• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else is into painting fine art?

Amy Stone

V.I.P Member
Just wondering if anyone else out there enjoys painting and if you are interested in chatting about painting and mediums! Attached are a couple of my pieces and a little about my art. Share yours and tell what you enjoy painting and if you are a professional or hobbyist and anything else!

I do art as a hobby and side gig for a few extra bucks (although most of that money is reinvested into art supplies!) I currently do landscapes and realistic animal portraits and I did a couple people portraits. I work with oils, chalk pastels, and occasionally watercolor (although I am not very good at watercolor). My main medium is pastels. I am trying to learn oil and am getting better at using a paintbrush. I tend to choke up on the brush like I do my pencils. I am actually not very good at drawing and tend to create an outline of my subject with main details located then I color it in like a giant coloring book. The "coloring" is what I am good at. So I always work from photographs. I tried plein air but I find I get information overload because I see every...single...detail. I need the photograph to box me in and allow me to focus. I love all art styles, especially impressionistic...but my brain doesn't see images like that. I can only see in hyper detail. I am trying to cut back on detail a bit with my landscapes, but not animal portraits as most clients love the hyperrealism.

What about you?

Last edited:
I'd say your very good. Always liked landscape art myself. The best ones to me is paintings of a road or dirt path leading away into a forest or grassland and continuing beyond them. Where the horizon and sky meet. With the clouds floating above. A powerful work those are.
I'm a novice in art skill. Only working when the mood seizes me. But, I do enjoy looking at great paintings.

Just wondering if anyone else out there enjoys painting and if you are interested in chatting about painting and mediums! Attached are a couple of my pieces and a little about my art. Share yours and tell what you enjoy painting and if you are a professional or hobbyist and anything else!

I do art as a hobby and side gig for a few extra bucks (although most of that money is reinvested into art supplies!) I currently do landscapes and realistic animal portraits and I did a couple people portraits. I work with oils, chalk pastels, and occasionally watercolor (although I am not very good at watercolor). My main medium is pastels. I am trying to learn oil and am getting better at using a paintbrush. I tend to choke up on the brush like I do my pencils. I am actually not very good at drawing and tend to create an outline of my subject with main details located then I color it in like a giant coloring book. The "coloring" is what I am good at. So I always work from photographs. I tried plein air but I find I get information overload because I see every...single...detail. I need the photograph to box me in and allow me to focus. I love all art styles, especially impressionistic...but my brain doesn't see images like that. I can only see in hyper detail. I am trying to cut back on detail a bit with my landscapes, but not animal portraits as most clients love the hyperrealism.

What about you?!
View attachment 68181 View attachment 68182 View attachment 68183 View attachment 68185
They're excellent.
I haven't painted for a long time.
I love it, I love mixing colours, painting shiny things, should get back into it really. It's just the thought of buying all the media, I love them all for different reasons.
There are some of mine kicking around on here somewhere.

@Wolfsage You should post some of your art!

It's just the thought of buying all the media, I love them all for different reasons.

HAHA yes that is the part I love most! I love trying new art supplies. I really wish I could afford something like SketchBox to test out all kinds of new art supplies. It's like candy...I want to try all the flavors

@Wolfsage You should post some of your art!

I will if the mood seizes me.

HAHA yes that is the part I love most! I love trying new art supplies. I really wish I could afford something like SketchBox to test out all kinds of new art supplies. It's like candy...I want to try all the flavors

@Amy Stone My tool for the visual arts is my camera, more documentary in approach, not my job, but some people tell me I'm okay... :rolleyes: There is a link to my Instagram in my signature

Your art is really well done. Do you trace your images before you paint them or do you draw them from the photo by eye?

I'm happy to talk to a fellow artist about styles and art mediums though! I do know the method you're referencing, I have seen YouTube videos of people painting in oils - filling in areas as if it was a colouring book. It does look interesting and definitely lends itself to easily blendable mediums, but my brain doesn't work that way. I need to see the whole image, so I work from a loose overall base shape adding colour depth and sharpening details as I go along. Though like you, I can't seem to do impressionist styles, no matter how much I admire them! I need details and to make it look as realistic as I can! :confused:

I'm sure you've seen some of my other threads here, I mainly use graphite, but I do paint and have used oils, acrylics and gouache (but hate watercolour).
Below I've included my acrylic painting of my sibling's cat, which was combined from a number of references and done with acrylics. I made up some of the jellyfish once I got the initial one or two painted. They were pretty fun! :)

_Cat2sm.jpg

your paintings are amazing! :D I like to draw too, it's my fav hobby, I like to draw digitally the most, but last week I did a painting of some Tasmanian devils! (they are my favorite animal :p)

New Threads

Top Bottom