• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

when misunderstanding leads to heart ache

PinkPenguin29

So this is a common problem with me that has been a problem since I was a child. When someone is telling me something something gets dropped in my understanding of what's been said. When I realize it's an important conversation I try very hard to pay attention to every word, and I've practiced enough that it happens less often. However, every once in a while, especially over emotional news it happens again.

Recently my husband and I found out our dog that we've had for our entire relationship has lymphoma. What my husband relayed to me was that he had a couple months, and with treatment and surgery equaling $8000, we would have a year, maybe two. Sadly we can't just spend that kind of money, so we settled on making him as comfortable as possible until the end. What I processed is that we had a year with the dog, and two with treatment. I honestly don't know if I blocked part of that out, didn't listen carefully enough, or my brain betraying me. Eventually my misunderstanding came out, and I realized instead of having a year I have a couple of months, maybe slightly longer with the pills he prescribed.

Since Covid Started I feel like I have been having more of these moments than I've had in a long time. I've also been having a harder time communicating my meaning to others. My husband is wonderful and understanding, but it has made for a bunch of frustrating moments.
My doctor up'ed my daily meds and prescribed Hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine unfortunately is a little too effective in relaxing me and I can't take it without falling asleep for a couple hours shortly after. my regular meds help, but it's gonna be a while before I really notice a difference from the higher dosage.
I have such a hard time copping with stress, and being misunderstood all the time, as well as misunderstanding others all the time, does not help.
does this happen to anyone else? what do you do when it does?

Yes, this happens to me all the time at work and with my friend. I hate it and it makes me feel so stupid, but I have to remember to be patient with myself. My boss will ask me a question or explain something to me and I will literally short circuit, and not hear what he said. I have a coworker who fills in those gaps when I don't answer quick enough which is helpful. The compromise is, now my bosses and other coworkers go to her for help instead of me, which sucks because I don't want others to think I'm stupid. What I've been trying to do is learn to stay calm and be mindful of staying calm when I'm met with multiple tasks so I can listen more effectively and with confidence. It's still totally a struggle though, and I definitely resonate with you.

Yes, this happens to me all the time at work and with my friend. I hate it and it makes me feel so stupid, but I have to remember to be patient with myself. My boss will ask me a question or explain something to me and I will literally short circuit, and not hear what he said. I have a coworker who fills in those gaps when I don't answer quick enough which is helpful. The compromise is, now my bosses and other coworkers go to her for help instead of me, which sucks because I don't want others to think I'm stupid. What I've been trying to do is learn to stay calm and be mindful of staying calm when I'm met with multiple tasks so I can listen more effectively and with confidence. It's still totally a struggle though, and I definitely resonate with you.

Thank you so much for sharing, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I constantly worry about people thinking I'm stupid.

This happens a lot simply because language simply is not adequate to the human needs. It does the job and for those with great command of it, a better job.....You are not stupid at all!

New Threads

Top Bottom