• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who has less emotions? NT or Auties?

OkRad

μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην
V.I.P Member
It bothers me when NTs say we do not show emotion. I have been watching NT faces a lot lately since I have been rendered deaf by having to use such massive hearing protection and music on top of it to survive the gym.

I notice THEY are the ones who use about two expressions.
1. That god awful, sh** eating smile they NEVER TAKE OFF
2. Nothing. Not even an upraised eye brow.

How can they say we have no emotion??? The auties and Aspies I know at a group I go to have MANY emotions, very slight indeed, but there. A tiny smile may show or a twinkle of the eye or a movement of the lips.

None of this is on NT faces.

I am thinking what they say about us is WRONG. It is not us who cannot read emotions. They think we have none because THEY are the ones who cannot read these slight and subtle and beautiful emotions we emit.

I see it all the time. NTs are flat, boring and do NOT show anymore than two or three emotions. Over and over I see this. Of course they think we show none because they are blind to us in every way.

You see if I am right. Go to where there are auties and Aspies and watch how tiny little movements show you clues. Now go to NTs if you can stand it and see......nothing. Dead.

No wonder why want to kill us. We are alive, beautiful, breathing mystery every minute and they are already half dead, predictable, and putting their narrow existence on US.

Last edited:
One rule that I've always followed that applies to what you are saying is "never trust someone who is always smiling." No one can be happy all of the time. Those people always have a god awful strained grin that looks more like cringing than smiling. My dad calls the expression "The Joker Smile".

I don't have the negative experiences some of you seem to have with neurotypical people. I find it impossible to make generalizations about them because they're the majority of mankind and vastly differ interpersonally. There's so many different personalities out there, whether NT or ASD.

I know stony-faced people, I know people who wear their heart on their sleeves and/or faces. Both on and off the spectrum. Absolutely scumbags and wonderful people, on and off the spectrum as well. I know more terrible NT people, for sure, but that's simply because there's more of them.

I'm one of those people with a semi-permanent smile. It's because I have a cheerful disposition, but also because I tend to see the humour in many situations and because humour is my #1 defense mechanism. Even when I'm crying I'll find some way to joke about it.
And I smile because I'm friendly and I've learned that people are more likely to have a friendly disposition towards me if I smile.

It is called stereotyping, because we can be a very much danger of doing exactly what we accuse NT's doing and I have heard myself doing exactly that!

I find that it is the most confident person who desplays a very narcissist personality. Confident people or those who are able to appear confident, just hate having to be surrounded by those who are not confident ie meaning that they have to "come down" from their "status" and show fellow feeling and quite frankly, they cannot be bothered.

Is there not any chance, by the way, that you can do your exercises at home? I have an exercise bike at home and listen to my favourite music.

When no one has been challenged, then they do not have to think about it, but we aspies are always challenged and thus, we have to think about it.

I do note however, that it is true, many NT's do not seem to show much emotion at all. I can be listening to a really interesting talk and nodding away with passion and avid attention and look around me and see bland faces!

One rule that I've always followed that applies to what you are saying is "never trust someone who is always smiling." No one can be happy all of the time. Those people always have a god awful strained grin that looks more like cringing than smiling. My dad calls the expression "The Joker Smile".

I guess I should not be trusted them. Actually what you have to look out for is if the smile reaches the eyes or not. A false smile never reaches the eyes, but a real smile does and causes the eyes to sparkle.

I guess I should not be trusted them. Actually what you have to look out for is if the smile reaches the eyes or not. A false smile never reaches the eyes, but a real smile does and causes the eyes to sparkle.
Yeah, that's what I had meant to say. I was in a bit of a bad mood when I posted this so I wasn't thinking clearly.

I don't have the negative experiences some of you seem to have with neurotypical people. I find it impossible to make generalizations about them because they're the majority of mankind and vastly differ interpersonally. There's so many different personalities out there, whether NT or ASD.

I know stony-faced people, I know people who wear their heart on their sleeves and/or faces. Both on and off the spectrum. Absolutely scumbags and wonderful people, on and off the spectrum as well. I know more terrible NT people, for sure, but that's simply because there's more of them.

I'm one of those people with a semi-permanent smile. It's because I have a cheerful disposition, but also because I tend to see the humour in many situations and because humour is my #1 defense mechanism. Even when I'm crying I'll find some way to joke about it.
And I smile because I'm friendly and I've learned that people are more likely to have a friendly disposition towards me if I smile.

I agreed with your post, but I just wanted to clarify that I agree with everything except the last paragraph. I have what is commonly referred to as "resting b***h face" :tearsofjoy:

Yes, I do agree there are many good NTs. I am biased against them, though, because while there are good NTs they still are the ones who manipulating auties.

Yes, I, too, was cheerful and happy at one point. I remember that feeling if I squint and strain. But Life in an NT world beat that out of me literally and figuratively. If you are not lucky in life as an NT, it is bad enough. But not having Fate on your side as an autie? Our mortality rates and suicide rates are far higher than the NTs who order our lives.

I would not be so bitter if the NTs had just let us be. But, before we are even old enough to know what they are doing, they mold us and order our lives and demand we live like them.

Then, when we are older and want ourselves back, it is too late. It does not matter how many isolated cases here and there of autie success, we lose something when they form us. And, for those of us who see that we have lost something critical, there is no way to go back.

And the time we WOULD have filled and the things we WOULD have done as an autie would have been so different from anything we can retroactively conjure because we are not on a "normal" path. Our minds work differently. I go go back mentally and try to wonder, "What would I have thought, studied, how would that have unfolded?" and I cannot predict or understand because my mind back then, untampered, would have done something which I know would have been good but which I cannot conceive.

I knew I was ruined before I was DXed but until I was DXed I never knew just how ruined.

There is no going back and the reason for that is the world is an NT world. If I were put in chains by a certain group of people, even if they had set me free, I would always be afraid of them . Those who gave the sad eyes like, "It wasn't me" Well, so? Did you stop them? Did you stand up for me? Do you even know my plight? No.

HAHAHAHAHA! OMG. I have "Resting What the ******dy ******he*** is wrong with that poor sap?!!" face!!! This was funny. Thank you for posting.

We are very similar. I rather smile and laugh that cry and have a sour face!

I am known to be a smiler and occasionally a comment passes my way: keep smiling.

I am sure I have a cheerful disposition too, but when confronted with NT cheerful disposition, I suddenly reconsider and suppose I do not have a cheerful disposition or perhaps my version is just different.

i only show extreme emotion,usually when im feeling really happy or mad,i am otherwise very flat and monotone.
i cant understand emotions in other people,i have to relie on what they say to know how they are.

@OkRad I hope my reply did not come off as lecturing, we all have our own experiences in life and I have no desire to invalidate your feelings, just because I don't share them :)

I have had to learn to understand my own emotions, for many years there was the default (happy) and the rest (not happy, but a murky indiscernible pit of doom). I'm still struggling to understand how I feel when I'm not happy, but I've learned to make a distinction between sad, angry, bored and anxious. I think that's different from NT feelings. In that respect I would say there's a difference, not so much more or less emotions but more trouble understanding them. At least, for me personally.

The amount of emotions NTs show with facial expressions varies hugely from person to person. The amount of emotions Aspies show with facial expressions varies hugely from person to person. Both NTs and Aspies are people, not walking stereotypes, and generalising about something like this is stupid, pointless, and invariably inaccurate.

Personally I am one of those aspies with very little facial expression, aside from my unfortunate habit of scowling while concentrating, and carefully adopted Polite Smile for unfamiliar social situations. My NT sister is one of those hugely expressive people who displays her every shift in emotion clearly on her face, and extremely strong emotions in general. The reasons NTs and Aspies have difficultly understanding each other's emotions is not because one group experiences any less or any more than the other, but simply because we process and understand our thoughts and feelings differently.

The amount of emotions NTs show with facial expressions varies hugely from person to person. The amount of emotions Aspies show with facial expressions varies hugely from person to person. Both NTs and Aspies are people, not walking stereotypes, and generalising about something like this is stupid, pointless, and invariably inaccurate.

Personally I am one of those aspies with very little facial expression, aside from my unfortunate habit of scowling while concentrating, and carefully adopted Polite Smile for unfamiliar social situations. My NT sister is one of those hugely expressive people who displays her every shift in emotion clearly on her face, and extremely strong emotions in general. The reasons NTs and Aspies have difficultly understanding each other's emotions is not because one group experiences any less or any more than the other, but simply because we process and understand our thoughts and feelings differently.

The last part here is the key : "The reasons NTs and Aspies have difficultly understanding each other's emotions...."

This is exactly what I wish NTs could understand. It goes both ways. All I hear is WE don't understand. THey act like and think that they understand us. From what I heard, Autism Speaks did not have a single board member with autism till that got out and then placed a mere two. That is what I mean. How can NTs study us??

Yes, we don't understand them, but they don't understand us, either and you nailed that there. :)

The last part here is the key : "The reasons NTs and Aspies have difficultly understanding each other's emotions...."

This is exactly what I wish NTs could understand. It goes both ways. All I hear is WE don't understand. THey act like and think that they understand us. From what I heard, Autism Speaks did not have a single board member with autism till that got out and then placed a mere two. That is what I mean. How can NTs study us??

Yes, we don't understand them, but they don't understand us, either and you nailed that there. :)
I said that it was difficult, not impossible. I don't know anything about Autism Speaks, but it is perfectly possible for NTs to learn to understand us and for us to learn to understand them. Learning to understand people who think and feel differently from yourself is a part f life, it is just often more difficult for people on the spectrum due to the nature of autism. And plenty of NTs know that the misunderstanding can go both ways :emojiconfused: I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make, but generalisations and stereotypes don't help anyone.

I've always loved this video. The amount of times I get asked "what's wrong?" or get told that I should cheer up is ridiculous. IT'S JUST MY FACE.
I've been known to wear the "other" one :D

I've always loved this video. The amount of times I get asked "what's wrong?" or get told that I should cheer up is ridiculous. IT'S JUST MY FACE.
I relate :tearsofjoy: Pretty sure that my Bitchy Resting Face is just as much to blame for my social difficulties as Aspie-related-issues (and my general anti-socialness :expressionless:)

New Threads

Top Bottom