• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else keeps computer muted?

Pats

V.I.P Member
Sometimes I turn the volume up to hear something and forget to turn it back down or off. Then I'll switch over to a game and the music starts and it's like I can't hit the mute button fast enough. It's not until later in the day that I'm ready to turn the tv or music on.

Me. Always. On my work PC, home laptop, cell phone, iPad, and anything else that passes through my hands. If I want to watch a video, I'll turn the volume up and/or put on headphones.

I found Siri to be very irritating on the iPad. I accidentally pressed the button wrong, Siri would beep and ask what I want, even though I have all sound turned off (and while I'm in important meetings). So, I made a dummy jack that I keep plugged into my iPad. It always thinks there are headphones plugged in and never activates the speaker. I later figured out how to completely disable Siri, but I always keep the dummy jack plugged in anyway.

I also unplug our toaster the second it finishes and starts beeping to tell me it's done. And I stop the microwave when it has one second left. I guess I really don't like things that beep. To me, they're bleeping annoying.

I also unplug our toaster the second it finishes and starts beeping to tell me it's done. And I stop the microwave when it has one second left. I guess I really don't like things that beep. To me, they're bleeping annoying.

Yeah. Beeping devices drive me nuts. Have to run to turn them off.

But then that's how they were engineered, given the inherent fire hazards of appliances.

Obnoxious noise by design. o_O

Last edited:
Yes. That is where I leave it. I will only turn on sound to hear specific videos, movies, etc.

Me. Always. On my work PC, home laptop, cell phone, iPad, and anything else that passes through my hands. If I want to watch a video, I'll turn the volume up and/or put on headphones.

I found Siri to be very irritating on the iPad. I accidentally pressed the button wrong, Siri would beep and ask what I want, even though I have all sound turned off (and while I'm in important meetings). So, I made a dummy jack that I keep plugged into my iPad. It always thinks there are headphones plugged in and never activates the speaker. I later figured out how to completely disable Siri, but I always keep the dummy jack plugged in anyway.

Oh yes, the beeping. I, too, will turn the microwave off before it starts beeping.

Yep. Muted. And my mobile phone. So much so that even if its not in do not disturb' mode it somehow doesn't ring??

Only time I'll ever really mute my PC is if I have a hard time hearing if someone's trying to talk to me/call my name while I have my headphones on, otherwise, volume on my Speakers are at half way and volume on my PC's at 8 (Set up is Headphones > Speakers > PC via 10 - 12 ft 3.5mm cable)

or if i'm trying to do something else and I need some quiet so I can think properly :p

Yeah. Beeping devices drive me nuts. Have to run to turn them off.

But then that's how they were engineered, given the inherent fire hazards of appliances.

Obnoxious noise by design. o_O
And where is the machine that goes
"Piiinnggg!!!"?:eek:o_O:D:):cool:

Only my work computers. My personal one is set up to talk to me (a bit like Siri) and respond to commands, so I leave the sound on. My main laptop is mostly for music, so I have a really good set of drummers headphones plugged into that one permanently.

Sound is usually always on my computer unless I decide to turn the sound off if I'm watching something on TV.

When I go through my news routines every day, I tend to mute sound unless I intentionally want to hear a video clip. Video clips are rarely better than the written story - most film footage is taken after the incident so there is little value in them. Sound can be annoying. I agree with everyone who turns off their microwave at the last second and rushes to turn off alarms and timers. I use my phone to time cooking, laundry, and TV start time warnings. I am somewhat grateful for the internal clock. I usually catch the alarm 1-2 minutes before it dings. Even my unconscious brain is counting behind my back. It's no wonder I can't completely relax.

I usually keep it muted, too. And I keep the TV off as well. Don't like lots of sound in the house. Music in the background is ok, but I usually listen to it on headphones instead.

Haha I do this too!
Mute everything!! It's a skill to get the microwave to stop at one second :p and I pop the toaster before it goes off and gently hold the lever to stop the beep.
My computer is always on mute. Can't stand websites with auto music :eek:

Phone is mute except for ring which is low. Might as well mute that too since I never answer it!

I keep my devices muted unless I am listening to music. Otherwise the noise gets to me. My tablet makes a little popping like sound every time I hit a letter, drives me up the wall.

I usually have Spotify on so the volume on. I'm jumping as hell when I hear an unexpected sound. I HATE autoplay videos for news stories or even worse, ads.

New Threads

Top Bottom