• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When Science is Slow: New studies providing evidence for the Moon Effect (Lunacy)

Tom

V.I.P Member
I've long know I have strange short manic phases. It especially stood out in comparison to my normal Aspie introversion. But only a manic phase and no depressive one that followed. On the positive side I had more energy, more confidence, less anxiety. Friends would often note my out of character social (or dare devil) behavior. On the negative side came restlessness, I was easier agitated and lost perspective. These periods seemed to last 2-4 days.

I never considered any correlation to the moon phase until one night several years ago I happened to walk outside during a very obvious manic phase and see the full moon. Curious, I kept a rough record of my manic and moon phases for about a year. The manic phase occurred at or near the full moon 8-9 times and was out of sync the rest of the time. Once, I experienced an unusual double phase one week apart. Reading up on it at the same time, although it has been noted in writings going back 2000 years, science in all but a very few studies could not verify it and categorized it as popular myth. One thing I noted however, was that the studies in general were looking for aberrant behaviors like increased crime, hospitalizations, etc. And I wondered if they were looking in the wrong place. The effects, on me at least, were subtler and I certainly wasn't temporarily turned madman. But my conclusion was the matter was inconclusive and perhaps some other body/chemistry cycle was behind it.

Very recent studies are challenging the current disbelief with new approaches and more complex construction.

The mood-altering power of the Moon

One new Finnish study also found a unexpected correlation by studying homicides over a 50 year plus period. Homicides were 15% down during the full moon.

Lunar cycle in homicides: a population-based time series study in Finland

So is it proven yet? Is that what I have? No and I don't know. More needs to be done to provide sufficient evidence. I can say I would not be surprised if it proves to be true.

I thought one of the important observations of the article in the OP is the idea of "sensitive individuals," meaning that a factor that would have zero influence on most people, could nonetheless have a big effect on a small subset of people. This is also true of autism in general. I think a family environment of high emotionality, criticism, and drama may transform a vulnerability to autism into a full blown case; or possibly an environment of little interpersonal interaction would lead to speech and other social delays. And yet, the child with a little less genetic loading might come out okay, while another child with a larger genetic vulnerability might not. Also, a child with autism genes and also anxiety genes, may have a rougher time than one with autism genes alone.

None of this has anything to do with the moon! All I wanted to comment on was the individual differences effect, causing changes in mental status for vulnerable individuals and none at all in the remainder of individuals.

Ask any ER nurse or doctor- they'll tell you things tend to get more crazy in the ER around the full moon. It's a well known phenomenon. Having worked in an ER myself for 2 years, I can attest that this is true.

If I am not mistaken I read along the way that some other species, perhaps insects, have proven lunar influenced behaviors. But most physiological things have or more to the point had some purpose. I have read some speculation on what that might be if there was in fact some lunar influence on people. One obvious factor was the presence of some light at night (though the light itself may not be the bodies trigger). In the past it might have allowed for extra activity during bright moon phases such as work or hunting. Groups or individuals that took advantage of it might have gained some advantage. While we have only farmed several thousand years, if you subscribe to the evolution theory we have made our living as hunter gatherers for far much longer, that is millions of years. So additional gathering or hunting at night (perhaps nocturnal animals/fish) is a possibility. It also comes to my mind that it would also be an opportune time for raiding or being raided. Another possibility that occurred to me only after seeing another thread here is on the opposite end of the spectrum, a preferred time for og and oga sitting in a tree... K.I.S.S.I.N.G.

Manic behavior may also be the muddled origin of werewolf myths. No disrespect to modern versions, but the oldest werewolf stories/legends mostly involve a regular person being under a spell or enchantment. While the old vampire legends involve an evil spirit inhabiting a deceased persons body.

Last edited:
One obvious factor was the presence of some light at night (though the light itself may not be the bodies trigger). In the past it might have allowed for extra activity during bright moon phases such as work or hunting. Groups or individuals that took advantage of it might have gained some advantage.

That was what always made the most sense to me. When the moon is full you can see better at night. So people who would normally be hampered by the darkness are now out doing stuff. And often there's not much to do in the middle of the night besides get into trouble.

Ask any ER nurse or doctor- they'll tell you things tend to get more crazy in the ER around the full moon. It's a well known phenomenon. Having worked in an ER myself for 2 years, I can attest that this is true.
This is true. It is easily seen in clinical settings.
I worked for a time in an institute for hydrocephalus children and for a couple of nights on full moon
they were crying and seemed miserable. The didn't see outside light from the moon, wouldn't have
even understood, but, it was like they were being driven crazy. Fluid influence.

I always feel better during full moons.
I don't keep up with the moon cycles, but, when I feel the more energetic and less depressed
it is always full moon.
My theory was always about how lunar cycles rule tides.
We are mostly water and salt also, so why not? It should have a bodily affect I would think.

Also, according to a documentary about the moon I watched a while ago, police officers report an increase in criminal activity on a full moon. I think that increased activity (of any kind) has to do with the extra light at night. People feel more alert, it puts the body clock out of whack.

We are made up of a lot of water, right? every cell.
look at the moons effects on the seas? It's effects on water.

I think it has something to do with the gravitational pull?
It's been years since I looked into this, my recall is vague.

some (not all) women's cycles can sync with the lunar phases.

(vague recall) - there are turtles which only lay there eggs on a beach in sync with one of the moons phases.

Not very scientific information I know @Tom,

I fail to understand how,
if the moon can affect nature in various ways,
humans think they're above these effects.
pooh-pooh the idea as nonsense just because they can't prove it.

That's just normal. Probably not related.

But to answer the question. Yes, unusually so. But it is just coincidence of course.

220px-HorrorMonstersNo1Pg1Crop.png

Well I am up on my shots, and take Frontline Flea and Tick prevention tabs regularly if that's what you mean.

"Even a man who is pure in heart and faithfully uses a flea collar may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Or something to that effect. :p

Manic behavior may also be the muddled origin of werewolf myths. No disrespect to modern versions, but the oldest werewolf stories/legends mostly involve a regular person being under a spell or enchantment. While the old vampire legends involve an evil spirit inhabiting a deceased persons body.

Wolves were considered gods in pre-Christian East Europe, mainly among the Slavics although wolf worship may have extended deep into eastern Germany. It's possible that for reasons other posters have noticed that men who became better and more ferocious hunters during the full moon may have been compared to wolves and the age old association of wolves with the moon. Back then such a connection would be considered a compliment. It's likely that such men were rumored to become possessed by the spirits of wolf gods during the full moon and thus were held in awe as "wolf men". The root "wer-" means "man" in an ancient Germanic dialect. In pre-Christian eastern Germany it was common to give male children names containing the word "wolf" (or an equivalent) in the hopes that they would become wolf men during the full moon and thus bring down the blessings of the wolf gods onto the tribe. As late as 1900 CE names such as "Wolfgang" and "Wolfbrand" were in use in Germany, names with their roots in the ancient wolf religions.

When I worked retail the public would often get a little nuttier during the full moon. When someone was irrationally angry or something weird would happen we would joke "must be a full moon" it was a joke, but it was almost always correct!

Me, I can't sleep on fullmoon nights. I will be awake all night on a sort of "high". I feel good, serene and not sleepy at all.

I do actually believe there is something to the full moon having an effect. I suspect the lack of evidence in studies (not all studies - some have indicated a correlation) has to do with what they are measuring. It doesn't necessarily mean there is more crime as some studies have examined. I think it likely it is more nuanced, something finer in the brains operation.

My sister is an ER nurse, and she said it’s absolutely true as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom