• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who are you more afraid of: middle schoolers or high schoolers?

selena

I went out last night and a group of obviously-cool teenagers was heading towards me. At first I assumed they were 16-17, but kids are really tall these days and they could be 13-14. Anyway, my anxiety level was suddenly off the charts and I got myself the hell out of there.

In my personal experience, I was largely left alone during high school (maybe because I had mostly stopped trying to make friends by then), but middle school was definitely when my classmates either had inside jokes about me with each other or outright despised me for reasons I didn't understand.

As the title says.

Had more problems with early elmentary classes. Had situations with men and male students my entire school life, but defintely more in high school.

You'll find sadly it can follow you after primary type (aged 4-18)education to university(to clarify I don't classify university as school it's a voluntary form of study as opposed to forced primary (school)education)to any situation to me it's arrogance not a physical age .

Well,...some things never change unfortunately. There was about 5 years in there, from the ages of 12-16, where things were rough. We were all transitioning from children to adults, all very insecure. You had to act a certain way, wear certain clothing, associate with the "right" people,...it's all BS for the weak. The bullies, the popular kids,...they were probably the most insecure,...they acted out with emotions, verbal abuse, and physical acts upon anyone that wasn't them. So, they pick on people different than them,...so they can feel better about themselves,...and if they are in a group, which they usually are, then they get their behavior reinforced by their friends. It sucks. It's classic neurotypical behavior,...being uncomfortable with someone different than yourself. When they get to be adults they will still likely be in a group and only associate within an inner circle, whether it be social media, religious groups, political groups,...whatever. This is where discrimination and racism has its roots.

That's a very good question. I think I get instinctively more nervous around middle-schoolers but given the conscious choice would say high-schoolers, logically speaking.

I'm not really afraid of children. But if we're talking about akward stages, then fifteen year olds are the most difficult people to get along with. It's the age of "nobody understands me". It's the height of puberty, and due to the raging hormones, no matter what you say, they mentally don't get that you've been there before. They don't understand that they are not alone, and that the world isn't as hostile as they believe. I feel very sorry for kids that age. If only they'd hold out a few months, their hormones will relax and they'll see the world with "Sweet Sixteen" eyes.

Case in point. At a pep rally at any high school in America, this scenario works out. Notice the reaction of the Sophomores (15 year old students) vs the rest of the students:

"OK, Freshman Class, cheer as loud as you can!!!!"

"WOOOOO!!! YAAAAAAAY!!!!"

"Sophomores, let's here your spirit!"

...silence and scowling....

"Come on, you can do better than that!!!"

.... silence and scowling...

"All right, moving on. Juniors, lets make some noise!!!"

"WOOOOO!!!! YAAAAAYYYY!!!!!"

"Let's hear those Seniors! Show your school spirit!!!!"

"YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! WOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:
They both make me really nervous. I had a job where I occasionally had to work at a high school, and that helped a bit, but roving gangs of youth still scare me. Elementary kids used to scare me too, but don't anymore. I think it's because I'm bigger than them. I was beat up and picked on from elementary school through high school.

New Threads

Top Bottom