• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Which wolf will win?

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
This is the Cherokee legend of "The Two Wolves". It states that each person has a battle between two wolves that are within them. One good and the other bad. The good wolf has many good qualities, the bad wolf many bad qualities. The question of which wolf will win in the end was answered simply. " The one you feed".

If you are interested in the story so far please have a look at this video. It's about 3 minutes long, and well worth the time. Enjoy!

Last edited:
This concept can be applied towards many things in life.

"The one you feed."

It may be good vs. bad. It may be focusing upon what you can do vs. what you cannot do. It may be focusing upon your personal losses vs. what you have. The list can go on and on. It's your attitude towards life.

Within the context of autism, one of the "low dopamine" neurologic conditions, there is a tendency towards depression. With that, some degree of wallowing in self-pity and focusing upon all the bad things in your life, how life has somehow wronged you. When, for many of us, there are things that we can do that may appear to others as special aptitudes or even "gifts" that we may or may not be taking advantage of. It's all about the attitude towards life and choosing what "you feed".

Just a life story here:

Many years ago I was invited to participate in a local powerlifting competition. Three lifts, the deadlift, the squat, and the bench press. Then, I noticed they separated out competitors into classes, by age, gender, no assistance gear (raw) or with gear, tested (clean) or non-tested (performance enhancing drugs). As I am watching and competing, I quickly realized what wasn't there. A special class for people with physical disabilities. So, I am watching an elderly man that had so much arthritis he couldn't wrap his hands around the bar,...doing deadlifts,...with a lot of weight. I watched a person roll up in a wheel chair, paraplegic hop up onto the bench and press over 500lbs off his chest...and won his class amongst other "able bodied" competitors. I watched a person with an artificial leg do deadlifts. I was amazed, but then I kept hearing the mantra of the powerlifter,..."Do not focus upon what you can't do, but rather what you can." If you tear a bicep tendon or pectoralis muscle,...just move onto your leg workout,...don't wallow in what you can't do.

This concept can be applied towards many things in life.

"The one you feed."

It may be good vs. bad. It may be focusing upon what you can do vs. what you cannot do. It may be focusing upon your personal losses vs. what you have. The list can go on and on. It's your attitude towards life.

Within the context of autism, one of the "low dopamine" neurologic conditions, there is a tendency towards depression. With that, some degree of wallowing in self-pity and focusing upon all the bad things in your life, how life has somehow wronged you. When, for many of us, there are things that we can do that may appear to others as special aptitudes or even "gifts" that we may or may not be taking advantage of. It's all about the attitude towards life and choosing what "you feed".

Just a life story here:

Many years ago I was invited to participate in a local powerlifting competition. Three lifts, the deadlift, the squat, and the bench press. Then, I noticed they separated out competitors into classes, by age, gender, no assistance gear (raw) or with gear, tested (clean) or non-tested (performance enhancing drugs). As I am watching and competing, I quickly realized what wasn't there. A special class for people with physical disabilities. So, I am watching an elderly man that had so much arthritis he couldn't wrap his hands around the bar,...doing deadlifts,...with a lot of weight. I watched a person roll up in a wheel chair, paraplegic hop up onto the bench and press over 500lbs off his chest...and won his class amongst other "able bodied" competitors. I watched a person with an artificial leg do deadlifts. I was amazed, but then I kept hearing the mantra of the powerlifter,..."Do not focus upon what you can't do, but rather what you can." If you tear a bicep tendon or pectoralis muscle,...just move onto your leg workout,...don't wallow in what you can't do.

Yes! That is the exact point of this story, that can be applied to so many aspects of life! Thanks for sharing your story.

I've personally fed both wolves, but I hope that I've fed the good wolf more. Sometimes as you said with comorbid conditions like depression it can lead to doubt, self-pity, harmful thoughts and so on. That being said, I always try to remain positive, help when I see that help is needed, and try to be peaceful and loving as much as possible. I have very little money, but I donate a little almost every time I purchase something. I try not to wallow in self-pity. And so on.

All in all I thought this was a good lesson for people to hear. I hope that it helps even one person and the mission will be accomplished.

I made friends with my bad wolf. Making friends with your enemy is the best way to defeat them. I let him howl all he wants but I also let him know who was the alpha. That bad wolf is still a part of you and cannot be destroyed without destroying yourself. Once in a while it comes up with a good idea.

Dark feelings are inevitable. Don't cork them up, it doesn't work. Just take a deep breath and let them go.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom