend to be more on a schedule than seaonal/fashionable dependent.

I usually buy two new pairs of pants and shorts per year while still wearing the older ones until they are too worn or stained to be anything but grubby work clothes.

It is my experience that women buy most of the clothing for the men in their lives and for children. My husband has not purchased new clothing in decades because he wants me to do it for him. I dutifully shop online as needed and make one or two detested trips to malls and big box stores every year. My rule is that if he doesn't like what I bought, then he has to deal with returning it to the vendor. Works well for us.

I also occasionally buy men's clothing for myself - it is better made, usually with better fabric, tends to be classic in style and tailored compared with women's clothing. I also like natural waistlines and longer length in pants as I am tall and women's sizes almost never have long enough legs for me and have those uncomfortable hip hugger waistlines.

I also occasionally buy men's clothing for myself - it is better made, usually with better fabric, tends to be classic in style and tailored compared with women's clothing. I also like natural waistlines and longer length in pants as I am tall and women's sizes almost never have long enough legs for me and have those uncomfortable hip hugger waistlines.
FYI, most 1:6 scale femfigs [female action figures] fit better in Ken's clothes than in Barbie's... ;)

I do buy more dress up clothes, like a nice button down shirt, a pair of pants, but I wear them so seldomly that they last forever. Which means, if I care at all, they will be out of date before I ever wear them enough to get my money's worth. That is why, when buying dressier clothes, I stick to classics. I might buy 1 set per year, but not always.

I do like to buy nice short sleeved buttoned shirts to wear in summer, but usually buy 1 per season.

Now that I work in an office setting rather than a workshop, I still wear the same clothes, they just don't get dirty and stained much anymore.

Men are also less affected by cold than women and generally more affected by hot weather. A lot of my friends and myself just wear cargo shorts unless it drops below 50F, or we're outside in the cold all day.

I think the problems with men's fashion is that it has never recovered from the 60's & 70's men's advertisements. And whoever invented that stupid looking hand position bears at least half the blame. Perhaps in another 75-150 years...

View attachment 47341
My mother's into knitting and yesterday she asked if I wanted a sweater... :D

She was shaped like that (by women) so she would look right when she is dressed. (Scale clothing is too thick.)
um.. not necessarily. She was modeled after a novelty doll for men, named Bild-Lilli, that Matt and Ruth Handler (Mattel Founders) saw in Europe, in the early 1950s.

New Threads

Top Bottom