• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who has the most Aspergers

Clintos

who feels they have the most Aspergers on this site? And why?

I am trying to figure out if Aspergers is something on which I should be focusing on the most out of all my diagnoses.

Would a person on disability and is officially diagnosed with Aspergers be more of an Aspie then say a person with a successful job and is unofficially diagnosed?

Would a person that is an outcast, fit the profile of a person with Aspergers, more so then a social butterfly?

It's not that simple. We all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas.

I see a lot of people and some wanting money who have "Aspergers" on youtube and it just seems to me that they "appear" a lot more neurotypical then me. Are there different severities to Aspergers?

Are there different types of Aspergers?

Sorry for the questions, I was diagnosed in the last year and I am stilling learning about Aspergers?

Last edited:
The DSM5 used in the USA rates autism by levels of impairment. I can't say for sure what they use in Canada,but possibly a Canadian member can tell you more.

Asperger's Syndrome is considered by many to be a subset of the entire autism spectrum. There can be varied impairments in any level of autism,therefore the same would apply to Asperger's.

In the USA,anything less than a full autism diagnosis falls under a PDD-NOS which is a pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specific. Some were not considered aspies because they had cognitive delays during childhood or missed speech milestones like myself. That doesn't make me anymore autie/aspie than anyone else,that just makes me me.

I see, that helps Nitro. So some people in the Aspergers category could be on the high or low end of the spectrum like severity of anxieties for people that suffer from anxiety?

When professionals talk about Asperger's - or autism in general, they have a range of traits of the condition which make up a stereotype. I'm guessing you mean who on this forum fits into that stereotype the most.

I think finding that person who fits into the Asperger's diagnosis with all the stereotypies would be quite hard. The overwhelming vast majority of us have a selection of traits with a mix of our own personality traits as well.

I see a lot of people and some wanting money who have "Aspergers" on youtube and it just seems to me that they "appear" a lot more neurotypical then me. Are there different severities to Aspergers?

Thinking of Asperger's or autism with a high and low point is simply not a functional good way of thinking of it if you're talking about the amount of impairment between people. We all have areas which we struggle that other people don't have so much of a problem. For example, I also have a cousin who has Asperger's. He can hold down a job, live on his own mostly, move about on his own with relatively little problem. Me on the other hand, I can't work at the moment - I didn't have that support at school with what to do when I come of age because of prior knowledge of having the condition. I find it hard being on my own when going to places, and I also don't know if I have the life skills to live on my own at the moment. However, in a lot of ways I can communicate better than he can, I don't have too much of a problem with saying inappropriate remarks, he does. I have a higher tolerance for other people now that I'm older than he does. Who's the person more affected out of the two of us?

Are there different types of Aspergers?

Sorry for the questions, I was diagnosed in the last year and I am stilling learning about Aspergers?

I have seen this, too. I saw some You Tube stuff where they wanted money and had the answers. However, they were all "plugged in" with services as a kid and support and family and enough money, etc etc etc.

This is not to say they don't have Autism. It is just to say that being functional takes a lot and a lot of us don't come CLOSE to have that kind of good Fortune cradle to grave.

Maybe the question should be how functional we are. I know I hate the term HFA. Like I am even functioning at all. I know LFA doing way better than I am .

I have seen this, too. I saw some You Tube stuff where they wanted money and had the answers. However, they were all "plugged in" with services as a kid and support and family and enough money, etc etc etc.

This is not to say they don't have Autism. It is just to say that being functional takes a lot and a lot of us don't come CLOSE to have that kind of good Fortune cradle to grave.

Maybe the question should be how functional we are. I know I hate the term HFA. Like I am even functioning at all. I know LFA doing way better than I am .
This is exactly where the labeling system is a failure ;)

Not necessarily; it depends on how it effects you, and to what degree. My aunty knows someone with Asperger's who has no sense of humour, is very intense etc (I met him once when he came round to visit while my husband and I were staying with her); while I'm more easy-going and have a sense of humour, for example. It could be that someone has an obsession that's just right for a particular job, while someone else's obsessions are only suitable as hobbies; or one person's socal faux pas matter less in certain situations than in others, while somebody else is unable to function at all outside the home. I'm only generalising, of course, to put a point, but we're all different, so your question is impossible to answer.

I have been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist. And I do not know if this counts? or can only a psychologist diagnose me?

Is it worth my while to self test myself like I see so many people on this site do, in order to find out were I lie on the spectrum? so I might be able to pin point on where my weaknesses lie so I can work on them myself.

If I did self test myself do you think I should give the results to my psychiatrist? or does he not care? And he is only interested in treating my other conditions such as pshychosis,adhd,depression,anxiety,schizoaffective-bi polar type.

There are no psychologists in my area that specialize on Aspergers, what other health professionals can help with aspergers?

Wouldn't a person on the low end just have more problems with their symptoms then a person on the high end of the HFA spectrum? And that a person on the high end of the HFA would blend in more with a neurotypical.

Some people say there is 3 basic subtypes is true or is this just a non professional type of labeling?

the loner, the actor, the outcast.

Last edited:
I have been officially diagnosed by a psychiatrist. And I do not know if this counts? or can only a psychologist diagnose me?

Is it worth my while to self test myself like I see so many people on this site do, in order to find out were I lie on the spectrum? so I might be able to pin point on where my weaknesses lie so I can work on them myself.

If I did self test myself do you think I should give the results to my psychiatrist? or does he not care? And he is only interested in treating my other conditions such as pshychosis,adhd,depression,anxiety,schizoaffective-bi polar type.

There are no psychologists in my area that specialize on Aspergers, what other health professionals can help with aspergers?

Wouldn't a person on the low end just have more problems with their symptoms then a person on the high end of the HFA spectrum? And that a person on the high end of the HFA would blend in more with a neurotypical.

Some people say there is 3 basic subtypes is true or is this just a non professional type of labeling?

the loner, the actor, the outcast.
Hello Clintos, a fellow Canadian here. A psychiatrist's diagnosis is every bit as valid as a psychologist's; under our healthcare system, it is, perhaps, more authoritative...it is certainly more useful.

Even though I live in Toronto, with its extensive facilities, specific assistance for adult ASD is hard to come by; I imagine the situation is worse in less populated areas. I have had dealings with the mental healthcare system since I was a teenager (now 54); the person I benefited from the most, by far, was a therapist (MSW degree) who was well-versed in CBT and acceptance work. I only had enough money for ten sessions, which strangely enough, might have been why they were so effective: we both knew that we had only a little time to do a lot, so we got busy!

Doing the online tests were an entry into my discovering more about ASD, so by all means, dive in. But they capture a sample of me at that moment only. We all have good days and bad days, and there is variation within each day.

i am LFA,and was severely classic autistic until my late twenties, i am now moderate classic autistic and still have some behavior and functioning throwbacks to being severely autistic like needing significant physical and prompting support with personal care [ie putting a nappy on,doing a strip wash], having acute functioning needs,needing constant monitoring and smearing.

however,i am probably more able social wise to go to a social club [i go to one for people with intellectual disability] than some aspies because i am in my own world with no inhibitions and when i come out of my world i just repeat my echoed phrase 'hi mate whats your name' to people and make friends like that.

so i dont think you can compare anyone on this site as we are all very different,in fact if you think about it every person is a different variation of autism there is no one way to be autistic which is why its a spectrum.
perhaps lorna wing did f**k up when she made out aspies to be very able as that puts a lot of pressure on you guys, aspies can struggle with learning independant living and need support with that but arent low functioning as such as its more about a lack of learning than a inability to function,but most dont get this education and there isnt the classes around to teach it,there is for people with added intellectual disability who are under 25 however [UK].

New Threads

Top Bottom