• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When i do i know when its too much?

FlowerFlo

I have a hard time noticing when i dont have much social energy left or things are too much until its too late.
This leds to lots of meltdowns and sensory overloads. The more i mask the worse it gets.
Any ideas what i could do to notice these things more early?

Most I can notice is an overly-active head from processing all that interaction and a feeling of exhaustion in the eyes. This disparity between a hyper brain and a tired body is the only warning sign I rely on.

You're 16,...that's a fair assessment,...I don't think many teenagers are at a point developmentally to be "in tune" with their physiology and know how to deal with it. Your body, your brain, physiologically, is still in a bit of "flux" and your neurotransmitters and receptors are still fine-tuning themselves,...and throw in the hormonal adjustments,...it's no wonder. I would think nearly every teenager is going through similar things,...autism or not. At this point, all I can say is be somewhat "self-aware" of how your brain is working, but it may not be until your 20's before you get a good handle on things. I know,...doesn't help you now,...sorry.

In the mean time, some tips that has helped me:
1. Diet: More "good" fats,...less "bad" fats,...less carbs. Flatten out your insulin curve. Insulin creates vasodilation,...and in the brain, can cause an exacerbation of sensory issues. Carbs and "bad" fats are pro-oxidative (oxygen radicals)/pro-inflammatory,...and also affect neurotransmitter function and cell function.
2. A good broad-spectrum probiotic. Read up on the "gut-brain axis".
3. Have a regimen of light exercise and getting yourself outdoors. This is a case where if a little bit is good,...a little bit more might not be in the sense that vigorous exercise can has a rush of pro-oxidant release (oxygen radicals).
You just want that "mood boost".
4. Reveratrol, N-acetyl cysteine, and CoQ10 supplement. Methyl B12, methyl folate. Zinc, chelated magnesium, vitamin D3/K2.
5. There are "anti-inflammatory" and "autism" diets out there,...but I think you can get too engrossed in a "diet" that it becomes too restrictive,...and you've got other problems. I would suggest educating yourself on what foods are in those diets, though. It is helpful to understand the concept of "eat this,...not that".

**Read up on the studies within the context of autism. You and your parents,...and your doctor,...decide if any of this would be helpful to try. Educate yourself with good information,...as far as studies go,...I would start with Google Scholar and PubMed search engines.

Just like anyone else with a health condition with any other organ,...thyroid, pancreas, kidney, heart, etc.,...we have to take special care of our brain health. I don't think this gets said enough. If your brain is not in optimal health, then you're more likely to experience symptoms,...including those nasty meltdown/shutdown episodes.

As we often say to parents at the hospital,...some things just need a "tincture of time".

Take care and keep us updated as time goes on.

Last edited:
These things are learned through experience. With time you will figure out how much you can take and when you reach your limits. I suggest to try and keep a dairy of sorts where you reflect on the day. Just to give yourself a sense of how much is too much. Also keep in mind if it is possible if you are hungry at points that you feel bad, I've found that overstimulation and hunger are easily confused.

For me personally, I can tell when I'm overstimulated when I feel like I'm less in control of my thoughts. My head turns a big foggy and people need to repeat their words to me.

For others I know it also can show in irritability, I have a friend who gets defensive fast when he is overstimulated.

With type II diabetis plus taking testosterone cypionate, I watch my metabolism. I burn fats crazily, but simple non branching carb polymers are my worst enemy. I found that carbs bound to protein, as in legumes, allow a slow release of sugars that provides sustained energy. And, for some reason rice noodles are well tolerated. So tomorrow, when I get some Galanga, Kaffir Lime, and Sour Tamarind, I am going to make Tom Kha Gai and Pad Thai Goong. Nobody said that healthy eating can't be delicious.

Serious advice here. Also listen to your body. Sometimes go to bed early, skip something if you feel rundown. Take a mental health day if you are wiped out. Yes, sometimes a day off, or a early bedtime will help you back on track. A hot hot shower or bath, that helps relax. If your family has a handheld electric massager - use that your back and shoulders.

So when you feel you are getting irritated, or overwhelmed, that's a clue that meltdown is currently underway.

When I was your age, I had the exact same situation you are describing, which also lead to many meltdowns.

I now cannot cope with groups of people on a casual basis, so I can voice my no, without feeling guilty. Doesn't mean I want to do that, as I would love to be in that kind of environment, but I know I will fair terribly, so have no choice but to keep away.

I guess it is a certain amount of self awareness that kicks in as one gets older; but nothing stopping a younger person doing the same, when asking that question.

I have a hard time noticing when i dont have much social energy left or things are too much until its too late.
This leds to lots of meltdowns and sensory overloads. The more i mask the worse it gets.
Any ideas what i could do to notice these things more early?

I've struggled with this too. I work in a coffeeshop, and it can get really busy. I have substantial hearing loss, so don't have to explain that working on till and speaking with customers is less than ideal for me, but even just making drinks and food I can reach a point in a busy day where I just absolutely shut down- thankfully it's usually near the end of my shift but it can get overwhelming, and has definitely resulted in some embarrassing experiences. If you struggle with identifying your needs in general (when you're hungry, thirsty, tired, etc), I have found recently that taking breaks to "use the washroom" or "do the dishes", and other excuses to get away from people allows me to recharge a bit before my energy reserves are depleted and also gives me some time to check in with myself. I struggle with identifying these needs, so I'll try to do a bit of everything- drink some water, eat a little something if I can, stim in any appropriate ways, and use breathing exercises to help with anxiety management- I've also found this helps calm my mind down to a point where I can sometimes identify the needs that would have otherwise just felt like an unidentifiable lack of something.

I would also suggest just masking less if you are in environments where it is physically and emotionally safe for you to do so. For example, if you mask your stims, and are worried about people seeing you in a particular way because of them, there are many stims that are more normalized for neurotypicals, like humming, pencil tapping, knee bouncing- I started making a real attempt to reduce how much I mask at work and it has helped me a lot. Last summer I was new to the job, and was worried about fitting in, so hid anything that would set me apart but when i got home I would be such a mess that my first means of regulation was being violent against myself, like pulling my hair, hitting my legs, trying to break my phone in half with my bare hands, etc. It's a bit funny thinking about it now because the fix was so easy but it was exhausting at the time. I don't do all of my stims, at least not intentionally, but I do hum, talk in accents (French, and posh British mostly, because people don't think i'm trying to offend anybody), etc. I also wear a mask at all times- it is no longer mandatory where I live, but I have found it helps me a lot as I don't have to force facial expressions to appease others feelings as much. If you have object obsessions I would suggest bringing some of those with you too! I like neat rocks, so have at least 3 in my pockets on a daily basis, and I also wear a good deal of jewellery to fidget with. A small notebook to get out thoughts can also be a helpful means of identifying your needs. At work this may be easier if you have designated breaktimes, but if people know about your diagnosis and you can explain your experience, it shouldn't be a problem to request short breaks so you can regulate. My sister isn't on the spectrum but gets bad anxiety and uses maintaining her duolingo streak as a reason to excuse herself to learn spanish in the washroom, lol.

I am also going to say that I agree with other responses about the importance of sleep- I also have ADHD and can have struggles with sleep, but it maybe makes the most significant difference in my ability to regulate emotions and energy.

Sorry for the lengthy response- it's just been something I've been thinking about a lot myself lately! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom