• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where can I find part-time IT work, particularly for those on the spectrum? It can't be that hard.

Ugly Adam

Hello.

I just got out of college with 8 IT certifications. I had a part-time job but I am not sure if my layoff was related to my disability. They simply stopped calling me to the assignments, saying that the remaining jobs are small, for supervisors to finish themselves. However, I have no recollection of them ever telling other employees such.

Does anybody by any chance know of any opportunities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I am also willing to relocate, even abroad if relocation assistance is provided by the employer. Part-time, weekend hours (Fri, Sat, Sun) are preferred.

Hello.

I've already tried these options otherwise I wouldn't have posted here. It's not that easy. You have to network. Most of those jobs you specify are for those with at least some years experience in the field, not people fresh out of college.

Oh, okay. Every job posted in this list is a dead end? There are 2,700 options in that list.

I totally understand the challenge to secure the perfect job that meets all your requirements but you have no experience. That can be a challenge.

Would it be right to say that you may have to get your foot in the door via an entry level job and then work your way up? I understand if that isn’t an option.

Maybe someone here has connections for exactly what you are looking for. It’s a great group of people here.

Once again, good luck in your search. I don’t have the connections you are wanting but I do wish you the very best in your search.

There are virtually no entry level jobs on these job boards. The amount of hours and effort that it would take to try to find a job on a job board would mean it would be more economical just to go right back to the warehouse where I worked before going into IT school.

Finding a job is very time consuming and does require a lot of effort. It's basically a full time job itself and can easily take 3-6 months. That is what it takes to get started in a profession.

Don’t give up, Adam. You worked hard to achieve these certifications. You can step into a company and eventually achieve the career level and role you desire.

I’ve never met you other that our brief exchange here on Autismforums.com but I have mentored dozens of career speakers that are in just the same spot you are in.

You can get to where you want to be ... either from networking or from cold calling with a resume. You can do this but it will be more difficult and take more time than earning your certifications.

I hope my words don’t sound like lecturing. I want to encourage you to invest in this next phase of your career. I want you to know that I wish you the best of luck and that good fortune will be evident to you my friend.

I'm not exactly sure how one starts networking in IT to find a job but for architecture/art/design industries one can do it by attending organised events and looking for opportunities in the city itself outside of the looking for a job, as well as managing a social media account with parts of your best projects to advertise yourself (places like LinkedIn, Instagram etc.). Have you tried anything like it?

Hello.

I just got out of college with 8 IT certifications. I had a part-time job but I am not sure if my layoff was related to my disability. They simply stopped calling me to the assignments, saying that the remaining jobs are small, for supervisors to finish themselves. However, I have no recollection of them ever telling other employees such.

Does anybody by any chance know of any opportunities in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I am also willing to relocate, even abroad if relocation assistance is provided by the employer. Part-time, weekend hours (Fri, Sat, Sun) are preferred.

Apple has a stable of work from home customer service workers. (I don't know any Apple products; found this when helping my friend with a job search. Not sure if he has applied yet.) Kelly Services may also be recruiting for this position. Don't know any more than this, but you should be able to take it from here if you are interested.

There are virtually no entry level jobs on these job boards. The amount of hours and effort that it would take to try to find a job on a job board would mean it would be more economical just to go right back to the warehouse where I worked before going into IT school.

Me again. I work at Amazon. Just a grunt, but a lot of their IT people started as tier 1 grunts. IT starts at level 3, meaning you'd make at least 18.00 an hour plus acceptable health benefits and tuition remission. Benefits start your first day; tuition remission kicks in at 9 months, meaning more IT if you want it and opportunities within the company. I wish you luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom