• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where did you learn to research?

DesertRose

As I've probably stated before, I did not go to college or university. I quit in the 11th grade because i simply couldnt take it anymore, and did corespondence and got my Diploma about a month after the next year would have started. Daddy asked me if I wanted to go to college, and probably would have paid my way, but at the time, it was not just no, but Hell No! I couldn't fathom the thought of ...all those people!! And torment!!! at the time. Then marriage, kids and life happened.

My question is, I see a lot of folks doing these deep studies in a variety of topics, did it come naturally as one with ASD, or did you learn how to study deeply in education, IOW, did you learn the method of studying from school?

My special interest has always been the bible, creationism, archaeology, geology, things like that but I've not been as "deep" in it as some. (The Giants and nephilim always piqued my interest, even from a child).

I think I also have ADD, which kind of throws in a mix of distractions when I'm trying to focus on one, lots of rabbit trails, etc. (Not sure what that is, my intense focus is, long term, but not short term- like so focused I'm unaware of my surroundings, I'm always intensely aware of all going on around me, so that it distracts me from what I'm trying to do. I wish I could drown out that stuff, I may could find some peace, just zone out. But, I'm too distracted. :'( )

Squirrel!!! XD

Anyway, what I am trying to find out is, did you "learn" the mechanics of study, and research in college?

[[Side thought, is this what the higher Language Arts teaches? I took English 1 & 2 in HS, that was all that was required if no college was planned. I love learning, but on my own, not in classes. :/]]

All I know to do is keep searching the internet for keywords and look up and read articles. I more or less scan, to see if its interesting, or on topic, but word for word reading is boring. LOL

Is there some article, course of some kind, website, or something that can teach me these things, how to really dig into research, take notes and study?

I feel so dumb and left behind, not to mention my mind isn't what it used to be. My memory is getting worse with age, it used to be very good.
Thanks!

Can't say it was something I methodically learned. For me it was just "an itch that needed scratching".

But yes, studying is a skill in itself. Where some do better at it than others. For myself all I can cite are sayings like "necessity being the mother of invention". To harness the force of your own will.

Once you graduate from high school, it's all on you when it comes to self-improvement. Where you can't expect or depend on anyone else to get you to attain whatever goals you may seek.

Though I can't help but emphasize one major caveat. That higher education isn't for everyone.

Last edited:
Most every thing I've learned in life, I learned on my own. I am a naturally born autodidact. Going to school for me is pointless. All I ever got was bullied by the other students, sensory overloaded and the linear teaching style of the school curriculum just clashes with my non-linear way of thinking.

Self taught as with everything else I wanted to get my hands on and get serious about. The more accurate information there is and the more legitimate criticism I get, the better the result. Trying to get both is a pain sometimes.

Last edited:
Libraries and now the internet ( because where I live is a different language and have no pleasure in the idea of reading in the language and second, have chronic social phobia - which was manageable in my country).

Most every thing I've learned in life, I learned on my own. I am a naturally born autodidact. Going to school for me is pointless. All I ever got was bullied by the other students, sensory overloaded and the linear teaching style of the school curriculum just clashes with my non-linear way of thinking.
That must be what is going on with my AS son, he sees school as pointless in some aspects. But he is young, and I don't think he realizes just how much there is out there to learn. Just not interested in what he "needs", but only what he wants to know. I don't know really what to do with him, but PS is not an option.

...word for word reading is boring. LOL

Is there some article, course of some kind, website, or something that can teach me these things, how to really dig into research, take notes and study?

Really digging into research and studying IS word for word reading. I think that you're only interested in 'research' because you have the idea that it's something it is not. You might learn to research more efficiently, but you're not going to learn to do research without doing research. Sort of like you might learn to exercise more efficiently, but you're not going to find out how to get stronger without applying your muscles to exercise.

I don't know of a real, practical way around this for you. I've seen sci-fi where people can 'download' information rather than learning it conventionally. I've heard of people playing recordings while sleeping to learn subliminally, I'm not sure how effective this may be.

Pre=Google, I did all my online research on other search engines such as Alta Vista etc.

Now I do everything on Google.

I self-taught at the library as a kid. During high school I got some lessons on how to distinguish trustworthy information from less than reliable sources. When I was studying in university (first farmacology, then archaeology and finally med school) I learned how to do scientific literature research methodically.

Research involves lots and lots of reading though. Even when you have found an article from a reputable source, you still have to dig through the material to see what methods were used, what sample sizes and statistical tests, and whether the conclusions drawn from the research are sound and logical.

Last edited:

Learning how to Learn, at Coursera:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn?newQueryParams=[object+Object]

About this course: This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Using these approaches, no matter what your skill levels in topics you would like to master, you can change your thinking and change your life. If you’re already an expert, this peep under the mental hood will give you ideas for: turbocharging successful learning, including counter-intuitive test-taking tips and insights that will help you make the best use of your time on homework and problem sets. If you’re struggling, you’ll see a structured treasure trove of practical techniques that walk you through what you need to do to get on track. If you’ve ever wanted to become better at anything, this course will help serve as your guide.

I've taken several courses at Coursera, some cost, other do not. You would have to join to find free courses that are all online. I learned research techniques in regular cegep/college classes like english and history and biology. So that I could write papers for the courses to pass.

Good question. I learned the scientific method from my chemistry teacher, which I've applied to all aspects of life, including research. I learned how to identify reliable sources from my English teacher. This was all at a community college, which is still the best money and time I've ever spent.

I started researching when I was very young. My parents had a set of encyclopedias and after I discovered them, I was hooked. This is how I researched everything. The problem with encyclopedias is that they are not current. After I was 16 or so I was able to buy my own every other year. Occasionally I would go to the library, but it was usually to crowded for me to think. This went on for many years. I did not buy a computer until I was in my late forties. I did not know about the internet before then. WOW! I was delighted to have all that information at my fingertips. No more encyclopedias! Now I research anything that has my attention at the time and it is great.

It's not something I would say I learned; Looking for information is very much like looking for anything else -- you think of all the places you might find it and then you look in all those places until you find whatever it is you're searching for.

The only difference I can think of is that what you are looking for tends to change as you research -- at least for complex things.....I guess research is more like a scavenger hunt, one in which each thing you find tells you (or gives you clues) about all the other things you have to find.

That must be what is going on with my AS son, he sees school as pointless in some aspects. But he is young, and I don't think he realizes just how much there is out there to learn. Just not interested in what he "needs", but only what he wants to know. I don't know really what to do with him, but PS is not an option.

My advice to you is. Just let him pig/Benge out on his want to knows and keep introducing the need to knows along the way. Don't in any way stop him from pursuing his want to knows because if you do, He'll take that as a personal insult. If he starts obsessing about a topic. Just keep reminding him that there are other topics out there in this world and other people have different interests then what he's into. Some advice for ya. Try picking a subject yourself. Something that he's not interested in and then obsess about it to him and see if that doesn't help put things into perspective for him. When he has to feel the same way you do about being talk to death about a subject he's not interested in. Then He'll understand why it's not ok to bore other people with your obsessive subjects.

@FreeDiver
Hehe, I do bore him with my topics of interest. ;)
Our biggest problem is he's into minecraft so much. I do realize though, he has actually learned some things on there, some chemistry, math, spelling. He's good about looking things up on the internet. I'm amazed at what he has learned without strictly adhering to a curriculum.
Thank you so much for the tips, I will have to keep all that in mind. It will help me relax a bit, also.

I started researching when I was very young. My parents had a set of encyclopedias and after I discovered them, I was hooked. This is how I researched everything. The problem with encyclopedias is that they are not current. After I was 16 or so I was able to buy my own every other year. Occasionally I would go to the library, but it was usually to crowded for me to think. This went on for many years. I did not buy a computer until I was in my late forties. I did not know about the internet before then. WOW! I was delighted to have all that information at my fingertips. No more encyclopedias! Now I research anything that has my attention at the time and it is great.
Sounds just like me. I loved our encyclopedias! Start searching for a particular thing and end up all over the book, just browsing along for an hour or so. Loved it. And when we got a computer, I was in "hog heaven" as they say. My only problem there, is I could print a stack in no time. I don't know what it is about printing out things, but it's fun. LOL Especially making books!
I think the library overwhelmed me, I didn't have much time to look through each book, and OCD overtakes me where I must search every page. I don't get much done that way...that's really what I meant about the word for word reading being boring, I'm notorious for getting hold of non revelent material.

Last edited:
Pre-internet, 3 books.
The same thing can be written in different ways.
3 books on the same subject throws up facts common to each.
I trusted what was repeated in three books and ignored the rest.

In general, school was just a test of memory at exam time and a place to observe and mimic peers.

Correspondence courses and night school while raising three children meant I was back to the books which didn’t always contain all I really wanted to know. More questions than answers.

College in my thirties; and by this time the affordable internet, had tutors who could show me how to ‘research’
The amount of information I could hunt down from reputable sources on the www was incredible.
The further I went the less things were ‘set in stone’
Apart from maths, maths appeared absolute. Dependable.

Overall I had to be interested or curious or I wouldn’t really put the effort in.

I like the idea of self teaching and i find that I enjoy it,I self taught myself how to draw and I also use to spend hours reading up on mythology like Greek,Norse,Celtic and Egyptian which is still a interest for me today,i find self teaching to be easier because I can go at my own pace and I can focus more on something that interests me.

New Threads

Top Bottom